• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Race and Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trainfan344

Established Member
I'm nothing exciting really. Quite normal and bland. But I'm also unfit so a race would be no good for me. I'd probably lose.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I'm nothing exciting really. Quite normal and bland. But I'm also unfit so a race would be no good for me. I'd probably lose.

:lol:

I'm white but it's sometimes difficult to tell because I'm often covered in paint.

Butts

Veteran Member
Caucasian..... aka "heinz 57"

Qualify to play football for Scotland,England or Wales if i was good enough :p

Last edited:

Smelly_Diesel

I have always identified as a mixed race person. A father from Limerick (R.O.I) and my mother is Liverpool born with one Black Barbadian parent and one English / Irish parent.

Trog

Established Member
Somewhat localised white English, my Great great grandfather left a farm in a village five miles from where I sit to join the LNWR. With me retiring from Network Rail from a WCML office almost within sight of that village. Although one of my grandfathers did move from Newcastle to a town ten miles from here where he then met my grandmother, which is quite exotic compared to most of the rest of my ancestors.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Should someone called William Wallace on their birth certificate identify as English, without receiving a brick through the window, metaphorically speaking? Tis true, though - I suppose in my defence I could point to my shared birthday with both St George and William Shakespeare. Actually, I'd be quite happy to identify as European, despite not having ventured over either the English Channel or the North Sea during the course of this century.

45rpm

I`m caucasian British. Father from Scotland,mother was from Kent. My birth certificate says I was born in Howdenshire! A grandfather that I never had was from Alderney & I believe I have some Irish (pre the re-shaping in 1922 so were they British or Irish?!) ancestry.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I have always identified as a mixed race person. A father from Limerick (R.O.I) and my mother is Liverpool born with one Black Barbadian parent and one English / Irish parent.
I'd not have guessed! Having met you, I'd have just assumed you were 100% scouser!;)

cuccir

Established Member
It's been interesting to see people listing their skin colours and nationalities, but it's worth pointing out that beyond these there's really no such thing, at least from a biological standpoint, as 'race' (citations:12). The only thing that race is is a concept and set of behaviours towards people of varying skin colours and from different parts of the world....

DaleCooper

Established Member
It's been interesting to see people listing their skin colours and nationalities, but it's worth pointing out that beyond these there's really no such thing, at least from a biological standpoint, as 'race' (citations:12). The only thing that race is is a concept and set of behaviours towards people of varying skin colours and from different parts of the world....

Another interesting link:

https://skeptoid.com/episodes/4546

There's No Such Thing as Race... Or Is There?

We know that genetically, race does not exist; so why are we still using it in science?

Today we're going to take a deeper dive into one of the most popular themes in science in recent years: the recognition that genetically, there is no such thing as race. Nothing in our DNA identifies us as Caucasian, Mongoloid, or Negroid, or lends any support to the idea that any of those classifications might exist at all. No gene or combination of genes is unique to any race. Race, says today's common wisdom, is merely a "social construct" — it is a way we look at each other, make a snap judgement based on some obvious traits, and apply a label. This seems like a simple enough resolution of the question, and is not especially controversial. So why, then, does the question persist?

backontrack

Established Member
I'm not white. I'm not the same colour as a piece of paper. But I am relatively pale.

Status
Not open for further replies.