• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Radio Caroline’s 60th Birthday.

Condor7

This coming Friday to Sunday (29th March - 31st March) sees Radio Caroline celebrate their 60th year of broadcasting. From 1964 to 1990 this was as a so called pirate radio station when their boat The Ross Revenge was ship wrecked. Since then they have operated as a legal land based station from their studio in Kent, often to only a relatively few listeners due to the restrictions in how far they were allowed to broadcast their signal, but especially with the advent of the internet they can be heard all over the UK and the rest of the world. All income received was mainly to restore the Ross Revenge to make it sea worthy. In 2007 it was finally ready and was berthed at Tilbury Dock where it began shortly afterward broadcasting in addition to its main channel for one weekend a month via the internet across the UK and with a limited signal locally to Kent and surrounding areas.

In 2014 the boat was ready to go to sea and was anchored in the Black Water Estuary, where it still remains.
The main channel continues to broadcast 24 hours a day 7 days a week via the internet, also on DAB in 8 major cities in the UK, plus on 648am medium wave which can be heard most favourably in the lower half of the UK. They play a mix of album tracks and songs from across the decades. They now also have a sister station Caroline Flashback which mainly broadcasts via the internet only playing the songs from the 60’s to the 80’s.

With the help and support of Manx Radio in 2015 in addition to the main channel it was able to use their 1368am wave band which reaches the north west of the UK, and the monthly weekend broadcast became known as Caroline North, playing music from the 60’s to the 80’s with several of the dj’s from that era including The Emperor Rosko.

Full details can be found on their website www.radiocaroline.co.uk including details of this special 3 day broadcast.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Pete_uk

Established Member
I wish I had been around to listen to the pirates back in the day!

Caroline was and still is a legend

Harvester

Established Member
Brings back happy memories of a Holiday in north Kent as a teenager in August 1964. Days trainspotting in London, followed by evenings glued to Caroline with current hits from the Kinks (You really got me), Stones (It’s all over now), Beatles (A hard day’s night) blurting out.

Harvester

Established Member
More than just Caroline.
Radio London and Radio North Sea International were 2 more
I can remember Radio 270 transmitting off Scarborough. It closed down just before Radio 1 came on air in 1967, as did many of the pirates.

dangie

Established Member
Unfortunately up here in the Midlands I couldn’t receive Radio Caroline or any of the pirate stations. I had to settle for Radio Luxembourg, and that was only in the evening. I still remember with fondness the Top 20 on Sunday. Reception was often so poor that you’d get the beginning and end of a song but none in the middle. Good times though.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I can remember Radio 270 transmitting off Scarborough. It closed down just before Radio 1 came on air in 1967, as did many of the pirates.
That’s one we could receive quite well in Newcastle, presumably with them outside the 12 mile limit a reasonably good line of sight?

Condor7

It’s interesting those mentioning Radio 270. Although I posted this subject, I to struggled to get a good signal from Radio Caroline so 270 was my station of choice, but occasionally I managed to hear Caroline especially during the 80’s, but for me it was in the late 90’s in the early days of the internet that my love of Caroline developed, even though the signal kept buffering, which was just like back in the 60’s with the signal fading in and out. I loved the history but for me it was the music, they then as now play songs very hard to hear on UK radio, only yesterday when I was listening they played the full length version of Neil Young’s ‘Like A Hurricane’.

Where I now live I still struggle to get them on 648mw or their monthly Caroline North broadcasts on 1368mw, but with the power of todays internet I listen either on my internet radio, Alexa, or Google.

Furryanimal

In the seventies Caroline put a good signal into South Wales of an evening along with Radio North Sea International.
Even listened to Radio Mi Amigo on dark Winter mornings and evenings.
When Laser 558 came along their signal somehow got through in the daytime,albeit a bit weak.
Very much my station(s) of choice for music listening these days.
You get to hear stuff mainstream radio doesn’t touch.
Shame 648 kHz doesn’t penetrate here after dark.