• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Priv card - any changes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RJ

Established Member
Left slightly confused at an encounter on a train from London to Newcastle yesterday and wondered if anyone might be able to shed some light on it.

Guard comes along, I show my RST e-ticket and my purple bannered Rail Staff Leisure Card along with my TOC issued ID. She carried on, then came back and asked to see my pass again and asked who I work for. She went on to say that my Rail Staff Leisure Card was out of date and that RSTL had reissued the cards.

I looked at the card which shows an expiry date of 31/10/2023.

She then said that Rail Staff Travel had reissued the cards with a gold banner along the top, which she had and that another passholder further down the carriage had, and that I should be carrying one of those. She eventually moved on, her parting comment being that I need to chase up the issue of a new card with the gold banner with RST.

I thought I’d better check in as maybe something has changed that I’m not aware of. I’m not eligible for the Staff Travel Card which expires in June and currently has a yellow banner or a Gold Status pass and I’m unaware of any mid-year changes to the Rail Staff Leisure Card scheme. I’m not expecting next year’s card to be issued for another 6-8 weeks. There is also the possibility that the Rail Staff Leisure card is a particularly obscure and rare pass to see so such experiences should be expected?

Any ideas?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

12LDA28C

Established Member
Left slightly confused at an encounter on a train from London to Newcastle yesterday and wondered if anyone might be able to shed some light on it.

Guard comes along, I show my RST e-ticket and my purple bannered Rail Staff Leisure Card along with my TOC issued ID. She carried on, then came back and asked to see my pass again and asked who I work for. She went on to say that my Rail Staff Leisure Card was out of date and that RSTL had reissued the cards.

I looked at the card which shows an expiry date of 31/10/2023.

She then said that Rail Staff Travel had reissued the cards with a gold banner along the top, which she had and that another passholder further down the carriage had, and that I should be carrying one of those. She eventually moved on, her parting comment being that I need to chase up the issue of a new card with the gold banner with RST.

I thought I’d better check in as maybe something has changed that I’m not aware of. I’m not eligible for the Staff Travel Card which expires in June and currently has a yellow banner or a Gold Status pass and I’m unaware of any mid-year changes to the Rail Staff Leisure Card scheme. I’m not expecting next year’s card to be issued for another 6-8 weeks. There is also the possibility that the Rail Staff Leisure card is a particularly obscure and rare pass to see so such experiences should be expected?

Any ideas?

The Rail Staff Leisure Card is certainly not obscure or rare and indeed any non-protected rail staff should be in possession of such a card for buying priv-rate tickets. My copy does not have a 'gold banner' along the top, but a purple one however the validity date (23/23) and the BR double arrow logo are both embossed in white on a gold foil background so maybe this is what she meant.

I don't however recall the RSLC being reissued this year as she claims, as far as I'm aware this is the original card issued.

father_jack

It's either valid or invalid. If invalid it's withdrawn, you get a zero excess and a report is made.

This is the current one.

Attachments

• prive.png
    prive.png
    90.9 KB · Views: 135

Solent&Wessex

Established Member
The Online Only ones now issued to Network Rail staff have a dark green / gold coloured header.

Protected staff boxes are now yellow I think.

My Leisure Travel Card which expires in October this year is Purple.

Established Member
She's on about the safeguarded boxes with the yellow top. Put this down to (her) lack of knowledge, but she sort of (eventually) made the right decision by not withdrawing it.

- All purple top TOCNE passes are being replaced only when they expire in October. There's been no mid-term withdrawal & reissue.

Nippy

My safe guarded PRIV has the yellow/orange banner. The one that runs from April 23 to June 24. So I guess she was mistaken…..

Chester27

Just seems to have been some misunderstanding. I feel that there must now be more 'non-safeguarded' passes out there after 25+ years since the end of 'boxes' for new entrants to the industry.

OP, you did the right thing to check, travel facilities are a huge perk of the job - but risking them is a gamble that some people seem to take!

Last edited:

RJ

Established Member
Thank you all for the collective wisdom. I'm going to decide against making contact with Rail Staff Travel and continue as I have been. First time in 13 years on the railway I've encountered a ticket inspection where a privilege rate card hasn't been instantly recognised as valid. It caught me off guard.

She's on about the safeguarded boxes with the yellow top. Put this down to (her) lack of knowledge, but she sort of (eventually) made the right decision by not withdrawing it.

- All purple top TOCNE passes are being replaced only when they expire in October. There's been no mid-term withdrawal & reissue.

This is the conclusion I figured was most likely, but wanted to check anyway! Maybe LNER staff get the Staff Travel Card instead of the Rail Staff Leisure Card, in which case lucky them :D

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
Or literally the people who joined the railway prior to I think April 1996. So you wouldn't have to be that old.
That's now 27 years ago. So if you started at 16 in 1996, you'd be 43 now.

From where I sit, 43 isn't old. But I fear there are less enlightened ('younger') people on the forum who may not yet have the (ahem) perspective to see that.

Status
Not open for further replies.