• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Procedure for driving on rarely used / rusty track

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hello,
Long time lurker!

What is the procedure if a train is going to be travelling over rarely used/rusty track. For example:
- A crossover that hasnt been used for a long time
- A freight only line, eg Grimbsy Light Railway

I know that track circuits might not light up in the signalbox because of the rust on the tracks...
What else? Any specifc driving mode?

Thx.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Hello,
Long time lurker!

What is the procedure if a train is going to be travelling over rarely used/rusty track. For example:
- A crossover that hasnt been used for a long time
- A freight only line, eg Grimbsy Light Railway

I know that track circuits might not light up in the signalbox because of the rust on the tracks...
What else? Any specifc driving mode?

Thx.
Welcome to the forum. :)
Quite an interesting question actually, I’m curious myself although I have a feeling that I know the answer.

Gloster

Established Member
Unless there is some other reason for concern, such as the track being completely overgrown, I suspect that the answer is that there is no special procedure. If the track circuits don’t work you have to trust that the signalman is aware of where you are and then it is his problem. Any line that is going to have such a problem is unlikely to have much traffic and rust will probably be quickly ground off.

The opinion of a former signalman.

Richard Scott

Established Member
Rust is quickly removed by something heavy e.g. a loco, wouldn't be so confident with a light unit. Remember doing a tour up to Folkestone Harbour with an EPB unit and it went down some sidings that hadn't seen a train in years, some spectacular sparks from the 3rd rails that hadn't seen a shoe for a long time!

philthetube

Established Member
I had to do runs into and out of a siding which had not been used for years, ot took three runs with and 8 car train before it picked up

Ianno87

Veteran Member
During "The Wandering Javelin" railtour in 2014, it traversed the Waterloo connection between Fawkham and Southfleet Jn. Hadn't been in use at all for a couple of years at that point, so rails were heavily rusted. This risked the train losing connection with the TVM430 signalling (and resulting emergency brake application), so the train proceeded at walking pace to guard against this, until joining HS1 'proper'.

To answer the OP, trains would operate normally, unless instructed of a likely issue (e.g. overgrown vegetation etc)

NicholasNCE

A very interesting question, I've often wondered how NR procedures cope with rusty rails.

I work in operations in France, and it's a huge issue for us. If any section of track goes 72 hours without a train, the track circuits are deemed unreliable and specific actions must be taken to allow trains to proceed over the section until the track circuit's reliability has been restored by a SST technician.
This explains why early running freight trains in France are often routed through indirect itineraries in order to ensure track circuit reliability on seldom used routes.
Alternatively, some rarely used crossovers and tracks are equipped with special stainless steel rails to ensure permanent track circuit reliability, dispensing with the requirement to run a train over them every 72 hours.

Henry Johnson

The level crossings in Dereham were equipped with stainless steel zig zag welds on the rail head until the mid norfolk railway removed them a year ago. The line only saw 1 train a month in the late 80s.

bluegoblin7

Established Member
Regarding rusty rails, does London Underground still have a "rusty rail" empty move around the Queens Park area on the Bakerloo Line?
A fair few 'rusty rail' moves around the LU network, some of which run in passenger service too. With the above, I assume you mean the empty train that runs from Stonebridge Park depot to Stonebridge Park depot via Kilburn High Road, running through the outer/Overground platforms at Queen's Park. This does indeed still run, although is a 'Runs as Required' (RR) schedule.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
A fair few 'rusty rail' moves around the LU network, some of which run in passenger service too. With the above, I assume you mean the empty train that runs from Stonebridge Park depot to Stonebridge Park depot via Kilburn High Road, running through the outer/Overground platforms at Queen's Park. This does indeed still run, although is a 'Runs as Required' (RR) schedule.

Many thanks.

That was the move I was thinking of.

Status
Not open for further replies.