• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rail Blue Glasgow excursion 6th Aug POSTPONED

Status
Not open for further replies.

markjp

Just got an email from them saying that the Kitchen Car is broken so the train is cancelled and will be given a new date. Looking at the Rail tour calender then its going to be a tight squeeze. Darn, I was really looking forward to the trip too despite having to get up at 3am to meet the train.
Rail Blue have had to cancel a few lately.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Masboroughlad

Established Member
Just got an email from them saying that the Kitchen Car is broken so the train is cancelled and will be given a new date. Looking at the Rail tour calender then its going to be a tight squeeze. Darn, I was really looking forward to the trip too despite having to get up at 3am to meet the train.

Couldn't they hire one from Riviera or West Coast? Pity not to have a back up plan.

markjp

I won't print the email incase it gets me into trouble but it says they tried every option. I imagine, because of the significance of the Railtour being a tribute to Mark Honey (great bloke) that it was a very difficult decision.

A date in the very near future is planned. Like I said, its going to be hard not to clash.

Masboroughlad

Established Member
Nothing on website. Bet they are busy contacting passengers.

RBC must be gutted on many fronts. Very professional, excellent organisation.

fgwrich

Established Member

Do wonder, and only a very slim wonder, if it has anything to do with the 67s? Seeing as one of the reasons sighted for DRS 47s Gaining the Cruise Liner Express contract was down the reliability of the ETS Supplied from the 67s...DBS Seem to have certainly offerd a cut price contract for Cargo D / Rail Blue as they use to use DRS for railtours and stock moves - Sadly the other reason why i havent chosen any of Rail Blues tours reccently - Give me a DRS 47 Over a everyday, everywhere DBS 67 Anyday!

Shame about the tour being cancelled though! Sounds like Cargo D could do with their other Mk1 Kitchen car back out and about - That, like DRS's own Mk2, are still in store in Eastleigh Works.

captainbigun

87002 would have lead northbound with 86101 handling the return.

A number of alternatives were looked at including replacing the kitchen with a Mk3 RFM, however this would have lead to reduced catering facilities. Far from ideal when trying to cook a three course meal.

Many of Mark's relatives were due to travel so I you can imagine how disappointing this is for the guys at Cargo-D. However, it is due to be redated, hopefully next month.

Established Member
So reduced catering facilities is deemed to be worse than a very very short notice cancellation and all the losses to punters that entails. Interesting.

captainbigun

Given that there were many paying for the catering, yes!

This train was for the late Mr Honey, so wading into all concerned is hardly going to make what is an already unfortunate situation better. Spare a thought for the family members that were due to travel as well as the team at Cargo-D.

Masboroughlad

Established Member
Given that there were many paying for the catering, yes!

This train was for the late Mr Honey, so wading into all concerned is hardly going to make what is an already unfortunate situation better. Spare a thought for the family members that were due to travel as well as the team at Cargo-D.

Well said. They must be gutted in many ways. I have every respect for Cargo-D and RBC and sure they want to provide the very best in Mark's memory.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
So reduced catering facilities is deemed to be worse than a very very short notice cancellation and all the losses to punters that entails. Interesting.

A dining special that can't provide full dining wouldn't work. Hats off to them for having the courage in their own great product to pull it and reschedule.

Last edited:

fgwrich

Established Member
Nothing to do with 67s! This tour was going to be worked by 86101 or 87002 or, more likely, both of them.

I know this tour was due to be hauled by TnT Electrics, but i was refering to the comment that was made about Rail Blue cancelling a few other tours as of late!

Either way, im sorry that it's been delayed yet again - not good for Cargo D / Rail Blue and the family and friends of the late Mr Honey - As it was a long battle with cancer, im even more sorry for his family and hope that the postponed tour will make up for having to postpone this one. Whilst Marks passing away is certainly sad, at least his legacy of Cargo D will live on and hopefully increase - Cargo D certainly has been good for the industry - If Cargo D hadnt taken on those rakes of Mk2 & Mk3s, then various TOCs would either be scrambling over Riveras rather ropey Mk2 rakes, Wrexham & Shropshire would possibly have had an even longer delayed start, We quite well could have lost several Mk3s to the scrapman, and im pleased that the livery chosen was British Rails Intercity livery - Smart, pleasing and matches various preserved locos still in exsistance...So RIP Mark, But at least your legacy lives on :)

Certainly Cargo D has done well, not just for themselves but for the likes of working with FGW / First Group, DB Regio / Chiltern / Wrexham, and smaller companies - Motorail Logistics, The AC Loco group, Brush Type 4 Fund etc...

Last edited:

Masboroughlad

Established Member
I know this tour was due to be hauled by TnT Electrics, but i was refering to the comment that was made about Rail Blue cancelling a few other tours as of late!

Either way, im sorry that it's been delayed yet again - not good for Cargo D / Rail Blue and the family and friends of the late Mr Honey - As it was a long battle with cancer, im even more sorry for his family and hope that the postponed tour will make up for having to postpone this one. Whilst Marks passing away is certainly sad, at least his legacy of Cargo D will live on and hopefully increase - Cargo D certainly has been good for the industry - If Cargo D hadnt taken on those rakes of Mk2 & Mk3s, then various TOCs would either be scrambling over Riveras rather ropey Mk2 rakes, Wrexham & Shropshire would possibly have had an even longer delayed start, We quite well could have lost several Mk3s to the scrapman, and im pleased that the livery chosen was British Rails Intercity livery - Smart, pleasing and matches various preserved locos still in exsistance...So RIP Mark, But at least your legacy lives on :)

Again, well said. He made a massive difference to the rolling stock market.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Wonder why there is no official notice on their website?

Crimson_Quiff

This is sad news. Hopefully the tour will get a run on a later date and give Mark the memorial he so rightfully deserves. A great bloke and sadly missed by many :(

Im glad i decided not to do this one after doing the 87002 Edinburgh last year in May, one of the reasons was the fact it wasnt 87002 in both directions another is that being based on Mersyside these tours a very difficult to join with last stop being Nuneaton. Last year i stayed in a B nB in Nuneaton then did it up to Edinburgh then back to Watford. it can get expensive with the various costs involved but i would not of been impressed if i would of booked two night accomodation to do the tour as this would of been non refundable.

A shame for everyone involved and those booked to go on it but very short notice as well and i know a lot of bashers who would of made hotel plans etc to do the tour. it seems trivial to cancel the tour because of the kitchen car but i know they offer more space than the standard mk3s but all in all this not good for rail blue and there customers.

markjp

I think I may share some of the blame:roll:. This is the THIRD tour in August that I was booked on that has been cancelled/postponed. Jinxed? perhaps. Fed up? Certainly.
If things come in three's then hopefully thats it. If they come in eights then you can write off September now.

Status
Not open for further replies.