• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

PTS failed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nomorebats

Hello,
I’m new on the PTS course and I failed the final test.

Am I able to redo it ? And what happens now?

I passed the initial ‘ at home ‘ tests but this one i struggled with.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The Puddock

Sure your trainer discussed this with you, they wouldn’t have just gone “Sorry you’ve failed, cheerio!”.

Did they not go through the questions you had failed on with you? Did they not explain what happens next?

Samzino

Hello,

How did you practise pts at home? Do you have tracks at your backyard??

ComUtoR

Established Member
How did you practise pts at home? Do you have tracks at your backyard??

It was most likely a theory test. My TOC does the PTS assessment as a multiple choice question paper. You can take the test online yourself; I believe it's been linked on this site before.

What do you believe a practical PTS assessment would look like ? It's not just about crossing the track.

Samzino

It was most likely a theory test. My TOC does the PTS assessment as a multiple choice question paper. You can take the test online yourself; I believe it's been linked on this site before.

What do you believe a practical PTS assessment would look like ? It's not just about crossing the track.
I know it's not about just crossing a track but a key component of it is to access it in some form. Else how can they truly be sure you'll put the theory to practicality.

But yeh I see its must be a theory test he passed initially before the main thing.

MT18

I know it's not about just crossing a track but a key component of it is to access it in some form. Else how can they truly be sure you'll put the theory to practicality.

But yeh I see its must be a theory test he passed initially before the main thing.
This is true, remember having to access at Larbert station, stand at safe distance in the cess and watch trains flying past us to get a ‘feel’. Can remember thinking ‘what the hell am I doing here’ was nonsense though as it green zone only up here by then.

Samzino

This is true, remember having to access at Larbert station, stand at safe distance in the cess and watch trains flying past us to get a ‘feel’. Can remember thinking ‘what the hell am I doing here’ was nonsense though as it green zone only up here by then.
Indeed. Must have been exhilarating :lol:

ComUtoR

Established Member
I know it's not about just crossing a track but a key component of it is to access it in some form.

I have never done a practical PTS assessment. My PTS has always been a Theory Assessment. My Competency is assessed as a combination of practical/theory but my competency cycle is separate from my PTS assessment.

Else how can they truly be sure you'll put the theory to practicality.

It's the same way we assess rules. Mostly theory, some practical observation, some scenario based. How would you assess evacuations etc. ? It's a theory and scenario based discussion. Nobody can ever be sure if you have the ability to practically apply the rules and regs in every situation. Train people first. That way you can have some security before going out on a live railway where the risks could cost you your life. Give people knowledge, before we put them in danger.

I still remember the first time I stood next to a unit at track level and the first time I had to put the bar down. I remember when my first Trainee had a unit moving less than a foot from him. Passing the theory arms us for the reality of the crazy workplace we live in. Without the confidence of the training behind me or my delegate/candidate/trainee; the practical side would be pretty scary.

TOCs will assess each part of their competency using a variety of methods. As @TreacleMiller rightly states. Employer/Role is very important here as it will determine the outcome.

Samzino

I have never done a practical PTS assessment. My PTS has always been a Theory Assessment. My Competency is assessed as a combination of practical/theory but my competency cycle is separate from my PTS assessment.

It's the same way we assess rules. Mostly theory, some practical observation, some scenario based. How would you assess evacuations etc. ? It's a theory and scenario based discussion. Nobody can ever be sure if you have the ability to practically apply the rules and regs in every situation. Train people first. That way you can have some security before going out on a live railway where the risks could cost you your life. Give people knowledge, before we put them in danger.

I still remember the first time I stood next to a unit at track level and the first time I had to put the bar down. I remember when my first Trainee had a unit moving less than a foot from him. Passing the theory arms us for the reality of the crazy workplace we live in. Without the confidence of the training behind me or my delegate/candidate/trainee; the practical side would be pretty scary.

TOCs will assess each part of their competency using a variety of methods. As @TreacleMiller rightly states. Employer/Role is very important here as it will determine the outcome.
Indeed true on that side.

LCC106

Established Member
As asked above, what is your job and who is your employer? What exactly have you failed on? How has it been left?

Established Member
Usually most employers would allow a resit but proper practice & revising is essential to passing this. Should find your own ways of remembering certain things...

eg on an overhead elec line stantion number plate, I use a silly acronym... RMT ... R - Route, M - Miles, T - Tree (ie the stantion number).

Juliet Barvo

Hello,

I'm guessing you're a Track Worker and have self funded your PTS and done eLearning at Home, but when you got to your training course you failed on something?

Good news is you can bang away at PTS as many times as you like, just as long as you or someone else is willing to fund it.

Keep practicing at home, practice makes perfect. And learn from the feedback you got from your trainer.

12LDA28C

Established Member
I'm guessing you're a Track Worker and have self funded your PTS and done eLearning at Home, but when you got to your training course you failed on something?

Good news is you can bang away at PTS as many times as you like, just as long as you or someone else is willing to fund it.

Keep practicing at home, practice makes perfect. And learn from the feedback you got from your trainer.

I was under the impression you had to have an official sponsor to gain PTS certification? Not sure you can just pay yourself, take the test and then go wandering along the track on a main line somewhere.

The Puddock

I was under the impression you had to have an official sponsor to gain PTS certification? Not sure you can just pay yourself, take the test and then go wandering along the track on a main line somewhere.
You do need a sponsoring company to hold a Sentinel card for infrastructure work but some labour agencies will sponsor candidates who pay for their own courses etc… As in, you pay for the initial cost of the medical and training course and the agency will agree to sponsor you and offer you work (usually on a zero hours contract) a bit like Ryanair’s cabin crew arrangements. The way track competencies are managed in Network Rail’s contractor supply chain is totally different to how TOCs and FOCs manage their staff.

I would still expect a decent trainer to explain to a failed candidate where they have gone wrong and offer advice about what the next steps are.

Train_manager

Hello,

Sorry my bad.

My post wasn't intended to come across that way.

Please speak to your manager and good luck mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.