• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

question for people working at london Terminals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy-mc

For those working at stations in central London, if your depot is residential how easy is it getting to and from work during hours where buses/trains aren't running? What is the parking like at places like St Pancras, kings cross and Euston (if any) for both cars and motorbikes, or is it a case of it being best to be living in central London

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

transmanche

Established Member
For those working at stations in central London, if your depot is residential how easy is it getting to and from work during hours where buses/trains aren't running?
In London, apart from Christmas Day, the buses are always running!

steamybrian

Established Member
Several of my work colleagues worked at different London Terminals at various stages during their careers. They always took the train to work.
Never thought of driving into Central London-a complete NO -NO.
The hours of any shift work was altered to fit times when trains arrived and departed to get employees home.
Some rail routes ( and buses) run all night. Many others run to around midnight and start around 0400- 0500 in the morning.

Andy-mc

Thanks for the info guys, Unfortunately I haven't got a night bus to where I live but was thinking about using my motorbike if worse came to worse

whoosh

Established Member
St Pancras has a public car park under the station, which we got a swipe card for opening the barrier. The camera on entry and exit read your number plate which had to be registered so you weren't charged a fee.

Andy-mc

St Pancras has a public car park under the station, which we got a swipe card for opening the barrier. The camera on entry and exit read your number plate which had to be registered so you weren't charged a fee.

Thanks for the info whoosh, i didnt realise st pancras had a car park but i wasnt sure that if they did theyd be willing to give up prime parking space to staff, ive spoken to drivers who work for south west at waterloo and they only have something like 5 staff spots so wasn't sure on other terminuses

W230

Established Member
Thameslink drivers at Blackfriars get taxis to work, paid for by the company if you can't get in on a train.

From speaking to SE drivers they have some sort of parking at Victoria. Of course you have to factor in the congestion charge too...

CatfordCat

To go in to a bit more detail on the night bus thing, London's night buses don't run on the night of 24 to 25 December (buses wind down around midnight on the 24th) or night of 25 to 26 December (day route buses start up at normal Sunday times on 26 December)

You say night buses don't run where you are - would driving in as far as somewhere that they do (you say you're in Kent - would Bexleyheath, Orpington, Bromley be an option?) or driving to somewhere with an all night Thameslink service work?

Status
Not open for further replies.