• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Purchasing one day Travelcards online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it possible to purchase travelcards stand alone without any other ticket? I seem to be struggling.

Any help would be most welcome - thank you in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

James Wake

On the Southern website, type in a station, eg Ewell East to Stratford London, the £12 return option you get is an Off Peak Day Travelcard.

fandroid

Established Member
I just tried it for a day return for Basingstoke to Waterloo on SWT's mobile site, and it happily offered me a SuperOffpeak Travelcard as an option. However, it also showed Offpeak and Anytime Travelcards as options too, despite my entering tomorrow's date (a Saturday). I expect they catch one or two unwary fish that way. I just wish that I could expect the on-train staff to offer immediate refunds on the day of travel!

If it's purely a London Travelcard that's required, just enter two stations far enough apart within zones 1 to 6. Somewhere among the options a Travelcard should be offered.

causton

Established Member
I just wish that I could expect the on-train staff to offer immediate refunds on the day of travel!

Tell us how it can be done, please. :P The rail system is so fragmented that you can't even take a TOC's tickets bought online to the same TOC's ticket office for a refund as the website is completely separate from the booking office. (Nevermind the arrangement of actually getting the cash/card back to the person! :lol: )
The most the on-train staff could do is tell them to go back to the website they bought it from and they could probably get something!

fandroid

Established Member
It'll be cheaper to use Oyster or a contactless card.

That's not necessarily true. If you buy a Travelcard from stations outside London, the additional cost over a London Terminals ticket can be significantly lower than the daily cap on Oyster and Contactless. Also, with an Offpeak Travelcard, you don't get charged peak fares between 4pm and 7pm on weekdays. The discount depends on the TOC and the route, but it's worth checking what's offered.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I just tried it for a day return for Basingstoke to Waterloo on SWT's mobile site, and it happily offered me a SuperOffpeak Travelcard as an option. However, it also showed Offpeak and Anytime Travelcards as options too, despite my entering tomorrow's date (a Saturday). I expect they catch one or two unwary fish that way. I just wish that I could expect the on-train staff to offer immediate refunds on the day of travel!

The more I think about it, the more I consider that those irrelevant and expensive ticket offers on the SWT website are close to fraudulent. They are certainly very comparable to the PPI mis-selling that the banks were forced to pro-actively give refunds (plus compensation!) for. It would be interesting to hear from staff how often they come across day returns like these (at weekends and on bank holidays) that charge large extra sums for absolutely zero extra benefit to the passenger.

sarahj

Established Member
That's not necessarily true. If you buy a Travelcard from stations outside London, the additional cost over a London Terminals ticket can be significantly lower than the daily cap on Oyster and Contactless. Also, with an Offpeak Travelcard, you don't get charged peak fares between 4pm and 7pm on weekdays. The discount depends on the TOC and the route, but it's worth checking what's offered.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

The more I think about it, the more I consider that those irrelevant and expensive ticket offers on the SWT website are close to fraudulent. They are certainly very comparable to the PPI mis-selling that the banks were forced to pro-actively give refunds (plus compensation!) for. It would be interesting to hear from staff how often they come across day returns like these (at weekends and on bank holidays) that charge large extra sums for absolutely zero extra benefit to the passenger.

It would. wouldn't it. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.