• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Punctuality of overnight Megabus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Does anybody have experience of the overnight Megabus (2215 Paris - London Victoria 0730) or if not, other overnight coach services under the water?

I'm booked on one in just over a week's time and need to purchase an onward advance from Euston. I'm wondering if an 0846 departure from EUS will be allowing enough time, factoring in potential delays and the tube transfer, or if I should book the 0946.

I'd imagine road delays are rare during these hours - is that the case?

Thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

radamfi

Established Member
The main issue is possible delays at immigration. An excessive delay there can mean missing the planned crossing and overnight crossings are less frequent. However there is usually a lot of slack time added to the journey to allow for such delays and you will normally arrive early.

Myb

In 2011, I travelled on Eurolines (Paris 2200 - London Victoria 0615 via Eurotunnel); the coach arrived in Victoria at 0430.

I well remember the joy I experienced when it became clear I would get the two seats for myself, to be replaced mere few seconds before departure by utter annoyance thanks to a passenger sitting in the contiguous seat with a smelly and greasy McDonald's meal; which he didn't care to throw away during the journey! <(

I dropped the return and used Eurostar instead.

Last edited:

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
Does anybody have experience of the overnight Megabus (2215 Paris - London Victoria 0730) or if not, other overnight coach services under the water?

I'm booked on one in just over a week's time and need to purchase an onward advance from Euston. I'm wondering if an 0846 departure from EUS will be allowing enough time, factoring in potential delays and the tube transfer, or if I should book the 0946.

I'd imagine road delays are rare during these hours - is that the case?

Thanks!

That one is normally on time, thought it has been running late from time to time due to the immigrant issue in France.

As far as I can recall, there is normally not that many delays on the roads that time

Quakkerillo

Always use Megabus to do cross-channel travel. Always arrive about 45 minutes early, except when the migrant issues took off last year.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Thanks for all replies. Given that nobody here's got a horror story ( ;) ) I've booked the 0846. My megabus turning up an hour late at Brussels isn't exactly a confidence boost though :lol: It's probably one I'd like to Eurostar at some point in the future, regardless of how the coach turns out.

Last edited:

MrGrumpy

I used Ouibus last September overnight from Victoria to Amsterdam. NEVER again will I travel on long-distance international coaches, the experience put me right off.

Firstly, the seat wasn't very comfortable and the at-seat plug sockets didn't work.
Secondly, being rather long-legged, I felt crushed up in my seat.

Thirdly, we were three hours late into Amsterdam after spending the wasted time in a Dutch service station awaiting the delivery of a mouthpiece for the breathalyzer which was connected to the vehicle's ignition system!

On top of that, you're stuck on a bus for eleven hours.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
It's a shame that the regulations in some countries won't permit sleeper coaches as they'd be ideal for international travel. Even as a 6+ footer, the Megabus Gold sleeper was comfortable enough to get a reasonable amount of kip - more, in fact, than I get on a sleeper train with transverse bunks, as you avoid the blood alternating head/feet issue as the train corners. (The bus bunks run end to end rather than across the bus).

Best kip I ever got on a Sleeper train was one of the old DB passive tilt[1] Talgo sets on the lengthways couchettes. Shame the new Caledonian Sleeper won't do these - but I might well consider a pod flatbed in preference to a cabin as a result.

[1] The coach is mounted on the wheelsets via a top mount, allowing it to swing out at the bottom on corners - this makes for an odd looking coach as it is tapered towards the bottom rather than the top.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.