• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

RAIB report on near miss with trackworkers October 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stampy

There was another near miss near Peterborough station on July 20th, according to the local rag....

At around 10:52am on Friday July 20, a track worker, acting as a site lookout for another track worker, narrowly avoided being struck by the 09:16am Leeds to King’s Cross passenger service, just to the south of Peterborough station.
The train was approaching along the up fast line at around 102 mph (164 km/h) when the driver saw the site lookout, sounded the train’s warning horn, and applied the train’s brakes.
The site lept out of the path of the approaching train about three seconds before the train passed him.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

2HAP

That third site was not a scheduled workplace according to the report. Technically, were they breaking the law by interfering with the railway at that site? The work being undertaken was not so urgent that trains could not have been run, was it?

edwin_m

Veteran Member
There was another near miss near Peterborough station on July 20th, according to the local rag....
The site lept out of the path of the approaching train about three seconds before the train passed him.

From RAIB: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/near-miss-with-track-worker-peterborough
The site lookout moved out of the path of the approaching train about three seconds before the train passed him.
The one-word alteration to the pasted text is wrong both in spelling and in meaning.

Established Member
I think another important consideration is if there have been similar occurrences that had not been reported . Maybe other near misses not quite as near as this , or regular use of an unsafe system of work such as this . If that is the case then that can breed complacency

Surely a driver who saw track workers suddenly leap out of the way at the last second, or even a few seconds before the train would have hit them, would report the incident.

ComUtoR

Established Member
Some would consider it a near miss, some wouldn't. I've been closer and not reported it but I've been further and its freaked me out. You make a judgement call.

whhistle

On Moderation
Yes, this would be an appropriate time to use the Railway Emergency Call (REC) function.
Thanks.
As this forum doesn't have a "like" function then I am forced to reply to tell you I appreciate you answering.

So the REC button doesn't turn signals within a defined area to red? It's purely a driver function to stop their train immediately? Emergency or just heavy breaking?

From what I read before, are all cab radios then tuned in to hear the conversation between the originating train and the signaller?

Maybe I am confusing two systems here.

headshot119

Established Member
Thanks.
As this forum doesn't have a "like" function then I am forced to reply to tell you I appreciate you answering.

So the REC button doesn't turn signals within a defined area to red? It's purely a driver function to stop their train immediately? Emergency or just heavy breaking?

From what I read before, are all cab radios then tuned in to hear the conversation between the originating train and the signaller?

Maybe I am confusing two systems here.

A REC call will connect you to the controlling Signaller, and all trains in your current GSMR cell, as well as those in adjacent cells. Control, the ECO, and other Signaller involved can monitor the call.

It doesn't turn any Signals to red, but on receiving the call all drivers should come to a stand using the emergency brake.

Last edited:

Sunset route

Established Member
A REC call will connect you to the controlling Signaller, and all trains in your current GSMR cell, as well as those in adjacent cells. Control, the ECO, and other Signaller involved can monitor the call.

It does turn any Signals to red, but on receiving the call all drivers should come to a stand using the emergency brake.

Im pretty sure yiu were meant to say it doesn’t turn signals to red. That will be up to the signaller to replace levers, buttons, and switches to danger or use All Signals On, Group Replacements, Emergency replacements, etc etc.

headshot119

Established Member
Im pretty sure yiu were meant to say it doesn’t turn signals to red. That will be up to the signaller to replace levers, buttons, and switches to danger or use All Signals On, Group Replacements, Emergency replacements, etc etc.

You're quite right, I did mean "doesn't", original post updated.

Gonzoiku

Some would consider it a near miss, some wouldn't. I've been closer and not reported it but I've been further and its freaked me out. You make a judgement call.
Seems that the PiC did just that, as explained in para 79 of the report:

"The actions of the PiC following the incident indicate a deliberate attempt to cover
up the near miss following the phone call from the TSM (paragraphs 55 and 56).
This further illustrates the attitude of the PiC towards safety, including a belief that
the VHRL team would not report the incident. Had the train driver not reported
the near miss, it is likely that the incident would never have been investigated."

Worser and worser!

GZ

sw1ller

Established Member
That reconstruction is an eye opener. You don’t get a good sense of speed from the video, absolutely terrifying. Felt so bad for that driver, you could hear the terror in his voice. Having had a near miss with a track worker myself, although nowhere near as close as this, this reconstruction has shocked me.

devinier

What neither the cab cctv, or the reconstruction video can portray is the drivers actual eye view. It’s more than likely that the track workers disappeared from the drivers view into his blind spot before they disappear from the video view.

Pete_uk

Established Member
Crazy, the driver thought he had hit multiple people.

What would have happened if he had mowed down two of them? Corporate manslaughter? I feel a bit awkward asking but I'm curious

alxndr

Established Member
What neither the cab cctv, or the reconstruction video can portray is the drivers actual eye view. It’s more than likely that the track workers disappeared from the drivers view into his blind spot before they disappear from the video view.

The driver shut his eyes anticipating the impact (and I can't blame him), so he had no idea that they'd managed to get clear at the very last second.

6Gman

Established Member

"The actions of the PiC following the incident indicate a deliberate attempt to cover
This further illustrates the attitude of the PiC towards safety, including a belief that
the near miss, it is likely that the incident would never have been investigated."

Worser and worser!

GZ

The behaviour of the PiC is extraordinary. Inexplicable. Long service and -it appears - no past blemishes on his record.

But his performance on the day was simply reckless.

Taunton

Established Member
There is a lot of good stuff (101-106) about NR supervisors putting inappropriate pressure on daily hired staff. It would be good also to see what pressures if any in turn NR's structure puts on the supervisor, and why. League tables for work completion? Bonuses linked to 'performance'? Promotional considerations? Targets?

SignallerJohn

The behaviour of the PiC is extraordinary. Inexplicable. Long service and -it appears - no past blemishes on his record.

But his performance on the day was simply reckless.
Or, he had done this multiple times, and it’s the first time an incident has happened.

It doesn't turn any Signals to red, but on receiving the call all drivers should come to a stand using the emergency brake.

The REC will send an emergency stop instruction to all trains in the cell and adjhacent cells. If the driver does not come to an emergency stop, they will be subject to investigation

OneOffDave

Or, he had done this multiple times, and it’s the first time an incident has happened.

Often it's that age old problem that if you cut a corner and get away with it, you assume it's safe and carry on doing it until one day it catches up with you

eman_resu

That reconstruction is an eye opener. You don’t get a good sense of speed from the video, absolutely terrifying. Felt so bad for that driver, you could hear the terror in his voice. Having had a near miss with a track worker myself, although nowhere near as close as this, this reconstruction has shocked me.

I've spent many hours trackside with line speeds of 125 mph, the driver / signaller call chills me to the bone

Worser and worser!

GZ

Wonder whether the PiC has heard the drivers call to the signalman yet. He should be forced to sit down and listen to it, several times....

HowardGWR

Established Member
It would be a good video (first bit), or similar, to show in schools, prior to school holidays. It could be ended with that very driver speaking direct to camera about how he doesn't want to kill children. There could also be one, 'the other way around' about how a driver was injured by stone throwing.
I'll now be told there already is one.

Termy

Crazy, the driver thought he had hit multiple people.

What would have happened if he had mowed down two of them? Corporate manslaughter? I feel a bit awkward asking but I'm curious

For the driver, or the site supervisor? I can't imagine anything for the driver, as it really wasn't his fault at all. Nothing he could do to prevent it. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.