• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Question: FIP on Stena Line

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaapstam

Hello everyone and a happy new year to all of you!

I am planning a rail/ferry trip through England, Wales and Ireland in March. As a railway employee from Germany I am using the FIP ticket.
One of my trips shall include Stena Line's Fishguard to Rosslare ferry service. Does anyone know how it actually works?

As I am travelling as a foot passenger, do I simply show up right in time for the ferry leaving?
The FIP ticket also says "Port tax must be paid" - Does anyone of you know how much this will presumably be?
And at last, for the 1310 ferry from Fishguard, will the train from Swansea, arriving at Fishguard Harbour at 1230 be early enough? Or do you recommend taking the earlier train, arriving at Fishguard harbour already at 0950?

Advance thanks you for all your helping comments and replies.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Port Tax tickets tend to be around £5 per person per journey and are usually obtained by calling the relevant ferry company.

Stena's number is 08448 471 471 and Irish Ferries is 08717 300 400.

Veteran Member
The 1230 arrival at Fishguard is the longstanding "boat train" for the ferry, and advertised by Stena for their Rail and Sail through travel.

jaapstam

The 1230 arrival at Fishguard is the longstanding "boat train" for the ferry, and advertised by Stena for their Rail and Sail through travel.

Thank you very much 30907.
Anybody knowing the area of Fishguard and can be of advice if it is recommend to take the earlier train anyway as there is something to see around the area (as a foot passenger so no car)?

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Thank you very much 30907.
Anybody knowing the area of Fishguard and can be of advice if it is recommend to take the earlier train anyway as there is something to see around the area (as a foot passenger so no car)?

Not really. Goodwick, the port of Fishguard, is a long walk from the main town, and there isn't a lot to see or do in Goodwick.
<iframe src="https://www.google.com/maps/embed?p...!2sGoodwick!5e0!3m2!1sen!2suk!4v1546382859513" width="600" height="450" frameborder="0" style="border:0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

gray1404

Established Member
No need to book or contact them in advance if you want to take your chances on the day that there will be a space for you and normally you will be able to do this without issue.

However, if you know the date and sailing that you require then you might as well call them, explain what ticket you have and ask them to make a foot passenger reservation for you. They will then advise you on the phone if they wish to take payment for departure tax when making the reservation or on the day of travel when you check in. That will give you some peace of mind on the day that there is a space on board for you.

theironroad

Established Member
Great to hear "gray1404", so no need to book or contact Stena Line in advance?

I'd try and book ahead, even if a day or two in advance.

The prv/fip tickets are limited and once the quota is sold You'd have to purchase a regular walk up ticket.
While I've never had an issue on the rosslare route, I have on the Holyhead route when the quota is full.

gray1404

Established Member
I have had problems too with quotas being full when travelling with friends who work for train companies. However, this has been on the Holyhead and Isle of Man routes. The staff have always been great and fixed it, by getting a Manager to release more quota (but I know this has been a good will gesture on their part rather then something you can expect). So yes, call ahead and make food passenger seat reservation even though it is the Rosslare route.

E759

From the Stena site
https://www.stenaline.co.uk/faqs/at-the-port/when-do-i-need-to-check-in-for-my-sailing

WHEN DO I NEED TO CHECK IN FOR MY SAILING?

Check in times for each route and craft are shown on your E-ticket and Reservation Advice. Please check before travelling. Some rail & sail services may have train arrivals scheduled after the latest check-in time.

Travellers can rest assured they will still be allowed to board. Should train services be delayed, sailings may wait to accommodate these foot passengers, subject to the captain's discretion.

jaapstam

Thank you very, very much for all your helpful advice! I will contact Stena Line in the next few days to make a reservation and everything will work fine. :)
Thanks a lot guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.