• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Prince Philip the Duke of Edinburgh, aged 99, has died

Status
Not open for further replies.

brad465

Established Member
Breaking news, Prince Philip has died:

Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh

Prince Philip, Queen Elizabeth II's husband, has died aged 99, Buckingham Palace has announced.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Journeyman

Established Member

brad465

Established Member
I was listening to BBC 6 Music when the programme was interrupted to announce it. The tone of the announcement initially made it sound like a nuclear attack or something...
I saw the news flash on the BBC news' website, but did go to iPlayer to watch the BBC One interruption of regular broadcasting. I didn't recognise the presenter though, only they were female.

ABB125

Established Member
Sad news, only two months away from his 100th birthday.
Must be awful for the Royal Family, after all the work he's done.

Last edited:

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
So didn't quite make the telegram ;)

Seriously, very sad to hear. Someone who, on looking at a couple of obituaries, seems to have made a huge behind-the-scenes contribution to keeping the monarchy reasonably relevant. Also remarkable to note that he was supporting conservation efforts back in the early 60s - long before that kind of thing became fashionable or mainstream. Must be a very sad time for the rest of the Royal Family. RIP.

Journeyman

Established Member
Sad news, only two months away from his 100th birthday
I'm sorry, but there's nothing fundamentally tragic about the death of a man aged 99.

It's obviously terrible for the Queen and her family, but I'm not going to pretend to be upset about a very old man who I never met.

Strathclyder

Established Member
My overall thoughts on the Royal Family put squarely to one side, he had a damn good innings to say the least (2 months away from his 100th birthday). His World War II service and decades serving as the Duke of Edinburgh will no doubt be what he's best remembered for in the eyes of most of us, mine included. Can't imagine how the Queen or the rest of the Royals are feeling right now. RIP

Journeyman

Established Member
Indeed 100 in June.

With the media reaction lord alone knows what will happen when the Queen goes - hopefully not for a few years yet.
I wonder how well she'll cope without him, to be honest.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
This is a seriously sad situation, for younger members of the forum like myself this is the first time we've had to experience a major royal passing away. I was too young to remember the Queen Mother or Princess Margaret. It's very surreal.

Nicola Sturgeon has posted her condolences on Twitter.

I am saddened by news that the Duke of Edinburgh has died. I send my personal and deepest condolences - and those of
@scotgov
and the people of Scotland - to Her Majesty The Queen and her family.

Some of the replies on her Tweet are not making for good reading, it's made me embarrassed to be Scottish.

I wonder how they'd react if it was their grandad, great-grandad or father.

Metrolink

It’s an upsetting announcement for the royal family, and the Queen.
However I agree with @Journeyman, he has lived a life full of dedication, selflessness and respect, and he has lived longer than most WW2 survivors, he has served his time as a well-respected member of the royal family.
This is a seriously sad situation, for younger members of the forum like myself this is the first time we've had to experience a major royal passing away. I was too young to remember the Queen Mother or Princess Margaret. It's very surreal.
Agreed, nor have I experienced any situation like this one.

Jamiescott1

I remember the hysteria when Diana died. The way people reacted was embarrassing.

Radio 1 played slow songs all week.
The shop I was working in at the time closed for the funeral so I missed the funeral as had a lay in

Darandio

Established Member
Some of the replies on her Tweet are not making for good reading, it's made me embarrassed to be Scottish.

It's not unexpected these days, it's often a rush to make the most crass comment in order to be noticed.

Although I would never post anything derogatory and give best wishes to his family and friends, i'm not particularly bothered by the news this morning, it's another old person that's had a good innings and there's no direct effect on me emotionally. Like when the Queen Mother or Princess Margaret died, it's not one of those 'you remember where you were' moments for me unlike the morning I woke up when Diana had died, but that was because of the circumstances and her age.

brad465

Established Member

Nicola Sturgeon has posted her condolences on Twitter.

There's a similar situ in reply to Starmer's tribute from hard Corbyn supporters, and also when he paid tribute to the late Tory MP who recently died. They seem to think that no respect or dignity should be shown for one's opponents, even though these examples are human losses and go beyond politics.

Journeyman

Established Member
I remember the hysteria when Diana died. The way people reacted was embarrassing.

Radio 1 played slow songs all week.
The shop I was working in at the time closed for the funeral so I missed the funeral as had a lay in
Oh, man, wasn't it just?

I deliberately made sure I was at work during the funeral.

DerekC

Established Member
"No man is an island entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main ..... any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee."
John Donne (1572-1631) Devotions Upon Emergent Occasions, Meditation XVII.

Gloster

Established Member
I am in the same camp as @Journeyman: if you die peacefully after reaching 99 in reasonable health, surviving a world war and having had a comfortable life, you are among the lucky ones. The family may mourn their personal loss, although you do wonder what they are actually mourning, but for most of us it is a case of, “He didn’t do too badly.”

Of more importance to most of us is whether the Queen will continue to rule or whether she will abdicate because she will be missing her support. It would not surprise me if in a few months she does take a backseat. She may be dedicated to her duty, but there comes a point...

Last edited:

Darandio

Established Member
I notice Twitter is up in arms now about regular programming being cancelled for the rest of today at least on the main channels. With all of the different channels these broadcasters have available to them for use these days, i'm firmly in their camp.

21C101

Established Member
I was listening to BBC 6 Music when the programme was interrupted to announce it. The tone of the announcement initially made it sound like a nuclear attack or something...
I was driving listening to Radio 2 when the presenter was abruptly cut off with a solemn voice announcing "This is BBC News" Must admit that was the first thing that flicked through my mind.

Gloster

Established Member
The first page of the BBC website has the headline: “Duke of Edinburgh dies aged 99, palace says”. A strange way of phrasing it, as it suggests the matter is not yet confirmed.

Darandio

Established Member
The first page of the BBC website has the headline: “Duke of Edinburgh dies aged 99, palace says”. A strange way of phrasing it, as it suggests the matter is not yet confirmed.

I'm sure they are certain he is dead. The palace always announces these things, it seems a pretty normal headline to me.

GatwickDepress

Established Member
I was driving listening to Radio 2 when the presenter was abruptly cut off with a solemn voice announcing "This is BBC News" Must admit that was the first thing that flicked through my mind.
I was listening to Radio 4 and initially thought there'd been a terrorist attack or something of that ilk.

I imagine the 'palace says' addendum is there to confirm it came straight from the palace and not any other, potentially dubious, sources.

Gloster

Established Member
I'm sure they are certain he is dead. The palace always announces these things, it seems a pretty normal headline to me.
It is just that so often says is used in the sense, ‘X says something, Y says something different’. Maybe it is because I am used to announced or stated being used for something that is definite.

I notice Twitter is up in arms now about regular programming being cancelled for the rest of today at least on the main channels. With all of the different channels these broadcasters have available to them for use these days, i'm firmly in their camp.
Yes I'm sorry about the death of the grand old Duke and listened intently to the tributes to him on Radio 4 instead of the scheduled You & Yours, but I don't see why all the BBC radio programs should be broadcasting the same thing. Radio 3 were scheduled to relay performances of Mozart and Beethovens piano quintets which would have said just as much, if not more, than any words at this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.