• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Proposed Melton Parkway Interchange, West Hull

mike57

Established Member
Whilst SDO’s might be a solution for smaller stations would it not be sensible to provide 260m length platforms at the onset for Melton as a parkway interchange?
To me its a must, Brough is 180m ish, so at least both units of 2 x 802 can open doors onto the platform, allbeit with some doors locked out.

A lot of TPE trains are now 2 x 3cars, 140m ish, and TPE also need to run longer trains, again because of capacity.

What would be the cost difference between 130m and 260m be if it was built that way from the start, not a lot I would imagine, as you still need all the support infrastructure, bridges, lifts etc, however long the platforms. Adding length later would cost a lot more I imagine.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Killingworth

Established Member
This thread will be of very little interest to the majority of Forum members, possibly even to most in Yorkshire :s

The city of Hull suffers economically because for many generations those with money have tended to live outside the city boundary, either out to the west or north around Beverley. Attempts to bring the East Riding suburbs within the city limits have been fiercely resisted. The Brough and Ferriby area has grown, not least because very many people not born in the area want quicker access to the outside world. Property prices are generally higher than to the east side of the city. (In earlier days many towns and cities developed that way because westerly winds kept smoke away - in Hull it was also the smell of fish!)

Anyone looking at statistics for the city itself will see a somewhat depressing view. Go outside the boundary and the built up area effectively continues towards Anlaby, Willerby, Cottingham, Hessle, Kirkella, Swanland, North Ferriby and then to developed villages like Welton, Brough, South and North Cave and Walkington. That's where much of the money has gone. Currently the catchment area for Brough, but potentially probably more so for Melton.

mike57

Established Member
Attempts to bring the East Riding suburbs within the city limits have been fiercely resisted.
At the risk of getting off topic, we live right at the Northern edge of the East Riding, rural, and totally different in character to the Hull suburban area, and there are pressures locally to split with Beverley, and create a new Authority based on Bridlington.

I dont mind subsidising public transport, even that which I am not going to use personally, but I dont see this development as a priority, or one which will actually get people out of their cars and onto public transport.

The users you mention from the western suburbs of Hull will just travel from Melton rather than Brough, but would there be a big increase in usage? I think the serious congestion on A164 from Beverley down to the Humber Bridge will put new users off as this is the obvious route, the saving in time will be minimal as most of the journey to the rail head will be spent negotiating the A164. The only alternative is the back roads down through Little Weighton. Once you go west from Brough/Melton the population density thins very quickly.

For travel in to Hull you already have the Priory Park Park and Ride.

The City of Hull has done a lot to improve its image over the last 20 years or so, but as a place to live it has drawbacks. Its very much out on a limb, at the end of a road/rail link.

Killingworth

Established Member
The users you mention from the western suburbs of Hull will just travel from Melton rather than Brough, but would there be a big increase in usage?
Probably not, although the justification is serving nearby businesses yet to be built. Success of Kirkstall Forge may be a useful guide to possible uptake.

We're sometimes told to consider the final mile. In many areas it's more relevant to consider the final 500 metres. Further than that and it's into the car, a far cry from the days of railway construction when cars were unknown - and neither were bicycles! A walked mile was quite normal.

YorksLad12

Established Member
I cant see any cost estimates amongst the East Riding publicity, what is a station on this scale likely to cost?
I thought I saw £30m mentioned, but might be confusing this with a different station. Haxby was costed at £24.5m (but probably near £30m by the time it's built).
Probably not, although the justification is serving nearby businesses yet to be built. Success of Kirkstall Forge may be a useful guide to possible uptake.
Define "success". It was supposed to open up the regeneration of a large development site, with a school, housing, flats, businesses. So far we have... a couple of office blocks. I'm a fan (I want to move there!) but I don't think it's repaid the investment yet.

Killingworth

Established Member
I thought I saw £30m mentioned, but might be confusing this with a different station. Haxby was costed at £24.5m (but probably near £30m by the time it's built).

Define "success". It was supposed to open up the regeneration of a large development site, with a school, housing, flats, businesses. So far we have... a couple of office blocks. I'm a fan (I want to move there!) but I don't think it's repaid the investment yet.

Exactly. It looked very good when I visited in first month of opening. Lots of potential yet ticket machine not under any cover, steel mesh instead of windows in shelters, but masses of glass in the footbridge - much of it smashed quite quickly I heard? At 250k users pa already which is quite impressive for a new station. Brough gets over 400k.

MontyP

When I first used Brough 35 years ago (my parents still live in the area), it felt a lot smaller and the time to get from the A63 to the station was insignificant. Now the village has grown considerably, the traffic can be bad and can take 10 mins from the A63 on a bad day. So for those (mostly long distance) travellers using Brough as a railhead for Leeds, London etc then Melton makes a lot of sense. However much of the growth of Brough has been driven by having such a good local train service into Hull - not many villages with that population outside the major contributions have what is not far off a turn up and go frequency. So for local residents who use the trains into Hull I think there would be a lot of resistance to removing calls from (say) the TPE, fast Sheffield and London trains.

Out of interest - when did calls at Brough become the default for every service travelling into Hull from the west?

Donny Dave

Established Member
I'm not sure if it has been mentioned, as I've only skip read this topic, but ....

The BBC had an article about this roughly 2 weeks ago, stating that the new station could serve an Amazon warehouse.

A new railway station and transport interchange could be built in Melton.

East Riding of Yorkshire Council has launched a consultation on the proposal, which would also include bus stops and a car park with almost 500 spaces.

The Melton Interchange would address "significant capacity issues" at peak times at North Ferriby and Brough stations, according to consultation documents.

The area is undergoing significant development, including the construction of an Amazon distribution centre, which is due to bring up to 2,000 jobs to the Melton West business park.

Last edited: