• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Quick Brown Fox challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

b0b

Established Member
Are there any lines where every letter of the alphabet is used by the stations on the line?

If not, how close can you get? I imagine there is at least a 24 letter line.

tiebreaker: is the lowest number of stations to make the total :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
The Oxted Line does quite well, but alas, no Js Ks Qs Ys or Zs... 21

Zoe

Established Member
GWML has everything except j and q so that's 24.

Bedpan

Established Member
How about leaving Waterloo and travelling down the Guildford New Line as far as Claygate. There's A-Y in 15 1/4 miles:

WATERLoO, VaUXHall, QueenStowN roaD. ClaphaM JunctIon, earlsField, wimbledon, raynes ParK, new malden, BerrYlands, surbiton, hinchley wood, clayGate, 12 stations

I can't for the life of me think of anything with Z in it apart from Penzance.

b0b

Established Member
WATERLoO, VaUXHall, QueenStowN roaD. ClaphaM JunctIon, earlsField, wimbledon, raynes ParK, new malden, BerrYlands, surbiton, hinchley wood, clayGate, 12 stations

a 25! that's brilliant! well done... :D

Zoe

Established Member
Do we count that as a line though? It's the Bournmouth Main Line from Waterloo to Hampton Court Junction and the New Guildford Line from there. If it's just on train services then yes that would be 25.

Bedpan

Established Member
Well, you can get on a train at Waterloo and get off it at Claygate, and if I was in Claygate and asked somebody there if there was a railway line from there to London, I wouldn't expect them to say no. If you had to change trains, then I might agree with you, but as you don't, I don't :)

Equally I could stop at Berrylands and say 24 letters in 11 miles and 9 stations.

Or continue along the mainline to Weybridge for the "G" which would be 25 letters in 19 miles and 14 stations, only 2 more than Claygate.

Last edited:

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Ah Yes.

Aren't there any Junction stations on the GW Main Line? Pity they renamed Tiverton Junc as Tiverton Parkway!

Well... there is Severn Tunnel Junction on the South Wales part of the main line out of Paddington isn't there? But I think you lose a few of the other letters if you head in that direction?

StoneRoad

Tyne Valley Line.

Carlisle, Weatheral, Brampton, Haltwhistle (which was the Junction for Alston!) Hexham Corbridge, Riding Mill, Stocksfield, Prudhoe, Wylam, Blaydon, Metrocentre, Dunston and Newcastle Central.

no Q, or Z.

Eagle

Established Member
Or continue along the mainline to Weybridge for the "G" which would be 25 letters in 19 miles and 14 stations, only 2 more than Claygate.

So that means that until a couple of years ago when SWT had a Friday service to Penzance, that would've gone through every letter of the alphabet, albeit not stopping at all of them.

Do I win? :lol:

dzug2

Aberdeen Penzance is on the long side but probably covers everything except I can't think of a J offhand - except on diversionary routes.

Status
Not open for further replies.