• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

PTS Course Dress Code???

crt-crt

Have my PTS next week was just wondering. On the email is says the dress code is uniform / smart office wear. I was planning to go in tracky bottoms, hoodie and coat. Are they really that strict on what you wear on a two day course when the second day is practical based?

For those who have already done the PTS course what did you wear?

Also is the practical day shorter than the first day of learning? Meaning do we get to finish earlier.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AndySV1K

Personally I'd say following what's written on your paperwork will do you more good than ignoring it.

I have PTS in a couple of weeks and will go in office wear for the first day and outdoor for the second. Personally I can't see why you'd want to lower your first impressions with your new employer.

crt-crt

Personally I'd say following what's written on your paperwork will do you more good than ignoring it.

I have PTS in a couple of weeks and will go in office wear for the first day and outdoor for the second. Personally I can't see why you'd want to lower your first impressions with your new employer.

Sorry, I was asking more so for the second day practical I was a little confused that they would expect us to wear smart office wear on the practical. The email says smart office wear only. Though yes you are right.

AndySV1K

Sorry, I was asking more so for the second day practical I was a little confused that they would expect us to wear smart office wear on the practical. The email says smart office wear only. Though yes you are right.
Ah I see sorry, i got confused with it as well. My paperwork says to wear outdoor clothing for day two. I might take that as beach wear and go in a pair of budgie smugglers. :E

Established Member
I was planning to go in tracky bottoms, hoodie and coat. Are they really that strict on what you wear on a two day course when the second day is practical based?

I’d get clarity from the instructors on the first day around what they expect you to wear for the practical session. I wouldn’t personally want to be the only person in tracksuit/hoodie when everyone else has turned out in the usual chinos/shirt etc!

Last edited:

Saltire1973

On the application for your new job were you asked "Do you have experience of following instructions?" or "Tell us about a time you followed rules & procedures" or words to that effect............

The Puddock

Is this for a TOC/FOC or for Network Rail or another infrastructure company? If it’s Network Rail then they’re not bothered as long as you’re not wearing shorts or a football top. Most people wear jeans/joggers and t-shirt to the training centres.

I’ve no idea what the TOCs/FOCs expect but I’d guess they take a more formal approach.

driver9000

Established Member
The only person who is able to confirm what you need to wear for the practical element is the person delivering the course. Follow the instructions you've been given already and ask when you get there.

Juliet Barvo

Have my PTS next week was just wondering. On the email is says the dress code is uniform / smart office wear. I was planning to go in tracky bottoms, hoodie and coat. Are they really that strict on what you wear on a two day course when the second day is practical based?

Also is the practical day shorter than the first day of learning? Meaning do we get to finish earlier.
PTS practical is walking out to a section of track, laying a det, crossing the track, maybe point out the features.

Uniform, and you should follow the instructions you have been given. If you can't follow instructions then please don't come on the railway.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
I get clarity from the instructors on the first day around what they expect you to wear for the practical session. I wouldn’t personally want to be the only person in tracksuit/hoodie when everyone else has turned out in the usual chinos/shirt etc!

I would do as above - seek clarity on your first day for suitable attire for the second day.

Follow instructions for day 100%, day 2 you’ll need to be in full high vis and PPE so probably a little more relaxed as you’ll want to change when you’re there (unless you fancy travelling to your course dressed like a traffic cone)

Have you got prep work and revision for this too?
It’s not a learn all, take your tests and assessments in the 2 days

You can find some practice tests here and the network rail guide to PTS is the bible that will help you learn everything you need to know

D365

Veteran Member
More likely than not, you will be going ’lineside’ on both days. So I wore my work gear throughout - cargo trousers, polo shirt, hi-vis vest, steel capped boots, hard hat, safety glasses.

Darandio

Established Member
More likely than not, you will be going ’lineside’ on both days. So I wore my work gear throughout - cargo trousers, polo shirt, hi-vis vest, steel capped boots, hard hat, safety glasses.

I've never seen one for quite sometime where it's been lineside for one than one of the days. Could differ by location of course.

Established Member

Fairly likely they won’t have uniform yet, in which case it’s likely to be smart casual at a minimum. No real reason why the PTS practical can’t be done in that type of attire, with reasonably stout shoes.

Established Member
Surely this is a satire post?

Anyone who's got a job with a meaningful amount of training who's asking before they even start to change the dress code and go home early would be put very much in the category "likely to fail probation/not pass out"

crt-crt

Surely this is a satire post?

Anyone who's got a job with a meaningful amount of training who's asking before they even start to change the dress code and go home early would be put very much in the category "likely to fail probation/not pass out"

Sorry, if my post came across this way but I was referring to the practical. How you portray what I wrote isn’t what I intended. I was a little confused as to why the email would state smart office wear / uniform. My current work uniform is trackie bottoms, hoodie, high vis and steel boots. My full high work attire is on order and don't have any official uniform as of yet. I asked about the finish time of the practical as I am trying to sort out transport since I do not live by where the practical is being held. Reading some of these replies is making it seem like I’m deliberately trying to get out of following instructions which isn’t the case at all.

Last edited:

AverageJoe

Sorry, if my post came across this way but I was referring to the practical. How you portray what I wrote isn’t what I intended. I was a little confused as to why the email would state smart office wear / uniform. My current work uniform is trackie bottoms, hoodie, high vis and steel boots. My full high work attire is on order and don't have any official uniform as of yet. I asked about the finish time of the practical as I am trying to sort out transport since I do not live by where the practical is being held. Reading some of these replies is making it seem like I’m deliberately trying to get out of following instructions which isn’t the case at all.
as regards the finish time, well only the company in question can answer that.

With regards to what clothing to wear then I would look at what clothing is worn by those already in the role you are applying for. And of course if the letter says smart then dress smart.

Train drivers can have different uniforms which may include smart trousers, blazers and shirt with tie… when they need to go lineside they don’t get changed in to sports clothing, they go down to the track as they are. So it’s not like you can’t wear smart clothing for going lineside which is what PTS training is for.

twpsaesneg

You will need full high viz PPE for the practical element of the course, including gloves, glasses, hard hat and boots, as you will be taken lineside on the operational railway. Check your joining instructions carefully as you are normally expected to bring your own kit, unless they specifically say they will provide it.

This is based on the full infrastructure PTS courses, if you're with a TOC I know they have shortened forms which may not be as full on!