• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Question about HSTs seen with Southern (D)EMUs in Youtube video

Tw99

Youtube recently suggested a video showing Southern EMUs, in the 1990s. I was surprised by a couple of the shots, which showed a Headcode 92 EMU (BIG type ?) crossing with an HST on a slightly elevated line. Then later on, a 3 car DEMU (Hampshire type?) crossing with an HST in a different location. Time codes are 16:33 and 19:06 in the video. Can anyone say where these locations are, and/or what service were the HSTs used on ? Was it a regular service or some sort of special ?

(Apologies in advance if this post transgresses some part of the Forum posting policy, I seem to find it almost impossible to quote an external source on here without getting my knuckles rapped!).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

alistairlees

Established Member
The location is Worting Junction, west of Basingstoke. The HST is on a CrossCountry service from Bournemouth, and the DEMU on a Salisbury to Reading service

Magdalia

Established Member
(Apologies in advance if this post transgresses some part of the Forum posting policy, I seem to find it almost impossible to quote an external source on here without getting my knuckles rapped!).
I had this too, but I stumbled on a way round it.

Before your quote type in the word "quote" but with [ and ] instead of the quotation marks.

Then paste in your quote.

At the end type in "/quote" but with [ and ] instead of the quotation marks.

Gloster

Established Member
If my memory has not failed, the first is taken from the south side of the line just east of Battledown, while the second is from a less common location north of the Salisbury line west of Battledown. Battledown is where the Up Winchester crosses the Up and Down Salisbury; Worting Junction is a bit further east. I reckon that the DEMU is heading towards Salisbury.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
If my memory has not failed, the first is taken from the south side of the line just east of Battledown, while the second is from a less common location north of the Salisbury line west of Battledown. Battledown is where the Up Winchester crosses the Up and Down Salisbury; Worting Junction is a bit further east. I reckon that the DEMU is heading towards Salisbury.
IIRC your second less common view was taken about three hundred yards up Pack Lane, which goes under the line just east of Battledown Flyover, but for some years a mature hedge has prevented the view of the flyover, possibly why it’s rarely seen nowadays. Agreed the DEMU service has just been accidentally described by @alistairlees in the wrong direction.

alistairlees

Established Member
Yes, I thought it was from the south side but you are correct that it's from the north side, now that I look again!

Somewhere

Youtube recently suggested a video showing Southern EMUs, in the 1990s. I was surprised by a couple of the shots, which showed a Headcode 92 EMU (BIG type ?) crossing with an HST on a slightly elevated line. Then later on, a 3 car DEMU (Hampshire type?) crossing with an HST in a different location. Time codes are 16:33 and 19:06 in the video. Can anyone say where these locations are, and/or what service were the HSTs used on ? Was it a regular service or some sort of special ?

The EMU at 16:33 looks like a CIG/BEP/CIG to me. A BIG was a CIG with a buffet car and I couldn't see a buffet car in either of the outer units
The middle unit looked like it had a buffet car - a BEP was a buffet version of a CEP

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Just from the description (and the mention of a 92 headcode) I thought it must be between Basingstoke and Bournemouth - the only place HSTs mixed it with SR units.

The refurbished CEPs and BEPs had hopper type windows, which identifies the middle unit as a BEP whilst the other two are CIGs - not that common on "92" headcode (Bournemouth) services so I was expecting the formation to be a TC/REP when I first saw it, but the presence of a 442 showed it was later than that.

And they are in fact all of the same area, Worting Junction, altghough soem are taken from southeast of the line and some from north of it. (The HST on the elevanted line is actually on the approach to the flyover seen later. As only trains running towards London use the flyover, it is fairly easy to work out which side of the line the camera is.

ac6000cw

Established Member
It's probably polite/useful to say if a YouTube video is your own content or someone else's.

I had this too, but I stumbled on a way round it.

Before your quote type in the word "quote" but with [ and ] instead of the quotation marks.

Then paste in your quote.

At the end type in "/quote" but with [ and ] instead of the quotation marks.

...or use the 'Quote' tool (the one with the 'double quote' icon) on the toolbar, which gives you a quotation box to type or paste into (as below):

This is an example quotation
It can also be used to turn a piece of existing text into a quotation, or to un-quote a existing quotation - just highlight the text and click the 'Quote' tool icon.

nw1

Established Member
Just from the description (and the mention of a 92 headcode) I thought it must be between Basingstoke and Bournemouth - the only place HSTs mixed it with SR units.

The refurbished CEPs and BEPs had hopper type windows, which identifies the middle unit as a BEP whilst the other two are CIGs - not that common on "92" headcode (Bournemouth) services so I was expecting the formation to be a TC/REP when I first saw it, but the presence of a 442 showed it was later than that.

And they are in fact all of the same area, Worting Junction, altghough soem are taken from southeast of the line and some from north of it. (The HST on the elevanted line is actually on the approach to the flyover seen later. As only trains running towards London use the flyover, it is fairly easy to work out which side of the line the camera is.
CIG/BEP combos appeared more on '92's during SWT days but this is clearly NSE era by the livery of the units.

HSTs appeared in 1992 (?) on Bournemouth services, IIRC, so it would date the videos to around 1992-95 before SWT livery started kicking in.

Not sure what working the '92' was, though.