• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Radii and Gradients.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick

Just wondering how other BVE coders are working out curve radii on non-fictional routes, I was thinking on working out where the track curves (using either Pink or Orange OS Maps) and working out the radius of each corner from there, or does anyone know a better way?

Secondly gradients, I beleive there is a Ian Allan book showing BR Main Line steam gradients which I may use unless anyone has any other ideas for gradients?

Cheers.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dennis

Established Member
The way I have been doing curves on the Devizes line is to get the relevant maps from the getmapping web site, print it out and didvide the line into 100m lengths. Then use a compass (or should that be pair of compasses?) to find the average radius in that length of track.

For gradients, there are plenty of published gradient profiles around - using contours on maps unreliable becuase of the cuttings and embankments but can be used as a last resort.

Another advantage of using the getmapping site is that you can get accompanying photos which clearly show where to put things like hedges and rows of bushes. Not the same as getting out on location with a camera but I don't think many people will quibble if these are not 100% accurately done.

Nick

Dennis said:
The way I have been doing curves on the Devizes line is to get the relevant maps from the getmapping web site, print it out and didvide the line into 100m lengths. Then use a compass (or should that be pair of compasses?) to find the average radius in that length of track.

Even if say 50% of that section is a straight line whilst the remaining 50% is curved?

Dennis

Established Member
Nick said:
Dennis said:

Even if say 50% of that section is a straight line whilst the remaining 50% is curved?

I might break it down into shorter lengths if the curves are only short or if the transition is sharp. I would suggest that away from junctions and stations, especially if running at quite high speeds, very precise placement and radii of curves is not worth worrying about (as long as it loooks right). Lifes too short.

Status
Not open for further replies.