• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Pubs and eateries near stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

backontrack

Established Member
It'd be good if we could keep a catalogue going of good places to refuel or rehydrate while out on our travels.

So reply to this thread to get the ball rolling! Give us your recommendations.

I'll start us off with Canterbury's own Unicorn Inn. It's just on the other side of the level crossing from Canterbury West. The menu looks decent – I've never tried it – but also there's a lovely atmosphere, and a decent range of beers and ales. Plus they have stacks of Private Eye issues in the corner.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

NorthWestRover

Established Member
Recently refurbished and re-opened is The Swan & Railway opposite Wigan North Western, so obviously close to Wallgate too. Good beer, pies (of course) and live departure screens. Sky TV if you're interested.

Just under the railway bridge are Wigan Central (Real ale mecca), Hideout (best coffee in Wigan, good food, wine too), Plata Tapas and 1984 - new tapas restaurant and cocktail bar respectively.

Hope all of these survive.

backontrack

Established Member
Recently refurbished and re-opened is The Swan & Railway opposite Wigan North Western, so obviously close to Wallgate too. Good beer, pies (of course) and live departure screens. Sky TV if you're interested.

Just under the railway bridge are Wigan Central (Real ale mecca), Hideout (best coffee in Wigan, good food, wine too), Plata Tapas and 1984 - new tapas restaurant and cocktail bar respectively.

Very decent-sounding lot of places! I like the look of Wigan Central's railway theme.

NorthWestRover

Established Member
You can go the other way into Wigan town centre if you're not so picky. Some good places there too, but I went for the closest ones to the station.

backontrack

Established Member
You can go the other way into Wigan town centre if you're not so picky. Some good places there too, but I went for the closest ones to the station.
Thanks for your contributions. :) I might keep a list of suggestions in the opening post.

xotGD

Established Member
There is one answer that applies to around 50% of the stations in the country: Greggs!

For Leeds, exit via the Southern Exit and head down to Granary Wharf for a choice of ale and food. Including The Hop, where you can get pie, mash, peas or beans & gravy and a pint of Ossett Brewery ale for £6. If you a very hungry carnivore - Fazenda.

Mike99

Double 6 café, 150m north of the side entrance to Euston Station in Eversholt Street on the other side of the road, opens early for all the usual breakfast things and then all day into the evening for dinners, shepherds pie etc, plus all snack meals at decent prices, closed at the moment tho…...….

GRALISTAIR

Established Member

Thanks for that recommend. When home I often get a Lancashire Day Ranger and use Wigan a lot - so good to know - thanks.

cactustwirly

Established Member
Oxford and Bristol Temple Meads have AMT coffee stands on the concourses.

Peter C

Established Member
If we're including heritage railways and stations here, Bridgnorth (Severn Valley Railway) has a pub in the station on the platform you enter the station from the street through. Kidderminster Town station (also on the SVR) has a pub in the station as well, at the front; it's called "The King and Castle" or something like that.

-Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.