• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rail Adhesion Train (RAT) on the District line

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColinC

Am I right in assuming that there is a RAT which operates over the entire length of the District line? If so, is it the one consisting of D78 stock 7010/8123/17010/8010/7123, which I understand is stabled at Acton.

Dependent on the above being true, is there a timetable available for it which is available to all and sundry?

Regards,
Colin

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bluegoblin7

Established Member
No, there is no RAT on the District, nor one stabled at Acton Town.

You are thinking of the Met line RAT, one of which is such, and generally lives at Neasden.

D7666

Were both the 5car D78 RATs completed and available and used ? Or only one completed and used while the other is how ? Must admit I have lost the plot on this one.

Nym

Established Member
They were both completed tested and comissioned for tripcock operation and I’m reliably informed they have both had ATP fitted.

Supercoss

Usually heads back to Neasden and can be viewed at Wembley Park at 10:05 most mornings , two similar 5 car sets active and a 3 car ' double ended' set in reserve for spares.
platform 6 at Wembley Park IMG_9928.jpeg

bluegoblin7

Established Member
The paths for the Met line RAT are available in the Timetable Notice (TTN 44/23) for the Met - lookout for train 710. https://content.tfl.gov.uk/ttn-44-23-metropolitan-2-oct-23.pdf

There are early morning, lunchtime, early evening and late evening paths - most of the time if not running the RAT can be found stabled at Watford. All branches get served, although Chesham is only first thing, before the first train.

For this year both RATs have been commissioned (for the first time) following the fitting of CBTC, although only one is nominally in use at any one time with the other as a cold spare. The formation listed above has done the bulk of the work this year.

The Met line RAT can also operate to Acton Town in an emergency to cover for the Piccadilly line RAT, although this would be last resort given it reduces mitigations on the Met Main.

Nym

Established Member
Usually heads back to Neasden and can be viewed at Wembley Park at 10:05 most mornings , two similar 5 car sets active and a 3 car ' double ended' set in reserve for spares.
platform 6 at Wembley Park View attachment 147268
Wow, still no-one fixed the paint patching for the stiffeners around the replacement headlights.

There was also a proposal for a fleet of *many* more D78 RATs given how good they were in engineering terms. We were looking at one for each side of the Central Line (in conjunction with other things to release trains for CLIP, yes we really did consider how to do it!). One for the western side of the picc and two for the district.

The design for CL-ATP fitment to a D78 was suspiciously well developed.

D7666

For this year both RATs have been commissioned (for the first time) following the fitting of CBTC, although only one is nominally in use at any one time with the other as a cold spare. The formation listed above has done the bulk of the work this year.
ta - like i said I had lost the plot on this one; this plot regained now; now about these other lost plots.................

Status
Not open for further replies.