• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Pumpkin Sheffield closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

ricoblade

Hi all- I tried to find threads on this but they were all closed to replies.

The Pumpkin cafe on platforms 2-5 at Sheffield has closed and is boarded up, I was only in there a couple of weeks ago.

Anyone know what’s happening with it please?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

a_c_skinner

Established Member
It will turn into a coach at midnight. Lets hope Brush isn't converting the white mice for haulage.

(I think all Pumpkin is gone or going)

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Hahaha, this thread would be more accurate if named “Pumpkin Everywhere closed!” They’re dropping like flies.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Is the "Pumpkin" sub-brand being selectively remonikered by owners Select Service Partners Ltd. as "Café Local" (which I think has happened at Wolverhampton station).

D6130

Established Member
Hi all- I tried to find threads on this but they were all closed to replies.

The Pumpkin cafe on platforms 2-5 at Sheffield has closed and is boarded up, I was only in there a couple of weeks ago.

Anyone know what’s happening with it please?
I've always preferred the Sheffield Tap since it opened....but, admittedly, it's quite a hike if your train's departing from platforms 2-5 - or if you're teetotal!

Iskra

Established Member
I doubt anyone will miss it, a very over-priced brand, with mediocre products.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I thought M&S Food outlets on stations were also operated by SSP? I've certainly seen people in SSP uniforms working in the Leeds branch.

Yes, they are, that's my exact point. The post I was replying to bemourned SSP outlets being bad, I said they were bad except those two because they're operated to the franchise spec of the franchisor.

Iskra

Established Member
Yes, they are, that's my exact point. The post I was replying to bemourned SSP outlets being bad, I said they were bad except those two because they're operated to the franchise spec of the franchisor.
I don’t mind the SSP M&S, but the pricing at the SSP BK outlets is extortionate, so I’m not sure you can describe them positively.

Scott1

I don’t mind the SSP M&S, but the pricing at the SSP BK outlets is extortionate, so I’m not sure you can describe them positively.
SSP Greggs are the same, considerably more expensive then other stores.

Personally I don't mind a Pumpkin Coffee, but their stores are run down and dingy. They've needed an update for a long time.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
I think that's a fair description of any SSP outlet in railway stations, airports, ferry terminals, hospitals, shopping centres, etc.

Yep. Repeat for Upper Crust which I’ve never ever understood the appeal of especially when they are regular branded shops a minute away. Soulless, expensive, and only average quality (at best) produce.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

Prices are elevated at all station outlets because Network Rail wants its cut.

Indeed, isn't that why you typically didn't get McDs at stations and motorway services, because they wouldn't allow franchisees to change the prices? I believe they now do, though, hence them being quite common now at the latter.

Yep. Repeat for Upper Crust which I’ve never ever understood the appeal of especially when they are regular branded shops a minute away. Soulless, expensive, and only average quality (at best) produce.

Upper Crust was innovative 20 years ago but has now been rather eclipsed by others offering a better version of the same idea e.g. Pret.

Last edited:

Iskra

Established Member
Prices are elevated at all station outlets because Network Rail wants its cut.
There’s slight elevation, as per the Costa at Sheffield Station, and there’s price gouging as per the BK at Sheffield station. Greggs also manage to maintain reasonable
pricing at such locations. If some brands can maintain reasonable pricing, it rather suggests greed rather than Network Rail being at fault.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Are you effectively suggesting that the "Upper Crust" product offering is now, perhaps, somewhat stale? ;)

:)

I guess it is. 20 or maybe 25 years ago the idea of freshly (ish) made baguettes was quite innovative, the only sandwiches you could buy were prepacked triangles, and Subway only came to the UK in 2001ish.

I wonder would Pret allow them to franchise? Replacing them with that would probably be a good bet. I suppose Camden Food Co is sort of meant to be a copy of Pret but it isn't particularly good, and I'm not sure it ever got out more widely than Euston.

trebor79

Established Member

I guess it is. 20 or maybe 25 years ago the idea of freshly (ish) made baguettes was quite innovative, the only sandwiches you could buy were prepacked triangles, and Subway only came to the UK in 2001ish.

I wonder would Pret allow them to franchise? Replacing them with that would probably be a good bet. I suppose Camden Food Co is sort of meant to be a copy of Pret but it isn't particularly good, and I'm not sure it ever got out more widely than Euston.
There's one at Liverpool Street but every time I've been in the shelves have been almost empty with just afew very expensive sad offerings on display, so I've never actually bought anything there other than a bottle of water.
I do quite like Upper Crust, but I've stopped buying them as they are just stupidly expensive now, and my train travel has dropped off a cliff the past 3 months and I'm not sure if or when it will ever recover.

unlevel42

The 'Application' notices pasted on the windows and doors indicate it will open as something else.

mattdickinson

Pret do have franchises in petrol stations.

The exile

Established Member
They weren’t bad when they started - mind you back then there often wasn’t much alternative.

fandroid

Established Member
The Pumpkin at Newton Abbot was a sad poorly set-up addition to the corner of a waiting room when I visited in April. Some are quite smart, many are well past their sell-by dates. I get the impression that SSP outlets are gradually being replaced on stations by smaller chain outlets (or it's SSP under cunning new disguises).

As an aside I was quite bemused to see an Upper Crust at Berlin Hauptbahnhof

ricoblade

The 'Application' notices pasted on the windows and doors indicate it will open as something else.

Yes, I saw that just now on my way back. It’s still SSP but a “Cafe Local”. There are people in there converting it.

It was OK for a coffee and the staff were very friendly.

Parallel

Established Member
I don’t mind Pumpkin to be honest. Pumpkin do some nice paninis and usually have a very good selection of drinks, cakes and snacks. I also prefer their teas and hot chocolates compared to some other vendors. Upper Crust are OK but their baguettes just seem to be out and uncovered all day which kind of puts me off a bit. Some of these outlets are still popular - The Upper Crust in Swindon (on platforms 1–3) regularly has long queues in the morning peak. I’d imagine a Pret (or similar) would also be popular there though.

I think my favourite are the Cafe Express outlets that they have at places like Bridgend, Chester and Banbury. A good selection of hot food and the prices aren’t too bad.

Russel

Despite the extortionate prices, I was only offered two sachets of ketchup at the Sheffield BK last Monday, to use between two of us!

Status
Not open for further replies.