• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

rail operative pay with nights and weekends ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaysub

can any share with me the breakdown pay for an operative (£23,765) and how much extra would the nights and weekends be on top?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bigdriver

Yes thats how my pals works out it’s 24 g on job advert but then add on 25 percent then any ot you do

Jaysub

Ok great,i dont suppose you know what a rail operative does on a daily basis,i was looking at this as a back door for signalling?

Bigdriver

U could be pway overheads or s n t lol

should tell you what u are in from don’t want pway ! I am from overheads good job n money

CJK64

So would that just be 25% added on to the annual salary?

No not at all. It would be just for the shifts that you work nights or weekends.

Depending on which contract you are on the enhancements vary. It usually ranges form 15-30% for midweek nights and 40% for weekends. You will get paid the week you do those shifts.

If you are a new starter it’s likely you will be on a NWR contract but that will follow the T’s & C’s that are predominant in your depot.

MT18

No not at all. It would be just for the shifts that you work nights or weekends.

Depending on which contract you are on the enhancements vary. It usually ranges form 15-30% for midweek nights and 40% for weekends. You will get paid the week you do those shifts.

If you are a new starter it’s likely you will be on a NWR contract but that will follow the T’s & C’s that are predominant in your depot.

I’m pretty sure a roster premium is added to your annual salary. So I am currently on a 25% roster which is in total added to my annual salary.

MT18

Ok great,i dont suppose you know what a rail operative does on a daily basis,i was looking at this as a back door for signalling?

There is no back door for signalling either, if you want a signalling job apply for it, pass the tests and be prepared to be rejected. I work in S&T and one the guys has had over 12 signaller applications rejected.

CJK64

I’m pretty sure a roster premium is added to your annual salary. So I am currently on a 25% roster which is in total added to my annual salary.

For an Operative? Never known any Operative to be paid anything other than per hours worked.
The only contract I know of that gives you a pre agreed enhancement is a Band 2A contract which is not for Ops.

Which route are you from? I’d genuinely be interested to hear if your agreement is for a NWR Operative.

alxndr

Established Member
Assuming it's a NR job the enhancement for working nights and weekends only applies to the hours worked during nights and weekends. It's impossible to say what you'd end up earning per annum as it depends on how many nights and weekends you work, plus overtime of course. You could in theory work no nights or weekends at all, so you can't rely on it.

The percentage differs depending on where you are as well as not all contracts are the same - we're on ex-Carillion/GTRM contracts and so only get 10% enhancement.

So if you were on (for example) a 35 hour week contract with 10% enhancement you'd be on £13.06 an hour for anything worked on weekdays and £14.36 during nights and weekends.

As for what a "rail operative" does, it would depend on the department. If it's p-way then it'll be heavy work shovelling and packing ballast, changing sleepers and rails, or patrolling. Often you'd be in a large gang. If it's S&T it'll be smaller (generally 3 man) teams and include more driving, cleaning, and working as instructed on electrical and mechanical equipment until you start to pick things up of your own right. There's various other departments but I'm not so familiar with how they run.

In terms of a backdoor for signalling, it would only help if it is a NR job by allowing you to apply for internal vacancies. No guarantees that you'll ever get a job offer as a signaller, so you want something you won't mind doing, possibly forever.

Jaysub

There is no back door for signalling either, if you want a signalling job apply for it, pass the tests and be prepared to be rejected. I work in S&T and one the guys has had over 12 signaller applications rejected.

For an Operative? Never known any Operative to be paid anything other than per hours worked.
The only contract I know of that gives you a pre agreed enhancement is a Band 2A contract which is not for Ops.

Which route are you from? I’d genuinely be interested to hear if your agreement is for a NWR Operative.

Assuming it's a NR job the enhancement for working nights and weekends only applies to the hours worked during nights and weekends. It's impossible to say what you'd end up earning per annum as it depends on how many nights and weekends you work, plus overtime of course. You could in theory work no nights or weekends at all, so you can't rely on it.

The percentage differs depending on where you are as well as not all contracts are the same - we're on ex-Carillion/GTRM contracts and so only get 10% enhancement.

So if you were on (for example) a 35 hour week contract with 10% enhancement you'd be on £13.06 an hour for anything worked on weekdays and £14.36 during nights and weekends.

As for what a "rail operative" does, it would depend on the department. If it's p-way then it'll be heavy work shovelling and packing ballast, changing sleepers and rails, or patrolling. Often you'd be in a large gang. If it's S&T it'll be smaller (generally 3 man) teams and include more driving, cleaning, and working as instructed on electrical and mechanical equipment until you start to pick things up of your own right. There's various other departments but I'm not so familiar with how they run.

In terms of a backdoor for signalling, it would only help if it is a NR job by allowing you to apply for internal vacancies. No guarantees that you'll ever get a job offer as a signaller, so you want something you won't mind doing, possibly forever.

Thanks for the info guys,yea was only asking because ad says £23765 without nights and weekends and have been applying for a signaller for over a year now and was looking other ways to get in,job was under NR in eastleigh but never mind.will still keep on applying as a sig then!

M84

Same positon here. Originally wanted track but offered OH lines.

I know a few people on the tracks and they have told me that OH lines is much better job than track. Not sure why but I just want an interesting and long career. A decent wage after the three years would help too.

alxndr

Established Member
Same positon here. Originally wanted track but offered OH lines.

I know a few people on the tracks and they have told me that OH lines is much better job than track. Not sure why but I just want an interesting and long career. A decent wage after the three years would help too.

Day to day with pway (track) isn't that exciting, lots and lots of shovelling. If you go up in the ranks it gets more interesting, but I'd imagine it'd be easier to get stuck in and involved with more interesting stuff earlier on in OHL. Not saying pway is a bad job, it's just not quite so easy to get to the point you're involved technically rather than just doing what's needed of you as the ratio of operatives to leaders is higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.