• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Pts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steam Man

On Moderation
What’s the pass percentage for Pts some of us got to renew our Pts on the SDR me included one of my colleagues attempted the test yesterday he only got 70% so (failed) I feel for him hopefully he’ll get a chance to resit I know what’s it’s like to fail an exam I’m not the best at exams myself I am a bit worried

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PupCuff

In regards to heritage railways each will set their own standards. Really, track safety isn't that complicated in the grand scheme of things, I would be somewhat concerned if folk weren't attaining very close to 100%. Even if you only have 20 questions 70% (assuming no weighting etc) is getting 6 wrong-or-not-to-sufficient-standard which suggests some more training would be required.

LCC106

Established Member
Agreed. To be getting 70% you really aren’t “getting” it. If there’s anything you’re not sure on leave it and come back to it at the end. Take your time and reread questions if they don’t make sense.

Steam Man

On Moderation
Agreed. To be getting 70% you really aren’t “getting” it. If there’s anything you’re not sure on leave it and come back to it at the end. Take your time and reread questions if they don’t make sense.
I normally do tests with the mindset is that if I’m unsure of the question I pass and if at the end I’ve got time I go back to it

Stigy

Established Member
I’ve never got less than 96% on a PTS and I wouldn’t consider myself particularly good at assessments :D

It opened my eyes somewhat when I started Driver training and had to start taking assessments which weren’t mostly multiple choice too.

70% on a PTS indicates there’s probably an underlying issue that the participant wasn’t “getting” I agree. I can’t remember exactly the amount of “points” on offer on a PTS (plus different TOCs vary), but there would be around 80 I’d imagine? That being the case, 70% would be 56 correct, which is very low for a largely multiple choice test.

As I said, different companies have different pass marks, SWR was always 86%, but GWR is 91% across the board (or was but the way in which assessments are carried out has changed now).

Last edited:

Jamie Price

As a guard at my TOC the pass mark in the training course is 68/75. This is multiple choice however, different to the rules exam.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
I think it's ~90% or I think it was when I did it. 90% seems to be the standard for many railway components like dispatch as well.

Established Member
What’s the pass percentage for Pts some of us got to renew our Pts on the SDR me included one of my colleagues attempted the test yesterday he only got 70% so (failed) I feel for him hopefully he’ll get a chance to resit I know what’s it’s like to fail an exam I’m not the best at exams myself I am a bit worried

I don’t mean this unkindly, but I’d question whether someone who is unable to pass PTS first time every time is suitable to perform a safety critical role (whether on a preserved railway or otherwise).

@Steam Man, any particular reason why your friend has struggled (language barrier, learning difficulty etc.)?

PupCuff

I don’t mean this unkindly, but I’d question whether someone who is unable to pass PTS first time every time is suitable to perform a safety critical role (whether on a preserved railway or otherwise).

@Steam Man, any particular reason why your friend has struggled (language barrier, learning difficulty etc.)?
I've done heritage rail stuff in the past and I would say one of the most rewarding things about being part of it all was being able to see people from all walks of life (we had plenty of young volunteers, as well as some with individual needs) and all levels of experience and life skills coming into the business and developing themselves. I'd be bringing people into our team with fairly severe autism, for instance, and needing support with things like filling in paperwork and whatnot who over time and in a positive environment with supportive managers developed I suppose what we'd call in the 'big railway' world their Non-Technical Skills, gradually needing less and less support and going on to progress to more 'senior' grades and do a really really good job at it. Not being able to pass PTS is perhaps more an indictment on the training versus the individual; the question I'd be asking if the delegate just wasn't 'getting it' would be whether we should be putting them forward for assessment yet or whether they need some one-on-one coaching.

Established Member
I'd be bringing people into our team with fairly severe autism, for instance, and needing support with things like filling in paperwork and whatnot who over time and in a positive environment with supportive managers developed I suppose what we'd call in the 'big railway' world their Non-Technical Skills, gradually needing less and less support and going on to progress to more 'senior' grades and do a really really good job at it. Not being able to pass PTS is perhaps more an indictment on the training versus the individual;

That is all to the good in my view. Also an excellent demonstration of how heritage railways are about far more than just playing trains, and can be of real benefit to those who volunteer. Autism seems particularly prevalent amongst rail enthusiasts, so I imagine people with ASD are over represented amongst volunteers.

Agree with you re. training; an assessment really should just be a formality with no surprises. If someone has a particular issue that makes learning difficult for them, then of course that should be accommodated as far as possible. However there’s also no getting away from the fact they will need to meet the minimum standard of competence necessary to perform safely in their role.

Status
Not open for further replies.