• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Quidhampton Sidings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

72C

Can anybody advise if these sidings are still in use? I believe they generated traffic from Imerys that traveled out via Eastleigh. Any thoughts much appreciated.

Thanks

72C

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

72C

Thanks for your replies. Quidhampton sidings are at the junction of the Western and Southern lines on the Warminster side of Salisbury at Wilton. I understand the sidings use the former Western lines from Wilton to Salisbury after the track layout was rationalised many years ago.

All traffic now uses the former Southern lines dividing at Wilton for Warminster or Tisbury. The sidings are controlled by a ground frame.

cogload

They are disused as in there is no traffic, however they are used for occasional stabling purposes.

The last train out was empty tanks to Tavistock Junction, the last regular service was the trip to Eastleigh. The reason for the cessation in traffic was the refusal of the planning authority to extend the Quarry.

fgwrich

Established Member
But, i wonder if the area around Quidhampton Sidings could be used for a station serving the Wilton area? Wilton Parkway? That way, it could be served by the several Exeter / Gillingham bound SWT Services, as well as picking up traffic on the FGW route too - most notably, the Southampton Central terminators, or by increasing the Trans Wilts service to a regular Salisbury to Swindon service? and act as a Park & Ride for that end of Salisbury...

moonrakerz

But, i wonder if the area around Quidhampton Sidings could be used for a station serving the Wilton area? Wilton Parkway? .................and act as a Park & Ride for that end of Salisbury...

There already is a park and ride in Wilton - wouldn't have thought money would be available for another !

Status
Not open for further replies.