• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Proposal for TPE to serve Saltburn (Now only Redcar Central)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Sorry, Does this mean the train is going to arrive at platform 2, go across the west dyke level crossing - wait near the signal box then come back through the said crossing at time of departure, departing from platform 2? or Platform 1?

Yes over the crossing into the loop and back into P2. There's no crossover to P1 from the loop as per the diagram @Darandio provided earlier.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Interestingly this means that Redcar now has a later last train with the 2236 from Middlesbrough being the last train to call from that direction at 2246. A whole half an hour later than present. Also the last train of the day from Redcar will be the 2307 to York (you can get to York leaving at 2307!!!) but that's only ten minutes after the last Northern.

World. Has. Gone. Mad! ;) This might turn Redcar into some form of exotic seaside location for day trippers beyond Teesside! Lemon Top anyone?

m94x

How comes the service to Middlesbrough has now been extended to Redcar Central?

I think it might be to improve reliability by reducing congestion and delays at Middlesbrough (a more heavily used station) upwards instead towards Redcar Central (a lowly used station) for extra room available for turnarounds to restart service back towards Manchester.

I doubt Redcar Central is likely to be used as a 'real' destination and may find itself being cancelled more often than not when delays occur. Currently, the Middlesbrough service tends to be regularly delayed, and the Dewsbury stop gets 'cancelled' due to 'operational difficulties' or some other excuse so that the train can catch up time and reduce total delays. However, this causes lots of customer dissatisfaction so bad statistics for TPE, so now they can use the time to call at these less important stations on their route and instead cancel Redcar, which would not cause much inconvenience to Redcar passengers as it is an extra 1tph service and is instead normally regularly served by Northern anyway.

darloscott

It would need funding from somewhere as the cost of the additional unit/crew would never pay for itself commercially

4-SUB 4732

Established Member
So would I because I’m pretty sure it was reported that it can’t be done with the existing rolling stock numbers...

Hence it will need to leave York ~45 mins earlier in the morning and go empty right down to Saltburn to make one peak time train to Manchester and vice Versa.

Class 170101

Established Member
I guess if TPE get to keep the Class 185s as part of the Nottingham to Liverpool service I seem to recall in that thread that not all the 185s are used but that its only a small number left to allocate - so perhaps Saltburn could happen then.

Status
Not open for further replies.