• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Priv passes and Benefits in kind

VTRdaz

Afternoon ,
Hoping somebody can help out.

Ive just accepted a job at A ROSCO , moving from a. TOC , where i have safeguarded travel facilities - can anyone shed some light on how much roughly i should expect to pay to retain the facilities? - do you pay per pass? (it's me and 2 kids) or is a flat rate for all passes and you're taxed accordingly depending on your tax situation? - its all confusing the hell out of me.

Cheers!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

alexjames10

On Moderation
On general tax principles, you will pay tax on 10% of the face value of the tickets concerned if obtained for free. That will be a trivial amount if you are not a heavy user. If the Rosco concerned charges you 10% or more the tax point disappears.

The above is a rule of thumb for BIK where there is nil or trivial cost to the employer. It’s possible that the Rosco has a different arrangement with the taxman. I suggest that you raise the point with HR. It’s just possible that you can hit on somebody there who understands basic UK tax.