• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Primary users of platform 0 at King's Cross

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon0844

Veteran Member
I'm not using King's Cross as much as before, but the other day I went to get the 1857 KGC to WGC, which generally departs (in all of my previous experience) from platform 11, or possibly 9 or 10. It also seems to be booked to sometimes go from platform 7.

However, I've noticed more and more FCC trains are now booked to use platform 0. Like it was that day, as I went to 11 and then saw it come up as 0 - about 5 minutes before departure. That's quite a walk and now it's not very quick to get there at this time, as people board EC trains and there's the narrow walkway between the two buildings.

With the other platforms being closed for work, I was wondering if anyone knew how many trains are now due to use platform 0 - and how it may or may not change when the station is completed. Traditionally, most trains in the daytime will from 9-11 and that's where I'll often go to first 'if in doubt' using that exit of the Underground to enter King's Cross. If time is tight, seeing more trains for 0 will probably mean many people missing trains - but you can't exactly go to 0 and expect your next service from there!!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GNERman

Established Member
One reason is no steam/diesel are allowed on Platform 0 due to above offices...

Last edited:

djw1981

Established Member
suspect they meant no diesel or steam due to exhaust. i.e. electric only

Established Member
That's what I was thinking, but I'm sure I read that platform 0 had been used for a GC service recently?

jon0844

Veteran Member
Well, EC has had MK4s there.. but not seen a diesel yet! But, as I said, I am not there that much at the moment.

silentone

That's what I was thinking, but I'm sure I read that platform 0 had been used for a GC service recently?

There seems to be some old wives tales that HST's are being put in there although none of the people who talk about it have actually seen this. Surely the driver of any HST would see they're being routed into '0' and contact the signaller!?

Established Member
It was a 180 that was supposedly there, but as you say I've heard this as second hand knowledge.

GNERman

Established Member

MCR247

Established Member
Fine their whole passenger fleet if you want to nitpick

GNERman

Established Member
ok, all I know is that apparently Platform 0 must be used by Electric Stock, ie 91's and EMU's... I wouldn't want to be in one of the offices above with Tornado underneath me...

Aictos

Established Member
End of the day, Platform 0 is banned to Diesel and Steam traction because of the low roof due to the offices above which is why only Electric traction is permitted.

Therefore I cannot see why the signaller would put either banned class into the platform as quite rightly they would be answering some serious questions as would the driver if he took such a route.

I so agree with the OP's point about the distance between Platform 11 and Platform 0 but all I can suggest is you keep a eye on the screens in the main concourse area simply because it reduces the distance you need to get to your train.

philjo

Established Member
The last few occasions I have been at KX in the evening peak hours, EC were using Platform 0 with a 225 set for Edinburgh.

Things might move around a bit soon as I understand that platforms are due to 6-7 close in mid-August for the refurbishment works & FCC have a number of evening peak services from these platforms at present.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
.. I wouldn't want to be in one of the offices above with Tornado underneath me...
Why not?!

ajax103 said:
End of the day, Platform 0 is banned to Diesel and Steam traction because of the low roof due to the offices above which is why only Electric traction is permitted.
Indeed, the low roof wouldn't allow the fumes to disperse very well, making the environment pleasant for anyone boarding at that platform

jon0844

Veteran Member
Stand on platform 8 with the rest of us!

Looking at the screens turned off during peak periods?!!

I'll usually find out on my mobile, so it's rarely a problem - except for some reason my phone can take a long time to get a signal when I come out of the tube station, and it means I can't check straight away.

Of course, some new screens (which are coming I believe) in the underground station to show departures above would help considerably. There's loads of room at the new northern ticket hall and it's sheltered and then easy to exit for 0-8 or 9-11 as required.

mrcheek

Established Member
I think he is referring to the (un) 'pleasant' remark in your reply. It makes no difference really as I'm sure most people knew what you meant.

Plus the suggestion elsewhere that electric trains couldnt use Platform 0.
two pretty major errors in a single thread. Pay attention guys!

still, not as bad as me the other week talking about how HSTs had been in use for bears...

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Ah, I see. I put pleasant instead of unpleasant. Any normal person would have pointed that out sensibly, rather than asking if it is a "typo thread"!

mrcheek

Established Member
Ah, I see. I put pleasant instead of unpleasant. Any normal person would have pointed that out sensibly, rather than asking if it is a "typo thread"!

any normal person would read my comment, check their wording and laugh at my joke and their mistake.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I didn't think writing the wrong word by mistake counted as a 'typo' anyway.

And if it's a joke, why no use of a ' ;) ' emoticon? You can't read tone from text, so that's what emoticons are for.

Established Member
Yes I know that thankyou very much but what i'm implying is that Platform 7 may be in use by an HST so the FCC has to go onto 0 because it can...

Also, since when was this electric - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:FCC_03179_at_NVR.jpg

Huh? I think not...

If you knew that, why did you say that electric trains were banned then? Plus you didn't imply that platform 7 may be in use either.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
If you knew that, why did you say that electric trains were banned then? Plus you didn't imply that platform 7 may be in use either.
He just can't admit he typed the wrong thing by mistake, which I did. Easily done!

Fred26

Is platform 0 12-car platform?

As an aside, does anyone know if the work at Kings Cross involves 'filling in the large space behind the buffers of platforms 1-6' like as has happened with 7 & 8? I assume it will happen at some stage, because it would create some more precious space. I also assume that platforms 7 & 8 were filled in behind the buffers early on because it gave more space on that corner. Am I correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.