• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rail Freight Flows and News UK

BRX

Established Member
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Donny_m

On Moderation
A full set of knackered Hanson hoppers was sat in Bristol Freightliner Depot all week with ‘OJO going off hire’ cards on each wagon. Today it was taken to Crewe Bas Hall.

Very unusual for aggregate wagons as they’ve been on the quarry flows for decades, are they likely being scrapped, if so what’s replacing them?

Class 170101

Established Member
HS2 spoil trains have started running from Willesden to Cliffe (in addition to the existing Barrington trains). I'm not sure when the first one ran; they've been running since at least mid-January with GBRF haulage.
The loads run as 6O39 21:33 Willesden - Cliffe, returning as 6M39 04:07 Cliffe - Willesden, on the usual cross-London route via Kensington Olympia, Wandsworth Road, Nunhead, Lewisham and Sidcup.
Cliffe is not far from Hoo Junction, on the Grain branch, and it's usual role is to despatch sea-dredged aggregates.

There's a video on the HS2 channel which shows Willesden Hub and the spoil handling operations there:

HS2’s enormous spoil conveyor begins operation in West London​

(For a video showing longer cuts of train movements at Willesden without the frantic editing, the New Civil Engineer YouTube channel uploaded a video titled "HS2 Logistics Hub - Willesden Junction" last year).

I don't think the track layout has been altered much at Willesden since the removal of the container cranes; the main change seems to be the embedding of the tracks within concrete in the spoil loading area.

Why is there a pile of spoil at Willesden (as per video) would it not just be easier to direct the spoil conveyor belts direct to the wagons?

furnessvale

Established Member
Why is there a pile of spoil at Willesden (as per video) would it not just be easier to direct the spoil conveyor belts direct to the wagons?
Only if the train is there! If the train is absent, by your method the conveyors would stop. In practice, the conveyors will be sized to run continuously, tipping to stockpile when the train is absent.

BRX

Established Member
Also on the Grain branch, HS2 concrete segment trains are now running from Grain to West Ruislip, as mentioned in this thread - https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/hs2-freight-west-ruislip.242816/
These are using FBA (formerly British Gypsum KFA) and FEA intermodal flats fitted with modules that allow segments to be be loaded in a similar fashion to the Tallington - Grain service that finished last year.
Incidentally, 12 of the FCA wagons previously used on the Tallington service were moved empty from Tallington to Scunthorpe as 6E21 early on 4th February, hauled by 66117.

Loaded segment trains ran from Grain to West Ruislip on 26th, 28th Jan and 4th Feb, with the empties returning to Grain on 28th Jan, 3rd February and 6th Feb (66301 has just departed the siding at West Ruislip).
Empties run as 6O82 08:12 West Ruislip - Grain (via Neasden Jn, Kew East, Clapham Jn, Wandsworth Road, Nunhead, Lewisham, Barnehurst, Dartford)
The loaded train runs as 6M82 19:29 Grain - West Ruislip (via Sidcup, Lewisham, Wandsworth Road, Kensington Olympia, Acton Main Line, Greenford)

I've not seen a photo of the loaded train (which obviously runs in darkness at the moment) but here is a photo of the empties hauled by 66726 - https://www.flickr.com/photos/locohunter/52662638687

Have recently managed to catch the empties and also the loaded train, even if not in the best light.

Jacob Porrett

On Moderation
The Arpley to Donnington (Auto Train) ran today for the first time in a few years. Came in with a light load and went out light engine via Bushbury and Stafford.

ExRes

Established Member
Noticed on facebook today that Colas ran their first loaded service, 1325 6M33, from Penmaenmawr to Longport Colas, does anyone know if this is fresh or recycled aggregate?

Freightmaster

Established Member
Noticed on facebook today that Colas ran their first loaded service, 1325 6M33, from Penmaenmawr to Longport Colas, does anyone know if this is fresh or recycled aggregate?
Fresh stone - same as the existing flows to Longport from Redcar and Ravenstruther.

I'm presuming that the Ravenstruther flow won't be able to run during the
Carstairs blockade and Penmaenmawr is being trialled as an alternate source?

MARK

billh

I visited the Land Recovery website to find out more about their operations. I was surprised to find , under the various headings , long passages of Latin text, all of which was not relevent to LR.
Further web enquiry elsewhere explains why this has occurred but it makes the LR website useless for them and any potential customer wanting to put business their way.

Freightmaster

Established Member
I visited the Land Recovery website to find out more about their operations. I was surprised to find , under the various headings , long passages of Latin text, all of which was not relevent to LR.
Further web enquiry elsewhere explains why this has occurred but it makes the LR website useless for them and any potential customer wanting to put business their way.

Lorem ipsum ;)

MARK

Freightmaster

Established Member
Anyone know what

6H51 1105 Hardendale Qry Shap (Fhh) to Tunstead Sdgs is?​

(https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:H35873/2023-03-21/detailed)
I saw it on 21st, but without a good view you can't even tell if it is loaded or empties...
Empty bogie box wagons - it passes Freightmaster HQ most days and tends to use
a heavily graffitied rake of Freightliner boxes:

(not my photo!)

MARK

AndrewE

Established Member
Empty bogie box wagons - it passes Freightmaster HQ most days and tends to use
a heavily graffitied rake of Freightliner boxes:

(not my photo!)
MARK
Thanks for that... so I guess Peak District is being taken to Hardendale to be roasted there.

JD2168

There was a GBRf Class 66 with containers behind going from the Conisbrough line right onto the East Coast Main Line at Doncaster at around 5pm today.

Class15

On Moderation

66701GBRF

There has been a big downturn in terms of container volume recently which is why most operators have been temporarily cancelling services. It is expected to rise again after Easter.

66701GBRF

Multiple issues I suspect. This time of year is naturally quieter as recovering from shutdowns following Chinese new year. Plus the world economies in the toilet and people buying less probably doesn’t help.

railfan99

Established Member
Multiple issues I suspect. This time of year is naturally quieter as recovering from shutdowns following Chinese new year. Plus the world economies in the toilet and people buying less probably doesn’t help.

One other reason may be that in many developed economies, retailers that were initially running out of stock due to 'supply chain issues' (especially involving mainland communist China) then overcompensated by ordering large quantities, and now that 'normality' has (sort of) returned, some find they're overstocked.

Hence: lower imports, presumably reflected through lower container volumes coming in at Felixstowe et al.

furnessvale

Established Member
One other reason may be that in many developed economies, retailers that were initially running out of stock due to 'supply chain issues' (especially involving mainland communist China) then overcompensated by ordering large quantities, and now that 'normality' has (sort of) returned, some find they're overstocked.

Hence: lower imports, presumably reflected through lower container volumes coming in at Felixstowe et al.
I believe container rates have dropped through the floor for shipping companies, which is another sign of lower overall volumes.

CalderTrains

Not entirely sure if it will run... but looks like a steel wagon movement Arpley to Scunthorpe tonight...
0K77 15:56 Knottingley TMD to Arpley Sidings - 6K77 19:48 Arpley Sidings to Scunthorpe B.S.C(ENT.C) -
Not entirely sure if it will run... but looks like a steel wagon movement Arpley to Scunthorpe tonight...
0K77 15:56 Knottingley TMD to Arpley Sidings - 6K77 19:48 Arpley Sidings to Scunthorpe B.S.C(ENT.C) -
66177 now allocated.

Last edited: