• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Qualified driver, Virgin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomas69

I am looking at applying for a qualified drivers position at Virgin. I am currently employed by Northern rail as a qualified driver for which I have just applied for a managers position.

Would my current employer find out that I have applied for Virgin? Or will they only know once the ATOC form has been requested?

When are ATOC forms requested?

What are the time scales for Virgin from applying to tests/interview?

What are the tests and the interview process etc for a qualified Virign driver job?

Cheers.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

lammergeier

The usual process is the new employer (Virgin) will send YOU (not Northern) the ATOC form to fill in (or provide you with a download link/somewhere to fill it in online.) You will either need to send it to Virgin before you are interviewed or take it with you to interview.

Nothing will then happen until a position is offered when they will send the form to your line manager or HR department to countersign to confirm you haven't told any porkies.

So if you don't get a job then your employer should never find out you applied. Of course, if you need to get the dates of or severity/category of incidents you've been involved with you might have to ask your manager prior to filling in the form. Goes without saying you must fill it in accurately! You will probably also need to know things like the date you qualified, what type of training course you took, when you took psych tests and what your result was etc. I managed to get this info without letting my manager know I applied by emailing specific people such as course trainer and psychometric testing company direct.

Not sure about application process with them but I have heard it can be "creative"

thomas69

The usual process is the new employer (Virgin) will send YOU (not Northern) the ATOC form to fill in (or provide you with a download link/somewhere to fill it in online.) You will either need to send it to Virgin before you are interviewed or take it with you to interview.

Nothing will then happen until a position is offered when they will send the form to your line manager or HR department to countersign to confirm you haven't told any porkies.

So if you don't get a job then your employer should never find out you applied. Of course, if you need to get the dates of or severity/category of incidents you've been involved with you might have to ask your manager prior to filling in the form. Goes without saying you must fill it in accurately! You will probably also need to know things like the date you qualified, what type of training course you took, when you took psych tests and what your result was etc. I managed to get this info without letting my manager know I applied by emailing specific people such as course trainer and psychometric testing company direct.

Not sure about application process with them but I have heard it can be "creative"
Thank you for this.
It seems I would be safe to apply then without my current employer finding out.

red2005

You will not be offered an interview date with Virgin until they are in possession of your signed off (by your current manager’s) transfer of safety critical information form, so your current gaffers will know that you’ve applied.

And it’s you that has to take the form to your current employers as well.....Virgin don’t go directly to them themselves.....it’s the first thing that’s done if you get through the sift, you won’t get an interview date until they’re in possession of it and it’s satisfactory.

Red

Status
Not open for further replies.