• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Problem Collecting Tickets - Help Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Essexman

Established Member
A few weeks ago I booked tickets through GWR's website to take my parents from Didcot to Torquay & back and tried to pick them up at Upminster, my local (C2C) station, today. The machine gave me the return (Groupsave) tickets (albeit with the seat reservations blank) but didn’t produce the outward (first advance) tickets. Both were under the same reference.

I phoned GWR who advised trying again and if not successful asking at Upminster booking office who they said should be able to supply the tickets. The person at GWR said that if there was still a problem he would cancel the tickets and reissues advances at the original price.

I went back to Upminster tonight and the machine would not dispense the remaining tickets. The person in the ticket office couldn’t get the tickets from his terminal on entering the reference number and told me to take the email confirmation and show this when I travel.

I phoned GWR again. They checked the computer and said there is a fault with the machine at Upminster. He said that GWR can do no more and I need to sort it out with Upminster station. I’ve tried this already and have no confidence that another visit will prove successful. He said he could not reissue a ticket – the best he could do is cancel them, but to rebook advances at this stage (9 days before travel) is likely to cost more. I said that as I’ve paid GWR my contract is with them and it is their responsibility to sort it out but was told GWR cannot help. I have sent a tweet to C2C but no reply so far - they tend to be selective in what they bother reply to. The person at GWR advised against travelling with only the email and I wouldn’t want to do this with my parents who are in their 80s unless we had clear authority.

So how can I resolve this?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
The easiest thing would be to collect the tickets from a machine at another station. Did GWR offer to post the remaining tickets to you at their cost? That would be another possible solution.

Essexman

Established Member
The easiest thing would be to collect the tickets from a machine at another station. Did GWR offer to post the remaining tickets to you at their cost? That would be another possible solution.

Thanks, I'll try another station.
I suggested to GWR that the simplest solution would be for them to post the tickets but they said they couldn't do that, although didn't give a reason other than 'can't'.

Essexman

Established Member
I got tickets from the machine at Fenchurch Street with no problem today.
Thanks.

Joe Paxton

Established Member
GWR customer services sound like they were pretty unhelpful. A retailer shouldn't just try and shift the blame for problems with fulfilment elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.