• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

question about clocks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fabien G

Dear all,

I have a question and you may be able to answer.

There are many different clocks in the stations. When these clocks are too old, broken, and need to be replaced, are they nowadays replaced by the same one single model of clock? If yes, which brand is it? Is it possible for an individual to buy one?

In the LT museum shop they only sell small clocks, and I tried to contact LT and never recieved any answer.

I imagine it maybe black or silver, with red digit, like this one maybe?:
(chromus newgate large wall clock)
www.onlinereality.co.uk/prod/28721/chromus-newgate-large-wall-clock
But Newgate told me they were not the official LT clock supplier, and on their own website they don't even sell this.

It is well known that the brand Mondaine is the official Swiss railway clock, and it's possible to buy them.
The London transport tube and its is roundel is so world famous that I am surprised that I can't see an official clock of the London Tube to buy anywhere.

Thanks for your answers.

Fabien

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

VauxhallandI

Established Member
I got this from John Lewis, it stands about 5ft. It had a red seconds hand but it failed and I’m struggling to find a replacement cog mechanism that’s the right size. I still have the hand

Attachments

• BC9B62C0-9786-4A50-A86C-848B66B13C13.jpeg
    BC9B62C0-9786-4A50-A86C-848B66B13C13.jpeg
    792.8 KB · Views: 63

Gag Halfrunt

The Self Winding Clock Company clocks currently seen at Underground stations must be replicas, because the company name is typeset in Zapf Chancery (introduced in 1979) or a lookalike -- it actually looks more like Monotype Corsiva.

bcarmicle

May be worth putting in a Freedom of Information Act request in if you’re very keen on finding out?

Fabien G

Thank you.
I think they have more important things to do than to answer my question... ;)

VauxhallandI

Established Member
Thank you.
I think they have more important things to do than to answer my question... ;)
Thy have people specifically employed to answer these questions so I wouldn't worry about it. In fact they might enjoy answering one which isn't a thinly veiled attempt to garner info to throw back at them

Fabien G

OK, i'll try that then.

-----

Ok, I finally recieved an answer from LT:

“Regrettably there isn’t an ‘official’ supplier of clocks to Transport for London, like for example Gents of Leicester from bygone days. This is a thing of the past, an era that’s gone now. In terms of our surviving old clocks in some of our mainline stations, the mechanisms for these are almost infinitely replaceable so are unlikely to need full replacement. If they do, then we would opt for digital signs that provide more information than just the time.” Alex C.

Thank you again.

Keep up the good job with the forum and enjoy London/England you lucky people.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.