• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Projects you'd build but will (probably) never happen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Better railway connections for North Devon. Circular type route for Okehampton and Barnstaple and Taunton etc.

Extend the Waterloo to Exeter line to Plymouth

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Topological

Another one...

Some form of light rail solution from East Midlands Airport across the south of Kegworth, then following the MML north from Sutton Bonnington Campus and terminating at East Midlands Parkway. A couple of strategic "stations" along the way.

Can make money from car parks too.

Bartsimho

Another one...

Some form of light rail solution from East Midlands Airport across the south of Kegworth, then following the MML north from Sutton Bonnington Campus and terminating at East Midlands Parkway. A couple of strategic "stations" along the way.

Can make money from car parks too.
Run it slightly further Derby, Peartree, Sinfin (alongside the Birmingham and Derby Junction), Chellaston, Melbourne, Donnington Park, East Midlands Airport, Kegworth, Clifton South (Interchange with the Nottingham trams)

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Run it slightly further Derby, Peartree, Sinfin (alongside the Birmingham and Derby Junction), Chellaston, Melbourne, Donnington Park, East Midlands Airport, Kegworth, Clifton South (Interchange with the Nottingham trams)
Lay the tracks as metre gauge, just to annoy those who want elaborate through-running... even extend it Northwards from Derby to Halfway to really rub it in! <D

Thirteen

Grade separation at Herne Hill, move the trams at Wimbledon into the town centre and reinstate the second Thameslink platform. Double Sutton loop services all day to 4tph each way.
I'm not sure it's feasibly possible to move the trams from Wimbledon Station to the town centre

AM9

Veteran Member
How about providing a high speed (200km/h) bypass of St Albans City station on the MML?. The fasts could diverge at Napsbury, just south of the A414 bridge and following the natural line of the intended Midland line, (before the city fathers insisted on the kink in the line to protect vistor's eyes from the local jail). Following the natural curve of the line, the northerly end would rejoin just north of Porters Wood at the beggining of the stright to Harpenden. Clearly the diversion would need to be in bored tunnels as a new surface line would be extremely difficult to get acceptance even if there was virtually unlimited budget.
Benefits:
1) the fasts' line speed from Radlett to Harpenden could be raised to avoid the slowing for the St Albans curves giving a reduction in EMR journey times
2) the ability to loop the fast Thameslink services would allow improvements to both the TL and MML services
3) the drivers' nightmare of 160km/h speeds past an overloaded platform 3 would be no longer
4) if the slows were signalled for full bi-Di working, 12 car trains could be terminated in station
5) conflicting moves at Harpenden would be virtually eliminated if a crossover north of St Albans before the fast line rejoins was installed

I doubt that such an improvement would ever seriously be considered, - it would also not be 'spotter friendly'.

Last edited:

A0wen

On Moderation
Wires to Bristol TM - both ways.
Demolish the old Severn Bridge and build a new double deck bridge, road on top, rail below.
Upgrade Waterloo-Exeter (and extend to Plymouth via inland route) to make it a realistic option to GWR.

Bit in bold - BINGO !! That's my Railforums bingo card complete on this thread !

In the spirit of this thread and of Messrs Flanders & Swann, I would ensure restoration of passenger services between the following conurbations:
Blandford Forum to Mortehoe
Midsomer Norton to Mumby Road
Littleton Badsey to Openshaw
Formby Four Crosses to Dunstable Town

zwk500

Veteran Member
London - Inverness in 4:30
I make the distance by rail as c.570 miles. Distance by road google gives as 559 miles, Straight line distance is 445 miles, so you are requiring an average speed somewhere between 99mph and 127mph. But why particularly 4h30? Wouldn't 4h be better to aim at if we're at this level?

D6130

Established Member
In the spirit of this thread and of Messrs Flanders & Swann, I would ensure restoration of passenger services between the following conurbations:
Blandford Forum to Mortehoe
Midsomer Norton to Mumby Road
Littleton Badsey to Openshaw
Formby Four Crosses to Dunstable Town
What about St Erth to St Ives?
Oh, wait.... it's still open!

Last edited:

JD2168

Electrify the whole line between Sheffield & Manchester via Hope Valley.

Extend the line from Lincoln to Skegness.

Austriantrain

Established Member
I have many ideas for projects but in the spirit of HS2

First: I'd have through tracks at Curzon Street to allow HS2 trains to go into new street to serve Wolverhampton, Shrewsbury Wales and the south west
These platforms would be similar to Manchester 13-14 but of course would have more capacity.

- make Curzon Street the single Intercity station for Birmingham (New Street as an S-Bahn station only) with new lines towards Bristol/Worcester and Wolverhampton to release capacity for S-Bahn
- build a Manchester Crossrail Piccadilly- Salford Central - Chat Moss/Bolton not for HS2/NPR but for regional express services, freeing the Castleford corridor for S-Bahn
- build a Glasgow Central - QS tunnel to improve connectivity
- build a new line along the West Coastway for intercity/interregional services from Brighton towards the West.

… just for starters;)

Electrify everything proposed for electrification in the Traction Decarbonisation Network Strategy. Then four-track Didcot to Oxford.

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
Electrification is no part of the current ongoing works to provide 2 tracks through Dore & Totley station and an additional passing loop at Bamford, alongside other assorted improvements.
I'm aware it's not part of any ongoing works but I'm sure I remember heading it was something they wanted to do soon.

Based on how "soon" seems to work here they might start some time around 2040.

zwk500

Veteran Member
I'm aware it's not part of any ongoing works but I'm sure I remember heading it was something they wanted to do soon.

Based on how "soon" seems to work here they might start some time around 2040.
No mention of it that I know of in anything worth listening to. However Kettering-Sheffield has been given the go-ahead and is tendering contracts (I've lost track of exactly what stage it's at).

YourMum666

I make the distance by rail as c.570 miles. Distance by road google gives as 559 miles, Straight line distance is 445 miles, so you are requiring an average speed somewhere between 99mph and 127mph. But why particularly 4h30? Wouldn't 4h be better to aim at if we're at this level?
4hr 30 is a bit far fetched but more realistic than say 4hrs. And that would be with a HS3 on the east coast

Status
Not open for further replies.