• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Question regarding staff travel pass

Status
Not open for further replies.

notadriver

Established Member
Scenario : on a Driver and Conductor operated train, if a conductor chooses to let Network rail staff (or staff from other companies) travel it is permitted and they overrule the decision of RPIs that may board enroute. But what about on a DOO service?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TOCDriver

Scenario : on a Driver and Conductor operated train, if a conductor chooses to let Network rail staff (or staff from other companies) travel it is permitted and they overrule the decision of RPIs that may board enroute. But what about on a DOO service?

What about RPI's doing the station checks though? The guard isn't there to support them.

TOCDriver

True enough. Its at their risk once they leave the train :(

Not worth the risk in my opinion. They also have to get past them to get to the platform in many stations as well! I would concentrate on lobbying the government and NR to get them their fair dues - they do deserve heavily discounted rail travel in my opinion.

Last edited:

Established Member
One operator last Thursday told it's staff not to accept Network Rail staff badges for travel 'under any circumstances'. General view of frontline staff following this seemed to be 'meh'.

rdeez

Interestingly a few months back I was on an XC service in first class. Sitting opposite me was a man wearing a Network Rail badge around his neck with a title like "Operations Manager" or something similar. When the TM was checking tickets, the man wordlessly held up the badge and the TM said "thank you" and moved on.

It would seem then that some within Network Rail get the priviledge of free first class travel?

TOCDriver

Interestingly a few months back I was on an XC service in first class. Sitting opposite me was a man wearing a Network Rail badge around his neck with a title like "Operations Manager" or something similar. When the TM was checking tickets, the man wordlessly held up the badge and the TM said "thank you" and moved on.

It would seem then that some within Network Rail get the priviledge of free first class travel?

Like I say, mate - it's a lottery. And it very much depends on who you know as well. A Network Rail manager will probably know an awful lot of TOC people whereas a bogstandard, grade 3 signaller will not know anybody at all.

Last edited:

Clip

Established Member
All depends on how you go about it though and the relationship you have with other departments but im not going to go into it at all on here. If you're going to bring up situations then I am afraid I will not answer how to overcome them.

rdeez

Seems a shame, doesn't it - some can get by fine on such informal arrangements. I actually wasn't aware until reading this thread that NR staff aren't entitled to discounted / free travel (officially) and very surprised about it! Seems they deserve it just as much as TOC staff. Anyway, sorry for dragging things a little off topic!

flu

Hi all! So if I worked for first great western would i get free travel on first capital connect services?

Daniel84

I'm due to start training with Northern on Monday. Firstly has anyone else who is also due to start had any passes or anything through the post? Secondly, I think I read somewhere that I am able to use TPE for travel between home and work? If this is the case it's the difference between arriving with 30 minutes to spare and 15 and obviously offers more flexibility.

On the same subject, has anyone much experience of the parking at Bolton? I did plan to drive, but after looking at the car park on maps, it seems to get quite busy and the train might be safer and easier option.

Thanks

evoluzione

There is a permit holders only area of the car park right at the top end, you can also park on the back of platform 4 if you follow the ramp up from the far end of the permit section, park and get your permit on the first say if you wish.

If travelling without uniform just show the TPE guard your TRANSEC Staff ID Pass and ask if it's ok to jump on.

When you've got your uniform you can usually just hop on any TOC's trains no bother, I always say hello to the guard when boarding just to be polite.

Enjoy your training :D

Last edited:

Daniel84

There is a permit holders only area of the car park right at the top end, you can park and get your permit on the first say if you wish.

If travelling without uniform just show the TPE guard your TRANSEC Staff ID Pass and ask if it's ok to jump on.

When you've got your uniform you can usually just hop on any TOC's trains no bother, I always say hello to the guard when boarding just to be polite.

Enjoy your training :D

Thanks, that's great. Just out of curiosity how long was it before you were given your uniform? Sorry to take the thread a little off topic.

evoluzione

Took about six weeks for me to get my uniform, it'll go to your Home Depot for picking up.

You don't need a suit and tie for the training school but shirt and pants is the way to go while you wait.

Fred26

Hi all! So if I worked for first great western would i get free travel on first capital connect services?

I work for FCC and get limited free travel on FGW. You'll get a pass with boxes, which you will need to write in the date, to get free travel. Once the boxes are gone, you pay. At priv rate obviously!

Daniel84

Took about six weeks for me to get my uniform, it'll go to your Home Depot for picking up.

You don't need a suit and tie for the training school but shirt and pants is the way to go while you wait.

Thanks again, I thought as much. As I've not had much call for business dress for a while I'd best pay the shops a visit to tide me over until then.

driver9000

Established Member
I'm due to start training with Northern on Monday. Firstly has anyone else who is also due to start had any passes or anything through the post? Secondly, I think I read somewhere that I am able to use TPE for travel between home and work? If this is the case it's the difference between arriving with 30 minutes to spare and 15 and obviously offers more flexibility.

You need to apply for a residential pass which will allow you to travel to/from work on TPE between the named stations on the pass.

Northernboy67

I have found these comments quite Interesting. I have applied for a position with a TOC, which is a different TOC to where I live. I see, I would not be allowed to use my Priv pass to get a discount to get to work. I may get some feedback with the conductors and revenue staff, that I generally chat to.

Northernboy67.

BLS

As you shouldn't use your priv card for commuting on another TOC does anyone know if you can use it towards buying a annual pass instead

Status
Not open for further replies.