• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rail map that you can record lines been on ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

route101

Established Member
Is there any railmap online that you can record where youve been ? Been inspired by all the stations .

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dhassell

I don't think there is any such website/app which lets you do this. The best option I can think of is buying a Rail Atlas. There are 2 which are the most used between most of us on here I think.

1) S.K Baker Rail Atlas Great Britain & Ireland.
This shows routes, for example London Paddington to Reading is 1 line, if you are not worried which particular line you travel on, for example the Up Slow, or Up Fast. This is the one for you.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rail-Atlas-Great-Britain-Ireland-x/dp/0860936694

2) Quail Track Diagrams
These have more detail than the Baker. It comes in 5 separate books as far as i'm aware, it has alot more detail than the Baker as I have said, as it has each particular, including sidings and such.
https://www.trackmaps.co.uk/

For just marking off lines as you travel on them. I would recommend the Baker Atlas.

alxndr

Established Member
I use a copy of the Project Mapping maps on which I've converted the lines to black and white, and then coloured them back in accordingly using photoshop. I use red for lines I've travelled over and stations I've travelled from, orange for lines I've walked or stations I've merely visited, and sometimes add some green for future booked journeys.

It works well for me, although it's hard to see the whole country at once, as I can easily switch between colours and all stations are marked, including London Underground and some metro ones. I have been tempted by a book, but it's less accessible and a pain to update when they make changes to the network, whereas I can usually splice in a new part digitally without redoing the whole thing. Easily added in little semi-relevant extras such as the Gosport-Portsmouth Ferry and the Emirates Airline cable car too. Not looking forward to Crossrail coming into existence though...

Last edited:

Kristofferson

Project Mapping is excellent. They do a huge 1A map which contains all the stations, and a selection of smaller ones (A2) which covers all lines and most stations.

In fact, I'm just about to get a PM map printed out to record my own route coverage!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.