• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Quadruple headed container train

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjm77

4K51, a Freightliner container train from Trafford Park to Crewe, has just crawled past my window with 4 class 90s at the front! Is this normal? Or are they just using a scheduled freight train to relocate locomotives from A to B rather than sending them as a loose engine on their own and requiring an extra main line path?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

greyman42

Established Member
4K51 has just crawled past my window with 4 class 90s at the front! Is this normal? Or are they just using a scheduled freight train to relocate locomotives from A to B rather than sending them as a loose engine on their own and requiring an extra main line path?
Were the pans up?

D6975

Established Member
Light engine movements cost money. Adding locos to a service is a cheaper way of getting them from A to B.

driver9000

Established Member
Most likely it's the 2 leading locos with the pans up and 2 dead locos in transit to save a separate light move and crews.

Deepgreen

Established Member
There can be some spectacular headers to freights, but with only one loco powering. Of course it could be that extra adhesion was sought and two were powering.

Light engine movements cost money. Adding locos to a service is a cheaper way of getting them from A to B.
Probably also a little 'greener'.

Lucy1501

I was at Carlisle last week and saw something similar. A flask train heading to Sellafield with four 68s (only one seemed to be taking power) alongside four flasks, quite an odd sight compared to what I was expecting.

Numbskull100

There can be some spectacular headers to freights, but with only one loco powering. Of course it could be that extra adhesion was sought and two were powering.

Other than exceptionally light <1000t (ish) trains, 90s always run in pairs. Their 110mph gearing and light weight requires this.

Class15

On Moderation
4K51 has just crawled past my window with 4 class 90s at the front! Is this normal? Or are they just using a scheduled freight train to relocate locomotives from A to B rather than sending them as a loose engine on their own and requiring an extra main line path?
On Saturdays Freightliner wants the fleet at Basford Hall for the weekend so will run multiple out from a terminal to Basford Hall.

90s are almost always double headed.
If it’s 90s, I doubt it? But maybe there’s some other reason?

Last edited:

william.martin

On Moderation
4K51, a Freightliner container train from Trafford Park to Crewe, has just crawled past my window with 4 class 90s at the front! Is this normal? Or are they just using a scheduled freight train to relocate locomotives from A to B rather than sending them as a loose engine on their own and requiring an extra main line path?
As you say, a cheaper way of moving locos without placing in an extra path, also it could be that 2 of the locos failed so they were rescued by another 2 en route.

Status
Not open for further replies.