• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Purchased rail card tickets in error- can I excess

Status
Not open for further replies.

curtly

Hi,

my friend has purchased me tickets - First class advanced and has selected 25-30 rail cards believing I had a rail card. I do not have a rail card.
can I go to a ticket office to excess these tickets?

thanks
Curtly

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sonic2009

Established Member
Please provide details of the tickets held and where you are travelling from and to?

Are you eligible for any railcards?

curtly

Lancaster - Edinburgh advance first class single
Edinburgh- Lancaster advance first class single

no not eligible for any rail cards

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The easiest way to sort this out may be to refund them to an e-voucher via the travel with confidence scheme of the retailer, and then buy new undiscounted tickets with that voucher. Which retailer was used?

Some booking offices will do this as an excess but it is not an officially allowed one so you would have to shop around.

curtly

The easiest way to sort this out may be to refund them to an e-voucher via the travel with confidence scheme of the retailer, and then buy new undiscounted tickets with that voucher. Which retailer was used?

Some booking offices will do this as an excess but it is not an officially allowed one so you would have to shop around.
I used the northern app. I will try - I can’t see how to do the travel with confidence scheme on the website?

AlexNL

Established Member
If you're in the 26-30 age bracket it might be interesting to buy the Railcard, it's £30 and valid for a year. Gives you a good motivation to plan more trips by train, too. :)

curtly

If you're in the 26-30 age bracket it might be interesting to buy the Railcard, it's £30 and valid for a year. Gives you a good motivation to plan more trips by train, too. :)
Sadly too old now.
I have just tried the refund from northern . Will update if this works
Thanks

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
@curtly. At the risk of stating the glaringly obvious, please don't be tempted to travel on the incorrectly-discounted ticket(s) and expect to be able to sort out the issue by paying an excess, or some such, once you've boarded the train. You've done right to flag up the issue ahead of travel.

We've had any number of new folk on here of recent who have gotten into major bother attempting to use incorrectly-discounted tickets together with expired or non-existent railcards.

curtly

@curtly. At the risk of stating the glaringly obvious, please don't be tempted to travel on the incorrectly-discounted ticket(s) and expect to be able to sort out the issue by paying an excess, or some such, once you've boarded the train. You've done right to flag up the issue ahead of travel.

We've had any number of new folk on here of recent who have gotten into major bother attempting to use incorrectly-discounted tickets together with expired or non-existent railcards.
Thanks for this. 100% agree

Thanks I have done this

Hi all, update. Used the online form with Northern and they have cancelled the tickets and offered a cash refund. Very fast and great customer service.
Credit where it is due.

thank you for your help.

Last edited:

JoeM1V

Cambridge booking office did this as an excess for me once, they seemed quite happy to do it. Results elsewhere may vary.

Status
Not open for further replies.