• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Proposal to decrease minimum train driver age

Established Member
I don't think there will be that many 18-20 year olds actually recruited, but...

Does anyone else think the timing of this is just to get across some propaganda in the press (during an industrial dispute), that driving a train is so easy than even a teenager can do it, and by the way they are on £60k?

I’m sure there’s an element of that. Difficult to see any other reason for doing it given that there is no problem getting applicants for the role as things currently stand.

I suspect this policy is the brainchild of people who don’t really understand train driver recruitment, who believe it will result in a flood of 18yos joining the industry, who will be easier to push around and won’t join ASLEF! It won’t happen like that, however, for the reasons discussed above.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

greatkingrat

Established Member
Looks like the plan is to get 18 year olds to volunteer to drive a train one weekend a month. Would solve the Sunday issue at least!

irish_rail

On Moderation
I suppose this could be done as part of their national service...... I really fear for this country if the Tories somehow manage to win this election.

Stigy

Established Member
It's nice to see the winds of change blowing for this medieval train driver recruitment. This will most definitely turn into a rant about recruitment but I think the reduction in minimum age is long overdue. You have many potential responsibilties at that age, including for a car. I wanted to go after school, but I was 18, not 21.
There’s no national shortage of applicants for be train driving, though. It’s solely because TOCs don’t want to recruit more drivers.

As for the MMI, it’s not just train drivers who have to do this, it’s other industries too. One could argue that at 21, you’re no worse off generally in terms of life experience, as a school leaver. If you sit at home playing on the Xbox or PS all day, every day, then frankly no, you shouldn’t be able to pass the MMI. If however you’ve gained experiences from volunteering, studying and/or sporting activities outside school, then yes, you’ll pass an MMI and deserve to.

Sorcerer

If you sit at home playing on the Xbox or PS all day, every day, then frankly no, you shouldn’t be able to pass the MMI.
Genuine question out of curiosity, but what if that experience playing on those consoles is from doing speedruns? In a similar vein to train driving it requires following a set of rules and working under a time pressure while also requiring concentration, a good long-term memory to remember strategies and routes, the need to be able to adapt for new strategies and any obstacles you might come across, and in the case of a charity event you might have to deliver some clear messages to the audience about certain things. Obviously the stakes are lower since failure just means resetting, but with that in mind I am genuinely interested to know if you think someone could actually pass the MMI with that example if they deliver it in that way with enough confidence?

Last edited:

Stigy

Established Member
Genuine question out of curiosity, but what if that experience playing on those consoles is from doing speedruns? In a similar vein to train driving it requires following a set of rules and working under a time pressure while also requiring concentration, a good long-term memory to remember strategies and routes, the need to be able to adapt for new strategies and any obstacles you might come across, and in the case of a charity event you might have to deliver some clear messages to the audience about certain things. Obviously the stakes are lower since failure just means resetting, but with that in mind I am genuinely interested to know if you think someone could actually pass the MMI with that example if they deliver it in that way with enough confidence?
If it can fit to an MMI answer then yes, I guess it’s as good as any other experience, however, I’d imagine it would require a lot of explanation to be able to convince interviewers of the transferable skills factor?

Samzino

Established Member
Pretty much any example could be used for the MMI aslong ad you're clearly able to describe how and why the skills, actions etc in that situation would apply or relate to Train driving. I used Programming mostly for mine which I had been doing since 12 as I personally felt it let me express more than my current Railway work would, points wise.

Only on certain points did I refer to my experiences working on the railway and I found with my interviewer that they were very intrested and at times impressed with how I'd relate some programming experiences to and skills needed for that to that needed for Train Driving.

Just depends I guess how confident enough you're in the examples your picking and then breaking them down to their component parts that relate to the Train Driver role.

Sorcerer

If it can fit to an MMI answer then yes, I guess it’s as good as any other experience, however, I’d imagine it would require a lot of explanation to be able to convince interviewers of the transferable skills factor?
Quite so, but if you know the right keywords and speak with enough confidence as well as being well structured enough to not fall apart when the interviewers ask for greater details then I feel like you could pull it off. As I understand it, using the right words has helped a lot of people compared to actual experiences of failed candidates even if at face value the failed candidate was more experienced. I'll let people who've been through the interview correct me on that one though.

Pretty much any example could be used for the MMI aslong ad you're clearly able to describe how and why the skills, actions etc in that situation would apply or relate to Train driving. I used Programming mostly for mine which I had been doing since 12 as I personally felt it let me express more than my current Railway work would, points wise.

Only on certain points did I refer to my experiences working on the railway and I found with my interviewer that they were very intrested and at times impressed with how I'd relate some programming experiences to and skills needed for that to that needed for Train Driving.

Just depends I guess how confident enough you're in the examples your picking and then breaking them down to their component parts that relate to the Train Driver role.
Interesting. I guess it does kind of show that the interview is just as much about why your examples relate to the train driver role compared to what you think relates to it.

Meerkat

Established Member
From experience in an unrelated (and non-safety critical industry) the 18 year olds are much easier to manage and more disciplined and harder working than those who have spent three years on the doss at university; then think they are too good for routine work because they are a graduate. (Before I am accused of envy I did go to university)
In Response to the comments about party animals young folk these days are scarily non-drinking. They just don’t drink and power drink like was the norm in my generation.
If lifestyles are an issue it surely makes sense to get them out of school rather than before they have built up a working and legal drinking lifestyle for a few years.

whoosh

Established Member
"Why are trains always cancelled on a Saturday afternoon?!"
"Well, we're short staffed and traditionally less people want to volunteer for overtime on a Saturday - particularly in the afternoon."
"But I thought you'd recruited loads of eighteen year olds straight from school to drive the trains? So you shouldn't even need overtime?"
"Well we did, but they are compelled to do National Service at the weekends..."

AverageJoe

Funny how there is probably thousands of people sat in talent pools who have reached the required standard but haven’t been offered a start date due to lack of training opportunities….But lowering the age will solve this apparently :lol:

DMckduck97

Funny how there is probably thousands of people sat in talent pools who have reached the required standard but haven’t been offered a start date due to lack of training opportunities….But lowering the age will solve this apparently :lol:
Precisely that and then you get the old tripe along the lines of "sorry, your management interview has now expired due to the six month threshold"

Talent pools simply shouldn't exist, either the recruitment process is robust and produces talent good enough for the role or it doesn't, this highest score rubbish is exactly that, rubbish.

66701GBRF

Your argument falls down right at the start I'm afraid. By far the biggest percentage of road fatalities are caused by young male car drivers. That isn't a coincidence I'm afraid, and is probably actually a good argument against lowering the legal age for train driving, not one for it.
Your own argument fails. You can drive London Underground at 18, you can be a Signaller at 18, you can be a commercial pilot at 18 as well as a whole host of safety critical ancillary roles. 18 is not the determining factor for suitability.

Last edited:

DMckduck97

Your own argument fails. You can drive London Underground at 18, you can be a Signaller at 18, you can be a commercial pilot at 18 as well as a whole host of safety critical ancillary roles. 18 is not the determining factor for suitability.
In the case of being a commercial pilot, the only reason you can do that at 18 is because of £

Pilot is and always has been a closed shop, underground you can be 18 but need to go the internal route, so not sure how many underground operators exist at 18.

Any signallers at 18 either? Problem is these are the minimum age but this also proves why it's pointless

irish_rail

On Moderation
No my argument is absolutely cast iron. You simply cannot argue with the fact most road fatalities are caused by young male drivers. The male brain is not reckoned to be fully formed until the late 20s. I simply don't see any advantage to taking on untested 18 year olds when we already get countless applications for every position. Just the current Gov want non unionised workers who will work for a pittance, and to hell with all the good that has been achieved in improving rail safety over past 30 years.

The Puddock

Any signallers at 18 either? Problem is these are the minimum age but this also proves why it's pointless
I was a signaller at 18 (having started on the railway at 17) and I’ve personally met a handful of others over my career, so it’s not common but also not exceptionally rare either.

Last edited:

PudseyBearHST

What other jobs have a minimum age of 21 years of age? (I get a lot of jobs that are 18+ may not be realistically attainable at 18 but I’m interested in jobs that do have a physical age barrier)

Samzino

Established Member
But if being an 18 - 21 year old driver was an issue then why is the minimum age still 21. Its actually around 25 and up that the statistics for young car drivers in accidents really decreases.

You can be in control of a large double decker bus with about 80 passengers on it and driving in some of the most narrow or busy roads at 18 years old, how many of those 18 year old bus drivers are crashing or having accidents compared to their colleagues?

One must also account for the fact that there is a more intense training and suitability checks to be a Train Driver, Pilot etc at the age of 18 and by the time you really pass put for either you're around 19 or possibly 20 depending on other factors.

If a system is Designed to weed out the right characters needed for the role, the instructors day by day are polishing and seeing this individual through their final hours and still happy with what they're seeing then I see no reason as to why the same system that's worked fairly enough in producing a newly qualified driver wouldn't then work with the minimum age change now. They'd simply not take the risk in passing them out as competent if there was such major issues.

I don't think they'd let a reckless Racer Boy drive a train if such a risky or dangerous attitude exists as it would have been spotted earlier on.

Last edited:

66701GBRF

. I simply don't see any advantage to taking on untested 18 year olds when we already get countless applications for every position.
Who said anything about taking on untested people? As far as I am aware, the applicant would still need to take and pass the tests, interviews and medical.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Speed running is a way of finding shortcuts and hacks, and in many cases breaking the game. I don’t think it has much relevance to train driving.

DMckduck97

Speed running is a way of finding shortcuts and hacks, and in many cases breaking the game. I don’t think it has much relevance to train driving.
But then I wouldn't necessarily agree the MMI has much relevance to train driving either.

Lots of people think car drivers should retake their test, yet train drivers don't have to and only have to do 3 yearly rules? Which is examined at all levels by employees of said TOC and not an independent body.

ComUtoR

Established Member
Lots of people think car drivers should retake their test, yet train drivers don't have to and only have to do 3 yearly rules?

Whilst not specifically a driving test. Rules are regularly reassessed. (ours is over a two year cycle) That would be the equivalent of car drivers taking a highway code refresher every few years.

Train Drivers are also monitored very very closely. We have random OTDR (downloads) and regular driving assessments. At my TOC this changes with experience and in your first year you are subject to numerous assessments and regular DM contacts but they slacken off each new cycle.

In the proposal, there is a question about 18yr olds being closely monitored or even accompanied and even potentially going back to a line of promotion style entry. Shunting > Second-man > Driver etc. How do people feel about those proposals ? Should a Driver who has passed their driving competency be subject to a different level of assessments or need to earn their stripes in some way ?

WAB

In the proposal, there is a question about 18yr olds being closely monitored or even accompanied and even potentially going back to a line of promotion style entry. Shunting > Second-man > Driver etc. How do people feel about those proposals ? Should a Driver who has passed their driving competency be subject to a different level of assessments or need to earn their stripes in some way ?
We shouldn't have second-men for the same reason they were removed in the first place.

Depot drivers could be alright, but again are you adding to the lead time for recruitment for a vacant driver's post? At smaller depots, you'd need to have plenty of depot drivers lurking just in case a mainline driver suddenly leaves, whilst at the same time avoiding newbies spending too much time on the depot driving link, getting bored and moving on.

irish_rail

On Moderation
Who said anything about taking on untested people? As far as I am aware, the applicant would still need to take and pass the tests, interviews and medical.
Would that be the same tests they have already stated need to be looked at to ensure the "right" people can pass them?.....

AY1975

Established Member
This was the case when I did mine 20+ years ago!

Whilst the youngest train driver in the country some years ago, was 18 (on London Underground), I bet there aren't, and haven't been, many 18-20 year olds driving tube trains.

Also, young people who want to join the railway can do so in other roles, and then can get used to (and demonstrate!) working shifts and following instructions and rules. When I started my driver training, the youngest person had been a Shunter previously.

ASLEF's higher-ups joined the railway at 16 as Traction Trainees, then progressed to Secondmen, then Drivers. They believe in Employer Justified Retirement Age (EJRA) whereby whatever is going on in your personal life with regard to finances, however good your medical fitness, or however much you love your job and would like to carry on, you MUST retire so as to give a young person your job.
Even though that's not how it works. Plenty of drivers have had other jobs previously and joined the railway later on in life, and sometimes could do with a couple of extra years of good wages and pension contributions.
ASLEF agreeing to drivers being 18 is the leadership harking back to the 'good old days' and is part of their idealism fantasy in my opinion.
I believe that junior railmen (or railpeople I suppose we should say nowadays!) could start at 16 in BR days or at least up until the 1970s or 80s, but was there a minimum age at which they could progress to Secondmen and to drivers? And what about after the Secondman grade had been abolished?

And what about on London Underground? Did junior apprentices there follow a similar career progression to those on BR?

Stigy

Established Member
But then I wouldn't necessarily agree the MMI has much relevance to train driving either.

Lots of people think car drivers should retake their test, yet train drivers don't have to and only have to do 3 yearly rules? Which is examined at all levels by employees of said TOC and not an independent body.
We’re assessed on an ongoing basis though, not just through rules every few years.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Precisely that and then you get the old tripe along the lines of "sorry, your management interview has now expired due to the six month threshold"

Talent pools simply shouldn't exist, either the recruitment process is robust and produces talent good enough for the role or it doesn't, this highest score rubbish is exactly that, rubbish.

If more people are over the pass mark than there are vacancies, talent pools are fine. Having a readily available set of people without going through another recruitment round is a great idea.

However in practice they are badly administered, maintained and processed which means that people are left waiting away in there, especially for mass campaigns like drivers. A better solution would be increasing the size of most TOCs tiny recruitment teams.

Would that be the same tests they have already stated need to be looked at to ensure the "right" people can pass them?.....

And what is your insinuation here? Who do you think are the “right” people and who do you think “others” believe are the “right” people?

irish_rail

On Moderation
And what is your insinuation here? Who do you think are the “right” people and who do you think “others” believe are the “right” people?
How the hell should i know who the Dft consider the right people are? But it was listed in the article that first reported this idea, that they need to look at the tests and do what needs to be done to ensure the "right" people can pass them. They have already removed parts that certain groups where failing (mechanical comprhension test) but clearly they have decided they dont want to stop there.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
How the hell should i know who the Dft consider the right people are? But it was listed in the article that first reported this idea, that they need to look at the tests and do what needs to be done to ensure the "right" people can pass them. They have already removed parts that certain groups where failing (mechanical comprhension test) but clearly they have decided they dont want to stop there.

You said "the right people". I simply cannot find any quote in the original article from the BBC or anything subsequent that suggests that. Please do send a link to it.