• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Problems using Rail Staff Travel Facilities

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nippy

Moderator note: posts #1 - #2 originally in this thread:

I've been told my Priv is dated wrong on a few occasions.

'That's yesterdays date' etc. I missed a train arguing about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I've been told my Priv is dated wrong on a few occasions.

'That's yesterdays date' etc. I missed a train arguing about it.

Yes I find it frustrating the number of staff that don't understand that a "box" is valid for 48 hours not 24 hours. It seems to be a particular issue for FIP coupons particularly amongst younger members of ticket checking staff.

Established Member
FIP coupons are nowhere near the hassle regarding the 48 hour rule now RSTL have helpfully provided an explanation in many languages. At the end of the day it all comes down to training.

Haywain

Veteran Member
FIP coupons are nowhere near the hassle regarding the 48 hour rule now RSTL have helpfully provided an explanation in many languages. At the end of the day it all comes down to training.
It’s not a problem restricted to the UK though, I’ve experienced that problem with staff in other countries.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member

I think the point being made is the issue isn’t so much GB staff so using FIP coupons abroad but the hassle Foreign Staff get in GB when using FIP coupons especially with regard to the 2 day ruling.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
No it's Safeguarded staff filling in boxes and other staff not knowing that they are valid for 48 hours.
No, that was the original OP statement.

I quoted the message I was replying to and that was about FIP coupons.

I think it would be appropriate to rethink the 48 hour rule for both domestic passes and international coupons.

Why not standardise staff passes with what the public get. Double the number of "boxes" but make them valid for just 24 hours.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I think it would be appropriate to rethink the 48 hour rule for both domestic passes and international coupons.

Why not standardise staff passes with what the public get. Double the number of "boxes" but make them valid for just 24 hours.

I've often thought that as it would avoid "discussions" with ticket checking staff who don't understand the 48 hour rule. But then again why should we change something just because some people don't understand the difference between 24 hours and 48 hours?

bramling

Veteran Member
I've often thought that as it would avoid "discussions" with ticket checking staff who don't understand the 48 hour rule. But then again why should we change something just because some people don't understand the difference between 24 hours and 48 hours?

It could be resolved by a note on the pass itself simply stating “A dated box is valid for 48 hours”. That should clear up pretty much all scope for doubt.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It could be resolved by a note on the pass itself simply stating “A dated box is valid for 48 hours”. That should clear up pretty much all scope for doubt.

They have words to that effect (in different languages) on the FIP coupons but you still get puzzled looks from some ticket checking staff on the second day of validity!

RJ

Established Member
It's not 48 hours though, it's two calendar days. I'm pretty sure if I date a box at 6pm on a Monday, I can't still be using it until 6pm on the Wednesday.

It's not 48 hours though, it's two calendar days. I'm pretty sure if I date a box at 6pm on a Monday, I can't still be using it until 6pm on the Wednesday.

But you can use a box from 22:00 on the day before.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

Indeed that is the case - the wording on the FIP coupon is:

Coupon Valid On The Entered Day (DD/MM/YY) And On The Next Day

This is then repeated in a selection of other languages on the coupon. Despite this I still get puzzled looks sometimes when using the coupon on the second day of validity.

RJ

Established Member
I think there are two things being discussed here that should be in separate threads - Safeguarded Priv boxes and FIP coupon boxes have different rules in place.

Priv boxes are valid for two days, though you can use one from 10pm on the day prior to that written in the box if travelling overnight.

It’s actually 50 hours.

22:00 on day 1 until 23:59 on day 3 ( and potentially longer if on the train at 23:59 and you get off afterwards)

By having 20 x 1 day passes (for example) rather than 10 x 2 day passes it would give the holder much more flexibility. How many times do you date a pass just for one day?

RJ

Established Member
Yes I find it frustrating the number of staff that don't understand that a "box" is valid for 48 hours not 24 hours. It seems to be a particular issue for FIP coupons particularly amongst younger members of ticket checking staff.

I'm not sure it's fair to call out issues based on age. Poor quality of knowledge doesn't discriminate. A few years ago at York I had a TPE ex-BR RPO try to order me to fill out a box to travel on a train it wasn't valid on - and also refused to accept the pass I had for the train I was taking was valid. The situation descended into a farce when a CrossCountry RPI present sat on the fence and they decided with the help of the BTP, they wouldn't let me enter the station until somebody else could be found who could train them on ticket validity o_O

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

Oddly the guidance that comes with each coupon delivery states the term "48 hour rule". I would argue that is just lazy terminology.

l1.jpg

CEN60

Your Priv box is valid for the day you date it and the next day (with the exception of the case stated above - if you are travelling after 22.00 you date the box for the next day) - If it consistently a problem with ticket staff it might be worthwhile keeping a printed copy of the Rail Delivery Group page that explains it.

Status
Not open for further replies.