• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Procedures modified after Lewisham egress in March 2018?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RT4038

Established Member
The irony is, I remember on the morning of the day Lewisham happened, posters on this very forum were moaning about the warnings from SE not to travel being over the top and scaremongering!

Quite!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Robertj21a

On Moderation
Not really - the rail industry is not going to pay for toilets or battery power to be fitted to trains, or more control or station staff or training for the very occasional problems caused by bad weather. It is not cost effective. The solution will be more advisories not to travel in poor weather, and more suspension of service in bad weather, to manage the risk. This is the direction that the railway (and the wider society) has been travelling anyway, and this will just push these policies further along. Gone are the days when 'getting through' were paramount. Not that this will be friendly to the non-complaining sections of the travelling public!

I don't disagree, but it's still depressing.

Hopefully, new trains will have better batteries and back up in general.
Hopefully, future training will include greater emphasis on communication with stranded passengers.
Hopefully, the chains of command will be streamlined to ensure serious issues are escalated quickly.
Hopefully, communication between the various emergency services will be clarified.
There's little or no additional cost incurred when such matters are absorbed into new practices for the future, so much of the above should become the norm.

Hopefully.....hopefully......hopefully...

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
I don't disagree, but it's still depressing.

Hopefully, new trains will have better batteries and back up in general.
Hopefully, future training will include greater emphasis on communication with stranded passengers.
Hopefully, the chains of command will be streamlined to ensure serious issues are escalated quickly.
Hopefully, communication between the various emergency services will be clarified.
There's little or no additional cost incurred when such matters are absorbed into new practices for the future, so much of the above should become the norm.

Hopefully.....hopefully......hopefully...

Well you seem to be presuming that it hasn't but how can you know? There's not been a major stranding incident since (which could in of itself be seen as good news that the process has improved).

ComUtoR

Established Member
A bit worrying that a number of points have been raised in just this one thread for which there may still be no plan for improvement. I hope I'm proved wrong.

Rob, with all due respect. What did you really expect ?

If it can be done cheaply; it will.
If they don't have to change it; they won't.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
Well you seem to be presuming that it hasn't but how can you know? There's not been a major stranding incident since (which could in of itself be seen as good news that the process has improved).

As you say, I don't know and we haven't had a similar situation since. From the general tone of some of the comments on here it appeared that many issues were, in practice, most likely to be left unresolved. I certainly hope that isn't the case.

etr221

We haven't had such severe weather in London since the 2018 Lewisham incident either.
While the severe weather at the time formed the background to, and was, at least in part, the cause of the initial issue (2M48 failing to make a clean departure) in the Lewisham incident, one wonders if the railway would cope any better on a balmy summer day if a similar scenario (train not departing from platform 4, and another stopped behind it at L445 off the Down Lewisham line) developed, for any reason?

fusionblue

I wonder how much earlier this situation, or similar, would have played out if Connex had replaced most of the networkers with 376 units.

ScotGG

Established Member
Not much. No toilets and the last stock ordered without air con - to answer those above stating about how it would play out in summer.

Trouble with all SE suburban stock is too hot all year round. No air con in summer, and in winter you dress up in a jacket for walk to station and then the train is too hot. See it every winter. It's hotter than shops etc en route to station.

Status
Not open for further replies.