• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rail Freight Flows and News UK

ScottDarg

Good to hear.

Roughly how many Anglo-Scottish intermodal services in total come out of Scotland each day - DRS, EWS, GB Railfreight and Freightliner?

I work it out as up to 14 on a week day. There are paths for more but the below are those that run fairly regularly. If anyone thinks of more feel free to add:
  1. 4E69 Elderslie - Tees Dock (GBRf)
  2. 4M35 Mossend- Seaforth (DB)
  3. 4E04 Mossend - Doncaster (GBRf)
  4. 4M25 Mossend - Daventry (DB)
  5. 4M48 Mossend - Daventry (DRS)
  6. 4M27 Mossend - Daventry (DRS)
  7. 4M49 Mossend - Daventry (DRS)
  8. 4E96 Mossend - Tees Dock (DB)
  9. 4E99 Grangemouth - Tees Dock (DB)
  10. 4M30 Grangemouth - Daventry (DB)
  11. 4M80 Coatbridge - Crewe (Freightliner)
  12. 4M11 Coatbridge - Crewe (Freightliner)
  13. 4L81 Coatbridge - London Gateway (Freightliner)
  14. 4L10 Coatbridge - Tilbury2 (DRS)

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter0124

Established Member
I work it out as up to 14 on a week day. There are paths for more but the below are those that run fairly regularly. If anyone thinks of more feel free to add:
  8. 4E98 Mossend - Tees Dock (DB)
4L89 Coatbridge - Felixstowe to make it 15!

muddythefish

On Moderation

Interesting. None to Felixstowe, Southampton or Manchester

stantheman

On Moderation
Is that list southbound only ?
Digressing slightly there are a number of local Mossend to Grangemouth trips ...do these normally have containers. Saw one last year and it was empty to Grmth

ScottDarg

Is that list southbound only ?
Digressing slightly there are a number of local Mossend to Grangemouth trips ...do these normally have containers. Saw one last year and it was empty to Grmth
Southbound only, though there'd be a similar number of Northbound equivalents. Also only included intermodal services - would be a longer list if all Anglo-Scottish freight was being discussed.

The Grangemouth trip workings can have containers on them but it's mostly a loco / wagon positioning move due to limited space and facilities at Grangemouth.

Last edited:

ABB125

Established Member
Are you able to add the booked traction to that list? Thanks!

Freightmaster

Established Member
Are you able to add the booked traction to that list? Thanks!
Here you go:

1. 4E69 Elderslie - Tees Dock (GBRf) [66]
  2. 4M35 Mossend- Seaforth (DB) [66]
  3. 4E04 Mossend - Doncaster (GBRf) [66]
  4. 4M25 Mossend - Daventry (DB) [90s]
  5. 4M48 Mossend - Daventry (DRS) [88]
  6. 4M27 Mossend - Daventry (DRS) [88]
  7. 4M49 Mossend - Daventry (DRS) [88]
  8. 4E96 Mossend - Tees Dock (DB) [66]
  9. 4E99 Grangemouth - Tees Dock (DB) [66]
  10. 4M30 Grangemouth - Daventry (DB) [66]
  11. 4M80 Coatbridge - Crewe (Freightliner) [90s]
  12. 4M11 Coatbridge - Crewe (Freightliner) [90s]
  13. 4L81 Coatbridge - London Gateway (Freightliner) [90s]
  14. 4L10 Coatbridge - Tilbury2 (DRS) [88]

MARK

ABB125

Established Member
Here you go:

1. 4E69 Elderslie - Tees Dock (GBRf) [66]
  2. 4M35 Mossend- Seaforth (DB) [66]
  3. 4E04 Mossend - Doncaster (GBRf) [66]
  4. 4M25 Mossend - Daventry (DB) [90s]
  5. 4M48 Mossend - Daventry (DRS) [88]
  6. 4M27 Mossend - Daventry (DRS) [88]
  7. 4M49 Mossend - Daventry (DRS) [88]
  8. 4E96 Mossend - Tees Dock (DB) [66]
  9. 4E99 Grangemouth - Tees Dock (DB) [66]
  10. 4M30 Grangemouth - Daventry (DB) [66]
  11. 4M80 Coatbridge - Crewe (Freightliner) [90s]
  12. 4M11 Coatbridge - Crewe (Freightliner) [90s]
  13. 4L81 Coatbridge - London Gateway (Freightliner) [90s]
  14. 4L10 Coatbridge - Tilbury2 (DRS) [88]

MARK
Thanks very much!

ExRes

Established Member

gazr

Yesterdays run was a trial rather than the start of the service, incidentally it was 60028 with 6 loaded JNAs

Thanks for the info...counting past 4 is hard for me, especially at speed :)

ExRes

Established Member
Not sure if it's been covered elsewhere, GBRf 60087 worked yesterdays empty 6D60 Tuebrook Sidings to Penmaenmawr Quarry to load the first train in over 10 years, 6K22 then worked to Crewe Basford Hall

Uncorroborated news that DCR are to start bringing Hemerdon Quarry aggregate from Newton Abbot to London

Penmorfa

The return 6K22 went to Tuebrook sidings not Crewe. The return was initially cancelled then reinsstated. It left at 17.19 and arrived at Tuebrook sidings at 19.39. The first GBRf livery loco on the coast, which was nice.

JKF

Not sure if it's been covered elsewhere, GBRf 60087 worked yesterdays empty 6D60 Tuebrook Sidings to Penmaenmawr Quarry to load the first train in over 10 years, 6K22 then worked to Crewe Basford Hall

Uncorroborated news that DCR are to start bringing Hemerdon Quarry aggregate from Newton Abbot to London
Presumably this is more HS2 traffic (or at least increased demand due to material from elsewhere being used on HS2).

From an enthusiast’s viewpoint it’s nice to see mothballed lines and facilities coming back into use, especially with relatively interesting traction (DCR 60s, various colourful GBRF locos). Local to me we’ve had Thornbury back up and running, Ashton Freightliner depot used for loading and briefly traffic reinstated on the Portbury line for stone brought in on coastal shipping. I’ve also heard rumours of a Meldon restarting. Fingers crossed for Tidenham next!

added 29/12:

DB cargo 66205 did a couple of route learning trips to Portbury yesterday, does anyone know if this is related to future freight work? The stone contract earlier in the year was operated by GBRF, so presumably these trips don’t relate to another helping of this traffic if it’s a different company’s loco doing route learning?

Last edited:

WatcherZero

Established Member
Several months later- does anybody know if there's been any developments on the proposed Heinz workings to Gathurst?

Not much news but still being worked up.

The company is still at the stage of deciding whether the creation of a “pad” or siding is viable. If it is, then detailed plans will be drawn up.

Of the experiment, a Kraft-Heinz spokesman said: “The trial was a simulation which involved a locomotive and 30 unloaded cradles.

“There was no need to run actual containers as there were no means to unload at this stage. The train was scheduled to arrive just after the last passenger train of the day had passed through the piece of railtrack next to the National Distribution Centre, this was around 23.30. There was a series of locomotive moves and the testing of safety procedures like signalling, points management, level crossings etc and then a simulated shuffle (six cradles at a time) every 30 minutes. The warehouse teams also simulated and timed internal site movements to ensure that the target timings per container move was within requirements. The trial was a complete success in both timings and the testing of our safety procedures and the next stage will be to work with commercial partners to build a business case together. The project is around the feasibility of creating a ‘rail-pad’ on the land between the railway line itself and the National Distribution Centre."

“This will progress if a commercially viable business case can be put together.”

Kraft-Heinz is being helped by the University of Hull’s Logistics Institute to improve its freight movement across Europe. The Liverpool-Humber Optimisation of Freight Transport scheme is designed to help haulage of Heinz products from the Netherlands to Kitt Green.
Could Wigan Heinz plant get its own railway station? | Wigan Today (www-wigantoday-net.translate.goog)

Brian1947

When Heinz decided to build its NDC close to its KG factory the proximity of the railway line was duly noted. The possibility of building a new siding was raised but was dismissed rather abruptly. Probably ruled out as the company, at that time, believed easy access to the motorways was a more important factor. Indeed, one of Heinz’ subsidiary companies was already using rail to transfer containers from Felixstowe to a north west railhead in the late 90’s, but was forced to cease this once its logistics operations were transferred to the NDC. Such was rail negativity at that time.

If developed to its full potential rail access would allow not only its imported finished goods (from the likes of Italy as well as the Netherlands) but many of its raw materials - beans and tomato paste come readily to mind. And considering the tonnages that leave the NDC each day why not use the existing Seaforth to Mossend service for product destined for Scotland? 20miles to Liverpool is much better than a 200 mile hike up the M6/M74!

Western 52

Does anyone know why the Robeston oil trains to Westerleigh are running via Swindon this week and reversing at Westerleigh Jct? The Theale trains are going via Reading West too. Why can't the Westerleigh trains run between Westerleigh Jct and Patchway directly rather than go via Swindon, Bath and Filton?

The exile

Established Member
Does anyone know why the Robeston oil trains to Westerleigh are running via Swindon this week and reversing at Westerleigh Jct? The Theale trains are going via Reading West too. Why can't the Westerleigh trains run between Westerleigh Jct and Patchway directly rather than go via Swindon, Bath and Filton?
Possibly the same engineering works that mean no passenger trains at Bristol Parkway all week?

SteveHFC

It's due to engineering works between (roughly) Yate and Gloucester, meaning the Robeston to Westerleigh trains can't run their WTT route via Chepstow & Gloucester.

How do I know? I was the one who processed the bid from DB Cargo and did the planning of the diversions and reversals at Westerleigh Jn. (I work for Network Rail in Capacity Planning)

The Theale trains will be running via Reading West due to engineering works somewhere between Bathampton Jn and Theale, I can't remember exactly where they are.

Donny_m

On Moderation
I was in Sharpness for the first time the yesterday (31st) and on the other side of the Severn I saw the Avonmouth Cement train run (rather short) on a train line I wasn’t really aware of.

Is this the normal route? Also i could swear they used to run out of Avonmouth at like 5am. Would be a nice spot for A drone shot if so, but I have a feeling it’s not?

Edit; looks like it was running Pengam-Penyfford

Western 52

It's due to engineering works between (roughly) Yate and Gloucester, meaning the Robeston to Westerleigh trains can't run their WTT route via Chepstow & Gloucester.

How do I know? I was the one who processed the bid from DB Cargo and did the planning of the diversions and reversals at Westerleigh Jn. (I work for Network Rail in Capacity Planning)

The Theale trains will be running via Reading West due to engineering works somewhere between Bathampton Jn and Theale, I can't remember exactly where they are.
Many thanks for the reply, all clear now!

JKF

DB cargo 66205 did a couple of route learning trips to Portbury yesterday, does anyone know if this is related to future freight work? The stone contract earlier in the year was operated by GBRF, so presumably these trips don’t relate to another helping of this traffic if it’s a different company’s loco doing route learning?

Just to follow up on this posting, there’s been several more crew training runs over the last three weeks, DB cargo locos where noted.

Additionally, I was having a meal at the Windmill in Portishead this afternoon overlooking the coast and bulk carrier Yeoman Star went past, which the ship radar website kindly informed me was en route from Portbury to Glensanda (quarry near Oban). This would be a strong indication that the stone traffic from Glensanda that was coming through Portbury and taken away by rail on a short contract last summer (for HS2 I believe) might be recommencing. Would be interested in having this confirmed, and whether this is now DB Cargo running or GBRF as before.

There are some Little Kimble-Tytherington trains and return that have started up. I have seen the empties heading West through Reading twice, both double headed DBS 66s. Is this the regular booked traction and does it also apply to the loaded Eastbound train?

Donny_m

On Moderation
Just to follow up on this posting, there’s been several more crew training runs over the last three weeks, DB cargo locos where noted.

Additionally, I was having a meal at the Windmill in Portishead this afternoon overlooking the coast and bulk carrier Yeoman Star went past, which the ship radar website kindly informed me was en route from Portbury to Glensanda (quarry near Oban). This would be a strong indication that the stone traffic from Glensanda that was coming through Portbury and taken away by rail on a short contract last summer (for HS2 I believe) might be recommencing. Would be interested in having this confirmed, and whether this is now DB Cargo running or GBRF as before.

one booked in Thursday