• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Question regarding free travel

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am wondering if anyone can confirm that if working for GTR and entitled to free Train travel, this would also include travel on Southeastern . I know that they are all under the GOVIA umbrella , but am unsure if this would include Southeastern .
When I asked in the DMI they thought it would be, however on the letters that I was sent before each stage Southeastern was not mentioned for free travel,

The reason I ask is that I am hoping to receive the formal offer of a job as a Trainee train driver in the next couple of days for GTR , however my local station is serviced by Southeastern and it would be obviously better if I could have free travel up to the training centres which I believe will be Cannon Street.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lrd

Established Member
You will get free travel on all Govia services, which is GTR, Southeastern and London Midland at the moment.

You might not get it straight away though as you may have to pass a probation period but I doubt that is the case.

Scattle

Yes you do, youll recieve your staff travel pass in the first couple of days in your induction week which includes southeastern.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

causton

Established Member
Yes you do, youll recieve your staff travel pass in the first couple of days in your induction week which includes southeastern.

Is this specifically for GTR? For London Midland, I only got a LM pass for the first month or so so I wouldn't guarantee it!

Although an email or call to whatever your contact at the moment is, might get them to send you a letter authorising you to travel on SE until your proper pass comes through.

district

It took 2 weeks for my full Govia pass to come through, until then I had a handwritten pass for Southeastern services only. There are no restrictions on when the Govia pass can be used on the high speed any more either (there used to be 2? trains in the morning where staff travel was prohibited when HS first came in).

Scattle

Is this specifically for GTR? For London Midland, I only got a LM pass for the first month or so so I wouldn't guarantee it!

Although an email or call to whatever your contact at the moment is, might get them to send you a letter authorising you to travel on SE until your proper pass comes through.
Yes thats for GTR, our class started on a monday and had our passes on the wednesday. Gtr staff travel pass covers tl, gn, lm, gatwick express, southern, southeastern

Bigfoot

Just remember it's only free whilst govia holdthe franchises. Change one of the parent companies and you're stuffed. Well, you'll have to get a priv season arranged.

sw1ller

Established Member
As soon as you have your GWR ID, just go find the guard on the train and straight up ask if you can jump on! You'll have to be really unlucky to find a miserable one who refuses. I do it with Virgin all the time with my non-railway employee mrs.
As long as you ask first they're normally very good.
To help you find the guard on a longer train quickly, it's the car with the orange hazard light on as it stops.

westbrom

Ive also been on virgin and cross country trains with the mrs ,ask nicely and they let you on,sometimes first class!
I allways say if they need any assistance come and get me.
Worst case scenario ask them for a ticket with the priv card (75% off) or wait for next train hoping the guard is in a better mood,the guards themselves probably travel on other toc trains aswell.

Thank you guys for the additional comments. I have now received my formal job offer and along with it a letter of authority to travel on GTR ( Southern Thameslink, Great Northern ) and a periodical pass for South Eastern , excluding HS .

Status
Not open for further replies.