• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rail electrification scrapped / 'suspended'?

Status
Not open for further replies.

All Line Rover

Established Member
Can't see any threads dedicated to this yet.

BBC said:
The government has scrapped the planned electrification of railway lines in Wales, the Midlands and the North.

Transport Secretary Chris Grayling said the government will instead introduce faster trains with more seats and better on-board facilities.

Routes between Cardiff and Swansea, and between Kettering, Nottingham and Sheffield, and between Windermere and Oxenholme will be affected.

Mr Grayling said the new trains on the Great Western and Midland Mainline would be bi-mode, meaning they could run on electrified sections of track and then transfer to non-electrified sections.

He said: "Thanks to this new technology disruptive electrification works... will no longer be needed."

"Passengers will benefit sooner and experience less disruption compared with putting up intrusive wires and masts along routes where they are no longer required."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40669869

Discuss?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

All Line Rover

Established Member
Best to have a dedicated thread, is it not, given that this is a 'new' government policy which appears to be common across all electrification schemes?

Dave1987

On Moderation
I've said it in the other thread but I will say it again here. There is one factor that has played in the politicians hands, bi-modes! They can get the positive PR why scrapping something that they don't like. Bi-modes killed electrification, end of....

thenorthern

Established Member
Looks like electrification to Sheffield is off now, I know they raised a couple of bridges along the Midland Main Line for the wires which seems rather a waste now.

All Line Rover

Established Member
If diesel obviates the need for "disruptive electrification works" and "putting up intrusive wires and masts", why bother with bi-mode trains at all? :roll:

Moonshot

Established Member
Extremely sad

Im not so sure it is.....train technolgy seems to be moving at a very past pace nowadays. I also cant help notice the number of homes when I m out and about on trains that have solar panels fitted on roof. Times are changing

Gareth Marston

Established Member
I've said it in the other thread but I will say it again here. There is one factor that has played in the politicians hands, bi-modes! They can get the positive PR why scrapping something that they don't like. Bi-modes killed electrification, end of....

But we don't know how these miracle trains will perform in actual service yet......oh yes and all that extra weight wears out track quicker and Govt has secured a deal with Hitachi at double the cost of providing straightforward electric trains.....

I cant see much positive PR in how this is being covered.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
But we don't know how these miracle trains will perform in actual service yet

Diesel generators are hardly some kind of mythical technology. Voyagers, much as some people don't like the interiors, are DEMUs. It's just a DEMU with a pantograph and a transformer. Nothing amazing about it, it's very mature technology.

snowball

Established Member
In addition to the two threads linked by philjo it's under discussion in the MML electrification thread and the CP6 HLOS thread, and has prompted the creation of the Narbeth tunnel thread.

Dave1987

On Moderation
But we don't know how these miracle trains will perform in actual service yet......oh yes and all that extra weight wears out track quicker and Govt has secured a deal with Hitachi at double the cost of providing straightforward electric trains.....

I cant see much positive PR in how this is being covered.

From the news articles I've read the DFT are still trying to spin it as good news. 'Passengers seeing the benefits of new trains' and 'no disruptive engineering works' blah blah blah. Sure seems to me like they are using the bi-modes to spin this as positive news.

broadgage

Im not so sure it is.....train technolgy seems to be moving at a very past pace nowadays. I also cant help notice the number of homes when I m out and about on trains that have solar panels fitted on roof. Times are changing

Agree, BUT surely the increased use of solar panels is a reason to push ahead with rail electrification and not a reason to cancel or postpone it.
Electricity used for traction supplies would be at least partially from renewable sources, whereas diesel fuel is almost entirely non-renewable.

OTOH doubts exist about the future reliability of UK electricity supplies in the winter evening peak, diesel fuel can be stored against shortages unlike electricity.

dtaylor84

I don't quite understand how ever increasing renewable electricity generation somehow makes the decision to stop investment in electric trains less sad.

Moonshot

Established Member
Agree, BUT surely the increased use of solar panels is a reason to push ahead with rail electrification and not a reason to cancel or postpone it.
Electricity used for traction supplies would be at least partially from renewable sources, whereas diesel fuel is almost entirely non-renewable.

OTOH doubts exist about the future reliability of UK electricity supplies in the winter evening peak, diesel fuel can be stored against shortages unlike electricity.

We could always bring back steam trains powered by biomass !!

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Routes between Cardiff and Swansea, and between Kettering, Nottingham and Sheffield, and between Windermere and Oxenholme will be affected.

I assume that Swindon Bristol via Bath, Oxford, Newbury and TPE will still go ahead?

thenorthern

Established Member
Has anyone noticed that after the 2015 election the Conservatives announced delays in electrifying the Midland Main Line and other lines and they deliberately waited until after the election.

Its now been just over a month since the last election and they have announced this, I think again they deliberately waited until after the election again.

snowball

Established Member
I assume that Swindon Bristol via Bath, Oxford, Newbury and TPE will still go ahead?
Newbury is definitely happening and is supposed to be ready by December 2018, the same as Didcot-Cardiff. The others (together with Bristol Parkway to TM and the branches to Windsor and Henley) are unknown, but my guess is they will happen in CP6.

kylemore

Abject Failure dressed up - a British speciality - see Dunkirk!

Talk about polishing a Turd!:lol:

snowball

Established Member
Has anyone noticed that after the 2015 election the Conservatives announced delays in electrifying the Midland Main Line and other lines and they deliberately waited until after the election.

Its now been just over a month since the last election and they have announced this, I think again they deliberately waited until after the election again.

I'm sure it was cynical calculation in 2015. I'm not so sure about this year as the election was unexpected, whereas today's date was fixed long in advance for the publication of the HLOS.

Money saved to be spent on HS2 I wonder? If further electrification is possible will it be in 3rd rail territory not so disruptive and or visually impacting? :lol:

All Line Rover

Established Member
The wires are already up, what's the point in taking them down?

I was alluding to my cynicism of Grayling using diesel as a justification for suspending electrification. It leads one to question the purpose of any electrification.

Last edited:

Money saved to be spent on HS2 I wonder? If further electrification is possible will it be in 3rd rail territory not so disruptive and or visually impacting?

thenorthern

Established Member
Money saved to be spent on HS2 I wonder? If further electrification is possible will it be in 3rd rail territory not so disruptive and or visually impacting? :lol:

Don't joke 3rd rail would be ideal for the Windermere Branch Line as it wouldn't involve catenary and given that it has a very low speed limit the limitations of 3rd rail in traveling over 80 mph wouldn't be an issue. :D

coppercapped

Established Member
Abject Failure dressed up - a British speciality - see Dunkirk!

Talk about polishing a Turd!:lol:

Wrong analogy.

The evacuation at Dunkirk was an outstanding success - it saved the bulk of the Army to fight again.

What led up to it was an abject failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.