• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Progression from Driver

PlexiDriver

Hey all,

What is the usual progression from driving? I'm assuming it's something along the lines of Instructor > Manager > Depot Manager?

Cheers as always!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

skyhigh

Established Member
Hey all,

What is the usual progression from driving? I'm assuming it's something along the lines of Instructor > Manager > Depot Manager?

Cheers as always!
I don't think there's really any such thing as "usual progression". The vast majority will stay as drivers their whole career. Some will become instructors and a smaller number will become management but I definitely wouldn't describe it as usual to progress.

greatkingrat

Established Member
Also it is possible to go straight to Driver Manager without being an Instructor first.

muz379

Established Member
Depending on area some might move to other TOC's for either more pay or different work .

There are progression opportunities available through the management structures , be it Driver Manager / Lead Driver Manager / Operations Manager / Head of x / etc .

There are also safety/standards compliance roles that someone with the right kind of experience and skill could move into from train driving

Some might also see moving into operations training as a driver trainer as a form of progression .

That being said a lot of those roles whilst the basic wage might be slightly higher than driving , the earning potential from overtime enhancements afforded to drivers means in reality you can make more as a driver without having to take the job home with you . Which might be more an expectation in those other roles .

But its not your typical corporate career ladder job either so as already said the majority stay as drivers .

12LDA28C

Established Member
I don't think there's really any such thing as "usual progression". The vast majority will stay as drivers their whole career. Some will become instructors and a smaller number will become management but I definitely wouldn't describe it as usual to progress.

This. Being a Driver Manager is very different from being a driver and it's not for everyone, in fact the vast majority of drivers wouldn't touch a DM job with a barge pole.

id799862

Hey all,

Cheers as always!
Driver
Instructor
Driver Team Leader
Driver Manager
Ops Training Manager
Ops Standards Manager
Depot Manager
Regional Manager