• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Qualified Train Drivers (Talent Bank) - Avanti - Multiple Locations (10/02/2023)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sorcerer

For anyone who has previously asked about Avanti recruiting qualified drivers, they are now recruiting for some in their talent bank at Euston, Manchester, Wolverhampton, and their new depot at Holyhead. Consider this to also be a megathread for anyone applying for these qualified positions. Good luck to all who apply.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TTDARL

Just ensure you are fully informed by a non speculative person in the know that actually works at your chosen depot before taking the jump. I am aware of several drivers that joined Avanti at the Euston depot in 2021 & 2022 and left within a couple of months due to the collective state of things over there. Those that joined Avanti and left in quick succession are excellent drivers, genuinely decent people, no incidents on their record and are well thought of & not ‘problematic’ drivers. It spoke volumes to the rest of us with the hard work they put into going over to Avanti and then leaving so soon and returning to their previous TOC.

Last edited:

Amex88

Just ensure you are fully informed by a non speculative person in the know that actually works at your chosen depot before taking the jump. I am aware of several drivers that joined Avanti at the Euston depot in 2021 & 2022 and left within a couple of months due to the collective state of things over there. Those that joined Avanti and left in quick succession are excellent drivers, genuinely decent people, no incidents on their record and are well thought of & not ‘problematic’ drivers. It spoke volumes to the rest of us with the hard work they put into going over to Avanti and then leaving so soon and returning to their previous TOC.
May I ask the reasons why they left please? Any info would be great. Saves me from applying as in all honesty I would say I am kind of like those sort of driver. Not perfect but on good. Could always be better as they say.
Thanks

DG85

Bit of a drop for a lot of tocs

Can anyone say how quickly it rises during training?

It’s rises after 80 days (route learning and signing off the Wolverhampton core) to £62k (Euston depot). Then £67k a year from start date or pass out.

anglian96

It’s rises after 80 days (route learning and signing off the Wolverhampton core) to £62k (Euston depot). Then £67k a year from start date or pass out.
Do drivers get London weighting? Or any taxi/hotel agreements in place do you know

DG85

Do drivers get London weighting? Or any taxi/hotel agreements in place do you know
I don’t think London Weighting is included anymore. But taxi agreement is in place for any shifts that start before 05:30am or 08:00 Sundays and shifts finishing after 00:30. Hotel/expenses are provided whilst training away from your home depot. Not outside of that unless during major disruption.

chad66

Would anyone have a current base roster for Euston?
Would be handy to take a look before applying
Thanks in advance

Established Member

Exactly the same experience here. Interestingly some established Avanti drivers are currently being interviewed for qualified driver roles where I am, despite a pay drop. That is rather telling and suggests all is not well.

Definitely worth speaking to people working there before making the jump at the moment.

TTDARL

May I ask the reasons why they left please? Any info would be great. Saves me from applying as in all honesty I would say I am kind of like those sort of driver. Not perfect but on good. Could always be better as they say.
Thanks
They made mention of the following:

Poor relations between DM team and the drivers. (Very ‘them and us’)

Getting IT / kit organised being difficult. (Such a big organisation, they were pushed from pillar to post trying to get basics sorted / organised)

Training issues. London drivers having to travel all the way to to Glasgow for training for several weeks. (Apprentice drivers given priority for the limited training places at the Crewe training academy)

Having to travel to Glasgow at the weekend, often when there are engineering works. Management would not facilitate other means of travel despite the union confirming it’s the company’s responsibility to facilitate other means of travel. The union advised the drivers not to attend the course until travel facilitated by management. Further delayed things.

Training school staff not always receptive to qualifieds from other TOCS which caused them difficulties.

Lack of trains to jump on and drive the initial core route required. (Apprentice drivers being given priority over qualifieds for this)

Lots of train cancellations.

Staying on the lower salary for an extended time due to not being able to get out and drive trains to learn on.

Most were happy when it was ‘Virgin’ but state that now it’s a ‘First group’ TOC things have declined significantly.

These are the main points I can recall mentioned by those that joined Avanti and returned to their respective TOCS.

But what doesn’t work for some might work for others so got to make your own mind up and see and hear things for yourself I guess. Just keep on good terms with your current TOC to potentially allow for a return should it not work out elsewhere.

anglian96

They made mention of the following:

Poor relations between DM team and the drivers. (Very ‘them and us’)

Getting IT / kit organised being difficult. (Such a big organisation, they were pushed from pillar to post trying to get basics sorted / organised)

Training issues. London drivers having to travel all the way to to Glasgow for training for several weeks. (Apprentice drivers given priority for the limited training places at the Crewe training academy)

Having to travel to Glasgow at the weekend, often when there are engineering works. Management would not facilitate other means of travel despite the union confirming it’s the company’s responsibility to facilitate other means of travel. The union advised the drivers not to attend the course until travel facilitated by management. Further delayed things.

Training school staff not always receptive to qualifieds from other TOCS which caused them difficulties.

Lack of trains to jump on and drive the initial core route required. (Apprentice drivers being given priority over qualifieds for this)

Lots of train cancellations.

Staying on the lower salary for an extended time due to not being able to get out and drive trains to learn on.

Most were happy when it was ‘Virgin’ but state that now it’s a ‘First group’ TOC things have declined significantly.

These are the main points I can recall mentioned by those that joined Avanti and returned to their respective TOCS.

But what doesn’t work for some might work for others so got to make your own mind up and see and hear things for yourself I guess. Just keep on good terms with your current TOC to potentially allow for a return should it not work out elsewhere.
Yeah that doesn't sound to good. I've also heard of people jumping ship or returning back to there TOCS/FOCS and this would explain why. Think I'll give it a miss applying lol

TTDARL

Yeah that doesn't sound to good. I've also heard of people jumping ship or returning back to there TOCS/FOCS and this would explain why. Think I'll give it a miss applying lol
Avanti has also approached qualified drivers that were unsuccessful in the Avanti recruitment process about a year ish ago and have now offered to proceed with their applications again.

anglian96

Avanti has also approached qualified drivers that were unsuccessful in the Avanti recruitment process about a year ish ago and have now offered to proceed with their applications again.
Seems abit desperate

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Interesting! Any idea when it's shelved until approximately?
No idea, depot itself has been finished for months now, sitting mostly idle gathering dust at not a small expense. We've asked to use their rooms until they are required as our depot is almost 3x the size it was when it opened.

It's gone very quite, some doubt it will ever happen

Junk_girl

Hi

Can anyone remember how many words/characters there was for the ‘why do you want to work for Avanti’ question?

Thanks

Scotrail88

Does polmadie just sign Preston - GLC or also to Edb?
Seems like must be decent shifts as can’t see anything more than;
Depot ECS - GLC - PRE BREAK PRE - GLC

Anybody got an idea of polmadie shifts if like that as can’t be more than 8 hour days

Efini92

Established Member
Does polmadie just sign Preston - GLC or also to Edb?
Seems like must be decent shifts as can’t see anything more than;
Depot ECS - GLC - PRE BREAK PRE - GLC

Anybody got an idea of polmadie shifts if like that as can’t be more than 8 hour days
They sign Edinburgh as well. Max turn length is 10 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.