• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Query re Island Line / Wightlink connection times

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisp37

We are travelling back from the Isle of Wight on Sunday 10 September. When we were last on the island earlier this year, the Island Line trains were terminating at Ryde Esplanade, although I see they are now running to Ryde Pier Head (albeit hourly rather than half-hourly). I've had a look at the Sunday timetable and can see that the Wightlink ferries depart Ryde Pier at around XX:45 but the Island Line trains don't arrive at Ryde Pier Head until XX:39 or XX:40. I assume the trains are intended to meet the ferries but 5 (or 6) minutes seems like too short a changeover time? Particularly if the train is delayed.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JonathanH

Veteran Member
I assume the trains are intended to meet the ferries but 5 (or 6) minutes seems like too short a changeover time?
There aren't a huge number of obstructions between the Pier Head platform and the ferry so you basically get straight on, with a quick ticket check.

Five minutes is ample.

DelW

Established Member
We are travelling back from the Isle of Wight on Sunday 10 September. When we were last on the island earlier this year, the Island Line trains were terminating at Ryde Esplanade, although I see they are now running to Ryde Pier Head (albeit hourly rather than half-hourly). I've had a look at the Sunday timetable and can see that the Wightlink ferries depart Ryde Pier at around XX:45 but the Island Line trains don't arrive at Ryde Pier Head until XX:39 or XX:40. I assume the trains are intended to meet the ferries but 5 (or 6) minutes seems like too short a changeover time? Particularly if the train is delayed.
The norm is that passengers for the ferry queue up in the terminal building until a few minutes before departure time (the ferry turnaround period is quite short). From the train door you have about a minute's walk to join the back of that queue, which is released towards the boat a minute or two later. It's quite a slick operation and is reliable unless the train is significantly late.

chrisp37

To what extent do they hold the ferry if the Island Line train is a couple of minutes late? We’re catching the 16.45 Wightlink ferry from Ryde to Portsmouth this afternoon and were planning on getting the 16.14 Island Line service from Shanklin arriving at Ryde Pier Head at 16.40. However, I’ve noticed that most of the services so far today have been arriving at Pier Head a couple of minutes late, and I’ve seen one delay of 6 minutes. I can well understand they wouldn’t hold the ferry for really long delays (yesterday there were quite extreme delays of in some cases over 40 minutes), but I assume Wightlink would be expecting passengers off the Island Line service and would generally wait for it to arrive before departing?

Gloster

Established Member
To what extent do they hold the ferry if the Island Line train is a couple of minutes late? We’re catching the 16.45 Wightlink ferry from Ryde to Portsmouth this afternoon and were planning on getting the 16.14 Island Line service from Shanklin arriving at Ryde Pier Head at 16.40. However, I’ve noticed that most of the services so far today have been arriving at Pier Head a couple of minutes late, and I’ve seen one delay of 6 minutes. I can well understand they wouldn’t hold the ferry for really long delays (yesterday there were quite extreme delays of in some cases over 40 minutes), but I assume Wightlink would be expecting passengers off the Island Line service and would generally wait for it to arrive before departing?

Although it is a while since I have done the trip, my understanding is that they only seem to hold the ferry if the passengers are already making their way from the train to the ferry. Even then, I think that they shut up shop as soon as they flood subsides. I don’t think they regard making allowances for rail passengers as a particularly important matter. As they are a captive market and it is no skin off Wightlink’s nose if they get fed up with missed connections and drive or walk to the Pier Head: Wightlink still gets its money.

However, as said, I haven’t caught a ferry for some years. My observations are based on experience and what can be seen from Union St.

Mike99

I was just looking on Real Time Trains seemed to be a short delay around 11:40 at Ryde St John's. Causing a knock on effect at Brading for following services awaiting the train back from Ryde Pier Head and Esplanade. Hope this resolves itself by the time you travel. Onward train travel from Portsmouth Harbour today seems to be bus replacement to Fareham or Havant.

chrisp37

Train was 2 minutes late but we just made the ferry. Was a tense train journey. I do think there needs to be more than a 5 minute changeover time from train to ferry if the trains are regularly two or three minutes late.

Gloster

Established Member
Train was 2 minutes late but we just made the ferry. Was a tense train journey. I do think there needs to be more than a 5 minute changeover time from train to ferry if the trains are regularly two or three minutes late.

There is so little turnaround time at Shanklin that trains would have to leave the Pier Head earlier, so reducing the connection time for passengers from the FastCats. It is probably impossible to square the circle, but (in my opinion) they aren’t really trying.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
There is so little turnaround time at Shanklin that trains would have to leave the Pier Head earlier, so reducing the connection time for passengers from the FastCats. It is probably impossible to square the circle, but (in my opinion) they aren’t really trying.

Returning to the 20-40 minute service with a short turnaround at the pier head and trains timed 10 minutes before and 10 minutes after the ferry with the 40 minute gap at the half hour when there is no ferry is probably the way to make it work.

chrisp37

There was a member of Wightlink staff standing at the end of the Island Line platform, who told us rail passengers running for the ferry not to worry as we had a few minutes yet. So it does seem that they don't completely ignore rail passengers? I guess if they know the train is on its way they'll look out for the passengers, but if the delay is too great the ferry will just go.

Established Member
The trains don't wait for the ferry. It cuts both ways.
Was at Lymington last night and the train waited a couple of minutes for the foot passengers off the ferry. There was even a wightlink employee stopping cars at the crossing.

Deafdoggie

Established Member
There was a member of Wightlink staff standing at the end of the Island Line platform, who told us rail passengers running for the ferry not to worry as we had a few minutes yet. So it does seem that they don't completely ignore rail passengers? I guess if they know the train is on its way they'll look out for the passengers, but if the delay is too great the ferry will just go.
The ferry does run late too. So if it's already delayed, no point in people rushing

geoffk

Established Member
I'm spending a few days on the IoW next week and will be taking the car across from Lymington. I hope to find the Island Line performing well - I see it's still an irregular 27/33 minute interval service with only one an hour going to the Pier Head. I expect the reason for this has been discussed elsewhere. I'll also be visiting the steam railway and bus museum. Any advice welcome as I've not been since 1999.

DelW

Established Member
I'm spending a few days on the IoW next week and will be taking the car across from Lymington. I hope to find the Island Line performing well - I see it's still an irregular 27/33 minute interval service with only one an hour going to the Pier Head. I expect the reason for this has been discussed elsewhere. I'll also be visiting the steam railway and bus museum. Any advice welcome as I've not been since 1999.
TBH I doubt you'll find that much on the island has changed since 1999 (some might suggest since 1969 :)). The steam line gets much of its traffic from visitors arriving at Haven Street by car, but you can still arrive at Smallbrook Junction by train or Wootton by bus. Last weekend Calbourne and Waggoner were running the service, and the weather was excellent. Other island attractions are available ;).

Status
Not open for further replies.