• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Problems at Rugby today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Intermodal

Established Member
I wonder how long I can make my location on this f
Hi all,

Currently sitting on 1A48 which is stopped at a signal just outside Rugby in the up direction. Train manager just came on the PA saying there has been a "complete failure of signalling systems" on the other side of Rugby. I assume this means the power has gone to one of the signal boxes involved?

Anyone got any more information?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bengolding

No idea what train 1A48 is, but I'm waiting for the slightly delayed 17:09 Wigan-Euston and hope it'll be ok by the time we pass Rugby just after 18:30. Hope to get better service than this morning when kitchen was flooded so no breakfast :(

Ferret

Established Member
Hi all,

Currently sitting on 1A48 which is stopped at a signal just outside Rugby in the up direction. Train manager just came on the PA saying there has been a "complete failure of signalling systems" on the other side of Rugby. I assume this means the power has gone to one of the signal boxes involved?

Anyone got any more information?

I'm at Milk n Beans on a northbound and you've been told more than I have! Sounds like an abject farce in progress to me:(

scotsman

Established Member
1A48 = 1358 Holyhead - London Euston
24 mins late at present
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
This from Virgin's twitter
Complete loss of signalling Hillmorton south Rugby.Departures from Euston been suspended whilst Network Rail staff investigate the failure

Ibex

National Rail Enquiries citing:

Train operators affected
London Midland
Virgin Trains

A signalling problem is causing disruption in the Rugby area.

Because of this, there are delays of up to 20 minutes between Rugby and Northampton / Milton Keynes Central. These delays are expected to last until approximately 18:30.

radamfi

Established Member
Call this a naive question, but given that rail seems to be incredibly vulnerable to signalling problems, can anything be done about them? If not, and if we just have to accept that there will always be regular signal failures, surely that would make rail an inherently flawed mode of transport?

MCR247

Established Member
Has it? Its showing on national rail as running, and expected into MKC 41 down (although that is most likely wrong

Ibex

As it stands the following services are now cancelled:

1D91 17:10 Euston to Holyhead
1H39 17:20 Euston to Manchester Piccadilly
1G35 17:23 Euston to Wolverhampton
1S90 17:30 Euston to Glasgow Central
1F23 17:33 Euston to Liverpool Lime Street
1H72 17:40 Euston to Manchester Piccadilly

1A49 15:35 Manchester Piccadilly to Euston
1B58 16:30 Birmingham New St to Euston
1B72 16:45 Wolverhampton to Euston
1B74 17:30 Birmingham New St to Euston
1B78 17:45 Wolverhampton to Euston

I suspect 1B90 19:45 Wolverhampton to Euston will not run as the unit is caped at Euston.
1M13 12:40 Glasgow Central to Euston last reported 84 minutes late.

Last edited:

ushawk

Established Member
NRE saying delays of up to an hour (although some obviously will be more).

Tickets being accepted on London Overground, Chiltern and Cross Country.

Ferret

Established Member
NRE saying delays of up to an hour (although some obviously will be more).

Tickets being accepted on London Overground, Chiltern and Cross Country.

Services now on the move. You can't beat a good Network Fail farce!

dcmbarton

I've just had a ridiculous journey home from University. I met someone off the 1639 Nottingham service; normally we would get straight on the 1645 LM to Lichfield Trent Valley, but at that time, staff were announcing a signal failure both at New Street and Butlers Lane...so, we thought it better to stay on 1639 and change at Tamworth. On arrival at Tamworth, we found that the 1731 LM to Crewe was showing as 'delayed'.

At that point, no one seemed to know why it was delayed and how long the delay might be. As usual, station staff scurried back into their offices - no information, no announcements etc. The lady at the ticket office said all she could tell us was what was already on the board anyway; she said she couldn't tell us about the Cross City Line as it's not her patch! In the end, they announced that people should go back to New Street if they wanted to get anywhere tonight. I informed the sole member of staff left on the station that there was no advantage in this for us, given the problems on the other line.

In fairness, the chap was actually very helpful, and arranged a taxi to take us back to LTV (LM to pay!). So all in all, it turned out OK, and we arrived home only about 30 minutes later than expected. What is always annoying these situations and it's the thing which really annoys passengers the most is that there's never any information available. I accept that it takes a while for information to filter through, but that doesn't mean that it's acceptable to just have complete silence. Even an announcement to say they were looking into it and would let passengers know what was happening would be better than nothing!

voyagerdude220

Established Member
No idea what train 1A48 is, but I'm waiting for the slightly delayed 17:09 Wigan-Euston and hope it'll be ok by the time we pass Rugby just after 18:30. Hope to get better service than this morning when kitchen was flooded so no breakfast :(

Hi Bengolding, I was on your Euston Pendo in First between Glasgow and Preston today- a great CSA called Martin was on it going all the way through to London, he seemed to be a really friendly chap. ;) :D

j0hn0

All i can say is aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh

Im still on the frikkin train trying to get to rugby

Come on geezertronic, is this value?

Get the frikkin **** sorted ffs this is a joke line

Geezertronic

Established Member
All i can say is aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh

Im still on the frikkin train trying to get to rugby

Come on geezertronic, is this value?

Get the frikkin **** sorted ffs this is a joke line

So what sounds like a serious infrastructure issue causes you to call me out on whether this is value or not? Well since the issue sounds like it is Network Rail related (infrastructure) and not Virgin Trains (or London Midland) related, then I suggest you are barking up the wrong tree.

As you very well know, issues happen. Would you feel the same way if you was driving and the M1 or M40 was closed causing disruption to your journey (which would cost a lot more than £30ish a day)?

j0hn0

Just the price my good man, just the price. If the line is consistent then I would not gripe at all, but there are so many things that go wrong, all the time, which makes it awful.

I'm moving much closer to london in about a month tho, but not to somewhere on the wcml

bengolding

Hi Bengolding, I was on your Euston Pendo in First between Glasgow and Preston today- a great CSA called Martin was on it going all the way through to London, he seemed to be a really friendly chap. ;) :D

You should have stuck to yoru name and travelled on the 14:00 from Glasgow instead or change your name to 'pendolinodude220' :)

You're right, the First Class hosts on this train did a great job with an attentive hot food and drinks service. We were 10 mins late at Wigan so a 25 min late arrival into Euston at 19:40 wasn't too bad bearing in mind one of the previous trains from Glasgow apparently terminated at Nuneaton and the next train was pretty late!

If you got great service, probably well worth letting Virgin know about them, I think they still have that Great Service Award for staff since I've praised staff before for that?

Geezertronic

Established Member
Just the price my good man, just the price. If the line is consistent then I would not gripe at all, but there are so many things that go wrong, all the time, which makes it awful.

I'm moving much closer to london in about a month tho, but not to somewhere on the wcml

I still challenge you to perform your journey for £35 per day by another means of transport other than the train...

dk1

Veteran Member
Call this a naive question, but given that rail seems to be incredibly vulnerable to signalling problems, can anything be done about them? If not, and if we just have to accept that there will always be regular signal failures, surely that would make rail an inherently flawed mode of transport?

Then again look at it this way:-

Signal failure, tresspassers, overhead line damage, track circut failure, points failure, fatality, level crossing failure, vandalism, bridge bash, broken rail, poor weather conditions, train fault, platform conjestion, traincrew shortages, passenger taken ill...

The odds are stacked against you before you even get on board :lol:

j0hn0

I still challenge you to perform your journey for £35 per day by another means of transport other than the train...

Do you even read a thing i write or are you just determined to have the last word all the time? (rhetorical)

Price is fine when they run on time, today, fantastic, full speed all the way, no problems at all, great service.

Consider this, i used to sing the praises of the wcml until i used it every day, seeing as you dont, its probably best to just shut up now as you are looking like a dick

I challenge you to run your so called business better as you seem to have far too much time to waste on here playing devils advocate

voyagerdude220

Established Member
You should have stuck to yoru name and travelled on the 14:00 from Glasgow instead or change your name to 'pendolinodude220' :)

Strange you should say that..

I must admit, even though Pendolino's have a far superior quality FC area- mostly thanks to the far greater number of seats, I still prefer the Super Voyagers.

I ended up on the 08:53 PRE to GLC Super duper Voyager yesterday, instead of the 08:15 Pendo, thanks to a Northern Rail mess up.

I've very rarely booked Super Voyagers (minus runs over the S&C), as they cost roughly 3 times more than Pendos!

Only major drawback for me personally on 221111, was that it was in reverse formation- and all the individual forward facing seats had been taken by the time it got to Preston yesterday.

I'm tempted to just get a CDR one day, get 221's both ways & sit in coach D for superior seating, but they do get very busy.

Geezertronic

Established Member
Do you even read a thing i write or are you just determined to have the last word all the time? (rhetorical)

Price is fine when they run on time, today, fantastic, full speed all the way, no problems at all, great service.

Consider this, i used to sing the praises of the wcml until i used it every day, seeing as you dont, its probably best to just shut up now as you are looking like a dick

I challenge you to run your so called business better as you seem to have far too much time to waste on here playing devils advocate

Considering you are the one throwing insults around, I suggest that you are the Dick not me, especially since you are complaining about a service you pay £35 a day for (and I doubt you can do any better with any other form of transport).

And since you asked, my sector of business is doing fine and I am one of the few lucky ones not affected by recent financial problems. I travel to London sites/St Albans twice (sometimes three times) as week as I am home based so while I might not travel every day, I still experience the highs and lows of the WCML (and MML to St Albans)

Oh and it's easy to throw insults around and get personal when you are hid behind a keyboard...

Mr Spock

I use the WCML probaly 2/3 times a week and have few problems although I will admit that sometimes when things go wrong they seem to do it big time but thats the way things go.

Come and complain when you have been stuck on a motorway for 8+ hours because some **** decides he wants to jump off a bridge.

Status
Not open for further replies.