• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rail Enthusiasts: Are you 'out'? Or are you still 'in'?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gaymale

I happened to spot this thread on April 1st! I couldn't believe it was actually for real. When anyone in a non-railway environment asks in casual conversation what I've been doing at the weekend I'd say I've been to a preserved railway or model railways exhibition without a second thought. Most people reply with something like "I took my [members of family] to [such and such line] for [a birthday, wedding anniversary or whatever] ...". There is generally someone else within earshot who is also interested if not an enthusiast as such.

Strange thing is 99% haven't a clue that I'm gay and I still hear all sorts of (generally derogatory) comments in casual conversations most days. Can't say that I've ever heard anything said about railway enthusiasts out of the blue!

I've heard of internalised homophobia in gay people, but never whatever the railway equivalent is for members of the "railway community" ... now I know someone here will come up with a suggestion for a term :-P

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

richw

Veteran Member
Myself and a colleague were chatting trains the other day, several other colleagues came over and joined in (both male and females) I do suspect there is a lot more interest in trains than we realise. Just look how popular heritage railways and model railways are. I suspect many recall memories with grandparents when they were young, as that seems a common theme amongst those I know

Minilad

Established Member
If you’re someone who works on the railway you wouldn’t out yourself as an enthusiast either, or only to others you know share an interest. Drivers in particular seem to have surprisingly few enthusiasts amongst their number, anecdotally a lower % than guards and platform staff.

I completely get that you don’t need to be an enthusiast to be a train driver, and that it can even be counterproductive in some situations, but my god it must be awful driving trains for a living if you can’t stand the sight of them. That might explain the endless moaning!

This is definitely not the case at my depot. Lots of enthusiasts here including many drivers. I have never hidden my interest and neither do most colleagues.
I have never understood the whole idea of not divulging that you are enthusiastic about the railway even when going to an interview. As long as you have the required skill set being an enthusiast is pretty much irrelevant to most.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
This is definitely not the case at my depot. Lots of enthusiasts here including many drivers. I have never hidden my interest and neither do most colleagues.
I have never understood the whole idea of not divulging that you are enthusiastic about the railway even when going to an interview. As long as you have the required skill set being an enthusiast is pretty much irrelevant to most.

Intrest - no problem.

Obsession bordering on mania that means you cant really function in the real world and hold meaningful relationships - not sure.

Robin Edwards

Hmmm - from the title of this thread I thought Rail Enthusiasts were being called to forge allegiance with striking railmen, French or otherwise!

Status
Not open for further replies.