• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Princess of Wales has cancer

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

brad465

Established Member
I suspect she's come out with this now as the effects of the chemotherapy she's about to undergo could easily give the game away otherwise.

Typhoon

Established Member
I wish both of them a speedy and complete recovery.

Also my sympathies are with the children who are going to learn that life is not always fair pretty quickly

Whatever people may feel about the Royals, cancer is a deeply unpleasant condition, I have known too many who have suffered and struggled, usually unsuccessfully.

Probably. All the talk about doctored photographs now quite rightly, pale into insignificance
Too right. Now they need to leave them alone.

AndrewE

Established Member
Very senior members too.
yes, but the older you get the more likely it is to reveal itself. However it is very bad luck for a middle-aged person to be hit, sadly not uncommon though.
Awful for the young family.

Not very good news for the Royal Family. King Charles was diagnosed with cancer and now the Princess of Wales has it too.

I believe this might be a first time any Royal Family had cancer, unless one of the members had it years ago which I can’t remember.

JamesT

Established Member
Not very good news for the Royal Family. King Charles was diagnosed with cancer and now the Princess of Wales has it too.

I believe this might be a first time any Royal Family had cancer, unless one of the members had it years ago which I can’t remember.
King George VI probably died from lung cancer, though they weren’t as open about things then.

brad465

Established Member

King George VI probably died from lung cancer, though they weren’t as open about things then.
Gyles Brandreth's authorised biography on the late Queen Elizabeth II claims she had bone marrow cancer.

AndrewE

Established Member
Gyles Brandreth's authorised biography on the late Queen Elizabeth II claims she had bone marrow cancer.
we all have to die of something, and the longer we live the more likely it is that the big C will have appeared. I believe that loads of people die with (not "of") it, luckily unaware of its development.
I guess the medical treatment for that stratum of society will keep them functioning and looking perky long after the rest of us would have snuffed it in a hospice.

On Moderation
It's sad but I can't but think Kensington Palace should have upfront a lot earlier.
That's a pretty crass statement to make. Perhaps stop and think about those involved as human beings rather than a media commodity.

66701GBRF

It's sad but I can't but think Kensington Palace should have upfront a lot earlier.
Private and personal medical information should be released when the individual deems it fit. The world is not owed such information.

uglymonkey

Genie is out of the bag with that one, social media and 24/7 100's of news channels. Even with information they won't stop speculating and commenting.

gswindale

Why?

It is sad, but her illness has no bearing on my day to day life, so if she wants it to be public knowledge or keep it private, then up to her.

Should I post on here immediately or put out a press release on the BBC if I were to get such a diagnosis?

AM9

Veteran Member
Almost certainly not. Cancer has been around for millenia, as @dangie says, anybody can get it. It's only with shorter lives terminated by other causes that probably reduce its apparent occurence.
I'm not an avid royal follower, but it has been enlightening to see other members of the family stepping up to continue the varied work that the leading members normally do. I understand that Camilla is being reined back slightly because of her age but is still quite busy. Also, this week's honours ceremony duties were performed by Princess Anne, in her later years a very much respected royal.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
That's a pretty crass statement to make. Perhaps stop and think about those involved as human beings rather than a media commodity.
is the correct answer - this is a person with a family and young children. We should think about that first.

SteveM70

Established Member
The fawning of certain commentators is vomit inducingly bad. If anyone is feeling brave, have a look at Darren Grimes’ twitter

DanNCL

Established Member
I’m not a supporter of the monarchy but as a human being I obviously wish Catherine a speedy recovery.

I can’t help thinking that if it wasn’t for the doctored photo they’d have been able to keep this hidden until Easter, whereas with the speculation the doctored photo caused they had little choice but to announce it now to stop the speculation.

The speculation had gone too far. Some were speculating a Dianna-style divorce, some were speculating that she’d died, some were speculating about domestic violence, some were speculating she’d fled the country. The speculation/conspiracy theories really had gone way too far.

uglymonkey

Anything to sell "clicks" and newspapers, sometimes I think some of them won't be happy until she or another one of them is wrapped around a pillar in an underpass ( which they contributed towards). All those legal cases ( Harry still ongoing?) about privacy - the media moguls learning nothing and caring even less. We need some form of press regulation - Levinson started it ( remember that all those years ago) but it was self regulating, so they didn't care and carried on regardless.

brad465

Established Member
I’m not a supporter of the monarchy but as a human being I obviously wish Catherine a speedy recovery.

I can’t help thinking that if it wasn’t for the doctored photo they’d have been able to keep this hidden until Easter, whereas with the speculation the doctored photo caused they had little choice but to announce it now to stop the speculation.

The speculation had gone too far. Some were speculating a Dianna-style divorce, some were speculating that she’d died, some were speculating about domestic violence, some were speculating she’d fled the country. The speculation/conspiracy theories really had gone way too far.
A number of news commentators are saying this was clearly done now for the sake of their children: the announcement came almost straight after they'd broken up for the Easter holidays, giving them 2-3 weeks to come to terms with all this away from the school environment, where hopefully by the time they return the situation will have cooled down.

Looking at how she was in the video message and the doctored photo, she clearly didn't look very well in the former, so I can see why the latter was edited, assuming her appearance between the two occasions didn't change much.

stuartl

Anti vaxxers in USA are now linking it to her getting the covid vaccine.
Someone said to me a while ago that social media was the worst thing invented, all this makes one think they are right.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Anti vaxxers in USA are now linking it to her getting the covid vaccine.
Someone said to me a while ago that social media was the worst thing invented, all this makes one think they are right.
I don’t want to take the thread off topic as the vaccine has been done to death (No pun intended). In the USA though it takes on a whole new Level of stupidity imho. Yes, nobody should have been forced/pressured to have the vaccine, but we are where we are. Putting the vaccine as a potential cause of The Princess of Wales condition though, is really stooping almost to scumbag level. I am shaking my head in disbelief.

gswindale

I'm just surprised the kiddywinks have already broken up for Easter - obviously not being sent to a proper school seeing as the Easter holidays here in Berkshire start this coming Friday.

bleeder4

I'm just surprised the kiddywinks have already broken up for Easter - obviously not being sent to a proper school seeing as the Easter holidays here in Berkshire start this coming Friday.
Term dates always vary by county. By me, the schools all broke up yesterday for two weeks.