• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New station for Warrington West

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Sankey goes down to peak hours only (I believe to the effect of three or four trains per day).

PR1Berske

Established Member
The station name appears, in light type, on some Northern network maps.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Hasn't Warrington BC failed to get the cash to build it?
Or at least deferred until the next round of bids for new station funding.
Wiki says they eventually found the money but NR had put the price up by then.

sauropod99

I walk past it on my way to Warrington and have sometimes seen workers on the site (looks like surveying). There's also been a bit of work done on the south side of the line (cutting trees down and some road work)

stephen rp

£4.2m funding from the New Stations Fund announced today. Work starts in the autumn.

kieron

Established Member
Or what about just keep it, improve the service and refurbish it and save the millions of pounds?
The council did discuss improving Sankey for Penketh in the New Station Fund application form (available here).

The only improvement listed is longer booking office hours, but I assume changes to the service pattern were also planned. I don't know if they looked at the cost of (say) acquiring land for a new car park, or doing whatever it would take to get buses to use Park Road.

Last edited:

8A Rail

Established Member
I must admit I am puzzled by all this as why Warrington West is proposed in the first place altough too late now.

Sankey did have plenty of space around the station, especially down line side BUT someone decided to let the land go and build houses on it a few years ago yet with a bit of forward thinking, Sankey Station just needed some money spent to upgarde it along with having a proper park and ride facility too.

If that happened no need for Warrington West given the proposed distance between the stations.

stephen rp

Part funded by section 106 agreements from the Chapelford and Omega developments, so better access to those developments, on a site with room for over 200 cars and buses outside the station. No way the roads round Sankey station could cope.

8A Rail

Established Member
Part funded by section 106 agreements from the Chapelford and Omega developments, so better access to those developments, on a site with room for over 200 cars and buses outside the station. No way the roads round Sankey station could cope.
As I said, "too late" but I assume the idea is to serve both Liverpool and Manchester (& beyond) rather than passengers getting on/off for Warrington Central?

(Ok the answer is coming as "yes").

stephen rp

There may be a few commuters from the immediate area to Warrington, especially for a train that takes 5 minutes at cheaper fares than the bus which takes 15 on a good traffic day. Too many cheap parking spaces in the town centre to tempt some but 15000 people are within 10 minutes walk (not true of Sankey). It will be an attractive alternative for drivers especially on days when the motorways are closed and Warrington is at a standstill.

Sankey Wire

Sankey Station is more accessible (on foot, at least) for the majority of the Penketh, Sankey and Whittle Hall area, but not so easy to access from Westbrook, Callands, Burtonwood or indeed Chapelford.

Sankey can't cope with the current amount of cars wanting to park at the station and Station Road is bedlam when the last trains from Liverpool kick out on a busy Friday/Saturday.

The new station will have ample parking and better road connections to the Omega developement and the surrounding areas. The powers that be will need to work with Warrington Borough Transport to improve bus links in Chapelford, though, as I suspect few current users of Sankey Station will be able (or should I say willing) to walk to Warrington West.

The area will certainly benefit from improved services to the east; currently the first direct train from Sankey to Manchester is not until 0820.

Sankey Wire

Work began in earnest this week, with a low-key ceremony attended by rail and council officials.

Attachments

• 39B816B1-1317-4E41-87D6-6A647F862A45.jpeg
    39B816B1-1317-4E41-87D6-6A647F862A45.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 89

PR1Berske

Established Member
I have found a .pdf detailing the civil and rail works being carried out over the next few weeks on Warrington Council's website. I tried to copy and paste the entire thing here but it does not carry over very well.

The website source is - https://www.warrington.gov.uk/info/201362/warrington_west/2022/warrington_west_station

The .pdf can be found at the link on that page called "Latest update"

This is the kind of thing on the .pdf :

Activities w/c 1st October 2018 (all day time works unless otherwise noted)
1. Civils Works a. Roof installation ongoing b. Cladding insulation c. Material/ Plant deliveries d. Removal of stockpiled material e. Lighting Column installation

2. Rail works - day time operations a. Ducting and chambers b. Concreting to south platform front wall to duct levels c. Soil loosening pre pile installation d. Lift permanent sheet piles and pile press into place

Sankey Wire

The file is updated each week, the site is coming along well now.

If there is interest, I will add some photographs to this thread.

Gathursty

Established Member
I was sceptical but after once struggling to park at Sankey station, I can understand why Warrington West is being built.

Is Kanye West going to open it?

duffield

Established Member
I was sceptical but after once struggling to park at Sankey station, I can understand why Warrington West is being built.

Is Kanye West going to open it?

No. His name is now 'Ye' so without the 'West' it would be pointless. Adam West (the 'real' Batman) is the people's choice.

geoffk

Established Member
As I said, "too late" but I assume the idea is to serve both Liverpool and Manchester (& beyond) rather than passengers getting on/off for Warrington Central?

(Ok the answer is coming as "yes").
There is nowhere on the CLC route where trains can overtake. Putting the Warrington West platforms (or Birchwood for that matter) on loops off the main line would have provided this facility but of course the cost would have blown the business case out of the water. So we are stuck with two fasts and two stoppers every hour (and some of the small stations at the Manchester end only get a train every two hours) and no paths for freight, charters etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.