• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Question regarding sickness days and applying for a new job

Status
Not open for further replies.

OpsWeb

Abellio's reference request to your existing employer will ask:

1. What role you currently work in and since when?
2. Any disciplinary problems whilst employed?
3. Any periods of sickness over the last 3 years
4. Would you re-employ this person?
5. Any relevant information you wish to submit?

There's bit of a myth that an employer can't give a bad reference. Legally you tell your new perspective employer that you give permission for them to ask your current employer a reference so all good under GDRP / Data Protection.

An employer can say what they like, but in doing so - may leave themselves open to action from you if its detrimental (e.g. Yeah Ian worked for me but he's workshy and a lazy....) - you could argue that it is defamatory and take action against them if it was untrue. That's why HR like to take over reference writing to make sure its all fair and factual.

Having said that the majority of reference requests I used to get through were all yes/no type questions and answers to specific questions.

A new employer can withdraw a conditional offer for pretty much any reason as they can just say something along the lines of "unsatisfactory references". There is very little laws or regulation if any protecting you as you don't yet have a contract with them.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ciel

Abellio's reference request to your existing employer will ask:

1. What role you currently work in and since when?
2. Any disciplinary problems whilst employed?
3. Any periods of sickness over the last 3 years
4. Would you re-employ this person?
5. Any relevant information you wish to submit?

There's bit of a myth that an employer can't give a bad reference. Legally you tell your new perspective employer that you give permission for them to ask your current employer a reference so all good under GDRP / Data Protection.

An employer can say what they like, but in doing so - may leave themselves open to action from you if its detrimental (e.g. Yeah Ian worked for me but he's workshy and a lazy....) - you could argue that it is defamatory and take action against them if it was untrue. That's why HR like to take over reference writing to make sure its all fair and factual.

Having said that the majority of reference requests I used to get through were all yes/no type questions and answers to specific questions.

A new employer can withdraw a conditional offer for pretty much any reason as they can just say something along the lines of "unsatisfactory references". There is very little laws or regulation if any protecting you as you don't yet have a contract with them.

Hello,

I just got off the phone with the team at my fire rescue service office which deals with supplying references for fire fighters who are hoping to go for another job.

I've been told that the fire rescue service will never supply sickness days, and that they would only supply name, length of service, and fire service ID and other ID details.

OpsWeb

Hello,

I just got off the phone with the team at my fire rescue service office which deals with supplying references for fire fighters who are hoping to go for another job.

I've been told that the fire rescue service will never supply sickness days, and that they would only supply name, length of service, and fire service ID and other ID details.

Result. You should have nothing to worry about then! Your new employer will never know!

whoosh

Established Member
Do you remember how long ago this was? And what timeframe the rail company looked at?

It was probably about ten years ago, and over a 12 month period that was looked at I believe.

Anyway, I see you you are currently a Firefighter - quite a few of you have joined the railway and made a good job of it, so I wish you well. Considering all the stuff you've breathed in doing that job it's not surprising you suffered with a chest infection!

Mekiz79

I'm interested in this thread as I've just been accepted for crossrail as a trainee driver. In my current role as a Police officer I had a period of sickness due to work related stress between March and July last year. I haven't been off sick since i returned 15 months ago.

If this period of sickness is disclosed to crossrail am I going to find my offer withdrawn?

I'm interested in this thread as I've just been accepted for crossrail as a trainee driver. In my current role as a Police officer I had a period of sickness due to work related stress between March and July last year. I haven't been off sick since i returned 15 months ago.

If this period of sickness is disclosed to crossrail am I going to find my offer withdrawn?

Might be worth checking with HR and see what the policy is, but most references that I've dealt with have only asked for details for the last 12 months, in which case you'd be fine anyway.

Ciel

Might be worth checking with HR and see what the policy is, but most references that I've dealt with have only asked for details for the last 12 months, in which case you'd be fine anyway.

Yep. I contacted my HR, and they told me they wouldn't release my sickness details. :)

Ciel

It was probably about ten years ago, and over a 12 month period that was looked at I believe.

Anyway, I see you you are currently a Firefighter - quite a few of you have joined the railway and made a good job of it, so I wish you well. Considering all the stuff you've breathed in doing that job it's not surprising you suffered with a chest infection!

Thanks mate!

Yes, my chest infection was certainly not helped by the fact that I kept going into work, and breathing in fumes when cutting away homes to check for fire spread....

Status
Not open for further replies.