• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Qualified Driver looking at Southern and Southeastern

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mainline88

Hi All

First time poster here. This forum is a nice little gem. Wish I’d found it when I applied for the role. Just checked TOC websites every couple days for months.

I’m a qualified driver looking into changing TOCS.

After some investigation and thread reading I’ve come to the conclusion that my nearest depots are

Tonbridge
Orpington
Dartford
Gillingham

All of which are Southeastern. But
sometimes new depots crop up so wonder if Southern has one at Tonbridge too? If not then I believe I’m too far out for Southern as a TOC with their current depot list.

Does anyone currently employed at these TOCs know how strict they are with location distance from depot to home? I seem to be somewhat in the the middle just out of reach of some.

I currently travel nearly 30 miles to my depot. My employers are quiet relaxed in that, as long as your not late, responsible and not fatigued, it’s up to you where you live.

Relocation could be an option, but realistically not an immediate solution.

Just looking to change to a TOC closer to home which is as good a reason as any.

Does anyone know of possible qualified roles coming up in the near future?
Wether these depots are metro,mainline, or high speed only?
Is it progress only starting at metro and working up?

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated. Understand there are a lot of questions but don’t know anyone personally within these TOCS. Only so much information already out there is accurate to date.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Southern/Gatwick Express/GTR were advertising last year for qualifieds, although they were mainly London based IIRC. Haven't seen any since, although I haven't been looking.

Not sure what TOC you'd be coming from but I used to be DOO with a different company and wouldn't go back to it. I'd strongly factor this in to any decision.

Mainline88

Thanks 142094

I did see them a while back but trying to edge out of London. That’s where I currently work as a depot.

I’m DOO only with my current TOC. Definitely interested in guard services for a difference but don’t know any different.

Emmsie

I know one Southern driver that lives near Croydon and is based in Brighton but the journey time is probably less than 1 hour and I'm not sure if he moved this way after he got hired

Twedds74

Hi, SE are strict with commutable distance from depot, usually 10 miles from outer London depots or 5 miles from Central London Depots. They were advertising recently for Victoria and Orpington. Just keep an eye on their vacancy website.

bionic

Might be worth having a look at GTR too. They have depots opening at Orpington and Gillingham in May.

Mainline88

Hi, SE are strict with commutable distance from depot, usually 10 miles from outer London depots or 5 miles from Central London Depots. They were advertising recently for Victoria and Orpington. Just keep an eye on their vacancy website.

Ah that’s annoying.

Orpington, Gillingham and Dartford are all at a 12 miles from my home.

Tonbridge is the only one within the 10 miles.

Will keep an eye out

Mainline88

I know one Southern driver that lives near Croydon and is based in Brighton but the journey time is probably less than 1 hour and I'm not sure if he moved this way after he got hired
Yeah got a few at my depot that live further then me. Although most TOCs do specify a certain radius. Some can be slightly more relaxed

Status
Not open for further replies.